Food & Drink

Grumpy Bear

On 5/29/2022 at 10:24 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

Pheasant Appetizers

This one isn't mine. Neighbors, father and son, hunt, fish, trap, forage like it was 1820 plus garden like pro's. They salt, smoke, can, pickle, dry, jerk and freeze. Good guys to know. Anyway I'm changing oil in Dizzy and the boy comes over with a plate full of grilled pheasant bites. They had a good hunt in the Dakota's year last and thawed a few for the days feast. 

Bite sized individual pheasant breast skewed and wrapped in jalapeno, Vidalia onion and hickory-mesquite  smoked thick bacon. No salt. No spices. Charcoal grilled. Not a Kabob but one bite per skewer. 

Dove, Quail or Chukar are great substitutes. 

On 4/27/2022 at 4:13 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

Chicken Noodle Soup

IMG_0519.thumb.JPG.2902edde265455b9fc3ea309eb43685b.JPG

I am not a fan of canned soups. Chemical soup and done on the cheap. I save that canned stuff for the sick bed when my taste is shot anyway and I just need the broth and salt. This is actually more of a stew consistency than soup. I didn't get this off line. This isn't my mother or grams recipe. This was an intuitive cook I just nailed first batch and am writing it down before I forget it. Steal it. Publish it. Make money on it. But enjoy it first. 

As with anything simple. FRESH high quality ingredients will make or break this dish. My only cheat was the stock. Look for one with the least crap in it. 

2 Quarts Chicken Stock

1 lb. Skinless, boneless chicken breast

12 ounce double yoke wide Amish egg noodles

125 grams celery sliced 1/4"

125 grams Carrot sliced 1/4" and halved

125 grams Sweet Onion

2 Tablespoons Virgin Olive Oil. 

1 Teaspoon of salt (to start)

1 Teaspoon coarse fresh cracked black Pepper

2 Bay leaves

Rosemary FRESH finely chopped. 

Poach Chicken for 30 minutes and rest for 10. Cube into 1/2" cubes. 

Sautee carrots, celery and onion with a bit of salt in the olive oil over medium heat until the onions are translucent. 

Add 2 quarts of Chicken stock and bring to a low boil adding salt, pepper and bay leaves. 

Add full bag of Noodles and bring back to a low boil uncovered. This part takes about 10 to 12 minutes. 

With about 5 minutes remaining on the noodles add chicken and stir well. Should still be hot and have little impact on boil. 

Pull from heat and add Rosemary to taste. A little is allot so use less and add. 

Remove Bay leaves. 

Serve with fresh dense artisan bread and salted butter. 

This a a dish best first shot as the noodles tend to cook with each reheat. I under poached the chicken by 10 minutes and it finishes during the last of the cook and rest. All in all 40 minute poach just like the earlier recipe. The veggies should be to tooth still. 

It's still great reheated next day or two but that noodle thing..... They will absorb more liquid which may require addition of more stock. Veggie or Chicken as you please. 

Okay, I will request this one to the wifey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Growing up with Depression Era parents colored my palate. While mother would not have approved of straining the egg to separate the thin albumen from the rest of the egg it's riddance eases the working and cleans up the presentation. 

Low heat fried in bacon fat and finished with crushed black pepper, horseradish and smoked paprika and eaten with fresh salted soda crackers. Dad would crush them into the yoke. They were used as an extender during his youth and something of an acquired taste. If the cracker is truly fresh it's very nice. If not it spoils the dish. Ditto on the horseradish. 

Simple foods. Great ingredients and careful prep.  

IMG_0718.thumb.JPG.8a88054684d9d55b8cac1c0c0a924f01.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sandwich Anyone?

Simple is good

I plan little and stumble across great more often than I deserve. Mrs. went into the store with me a few days ago to pick up some bread as she wanted to see what this Jen's Bakery had to offer and spotted a gem. A coarse wheat bread with green olives and Parmesan. Dense, grainy and frankly a bit dry but tasty stuff. 

She toasted some up as a late night snake with a good slather of butter and it was good...but.....I wondered. 

"Try that again but instead of butter try some of the aromatic olive oil." It went from good to "Are you kidding me"?

How about untoasted, olive oil and some salami and another cheese? Okay now I'm salivating as I write!

Well after trying three I've settled on Butterkase and paper thin hard salami. Easy on both. Four slices of meat and an 1/8" inch slice of cheese. Let the bread and oil shine. 

It's the bread really that makes this one work and using common commercial ingredients otherwise this is special. 

Now I wonder....top shelf ingredients? Can it get better? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Sandwich Anyone?

Simple is good

I plan little and stumble across great more often than I deserve. Mrs. went into the store with me a few days ago to pick up some bread as she wanted to see what this Jen's Bakery had to offer and spotted a gem. A coarse wheat bread with green olives and Parmesan. Dense, grainy and frankly a bit dry but tasty stuff. 

She toasted some up as a late night snake with a good slather of butter and it was good...but.....I wondered. 

"Try that again but instead of butter try some of the aromatic olive oil." It went from good to "Are you kidding me"?

How about untoasted, olive oil and some salami and another cheese? Okay now I'm salivating as I write!

Well after trying three I've settled on Butterkase and paper thin hard salami. Easy on both. Four slices of meat and an 1/8" inch slice of cheese. Let the bread and oil shine. 

It's the bread really that makes this one work and using common commercial ingredients otherwise this is special. 

Now I wonder....top shelf ingredients? Can it get better? 

What time is dinner?  We are known to drive a distance to sup with you....LOL   

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stanley Tucci 

Searching for Italy 

I've watched all three seasons of his show and on this year's season finally noticed something that seems a common thread. What we think is special and how that view is formed. I have no intention of breaking that down but just want to shine a light on the focus of it.

It isn't often taste. 

Something a friend hinted to about 40 years ago who was what I would call an insightful guy. Guy pays $2,000 for a bottle of wine at some swank restaurant.... why? Not because it tastes divine but because he feels someone will be impressed or because he believes it shows his stature on the ladder of life but what he would rather be drinking is a 59-cent bottle of Ripple. People eat tiny food with mile long names and pay big while walking away hungry because?????? Station, stature, :dunno:

The vocabulary is dazzling but the result is, well, ho-hum. 

People go ga-ga over olive oils. Infused oils. Vintage oils. And yes, tastes vary from region, olive, climate and so on but even COSTCO has a pretty decent oil for dipping bread. 

Tonight, I poached a Turkey Breast just like I do chicken and ya know what I found out? I like the taste of turkey.  Kind of like I like the taste of Tequlia. I drink mine warm with no wheels because? Lime and salt and chilling changes the taste and removes the 'bite'. Ditto turkey. Poached it is moist, fork tender and taste like turkey. No the spices, not the charing of fats or crisping of skins or hiding with stuffing or...or...or.... I had never eaten turkey that wasn't flavored with something else or with technique. Crazy good....

I like simple. 

• 3 weeks later...

Smoked Duck

Neighbor and his son. What can I say. Wood duck cherry wood smoked. Aged a week and a sage rub. Dialed this up with three 7-minute soft boiled medium eggs and cracked wheat toast, butter, salt and pepper. I've only had duck once before a lifetime ago and wasn't a fan, but this was very nice. I quit bird hunting about 30 years ago when I left Texas. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mac and Cheese

Kraft made this a weekly special when I first left home a very long time ago. Stuff went for 12 boxes for a dollar. :noway: Now almost $2 a box. :nonod: Pricy enough it's now cheaper to make scratch AND even if it isn't...once done, you hooked. I'm just getting started on this cult classic and my mouth is screaming more. I have no idea where this will go but the starting point was pretty darn good. If you have a favorite that just works...share, please...before I go broke or die. 😬

Two large servings: 

I cup small macaroni

Salt and pepper to taste 

1/3 cup half and half

1 TBS of salted butter

1 once of fresh graded Gouda

1 once of fresh graded Sharp Cheddar

1 once of Cream Cheese

3 ounces of hickory smoked ham 1/4 dice. 

Don't get lazy and use pre-shredded cheese or cut up sliced. The additives give it a funny aftertaste. 

14 minutes on the macaroni worked well. Strained but not rinsed. 

Over low heat, add butter to coat. 

Add a little salt. 

Half and half to get some moisture, about half you reserve

Cream cheese next

Melt in the other two cheeses and remainder of half and half. (Adjust amount to your liking for smooth and creamy) 

Fold in ham.

Finish salt to taste and add pepper when served. 

This is really good but not the end all be all. The smoked ham suggests that a smoked gouda, instead of young sweet and leave the ham out, might be a good addition as would be an aged cheddar. Might experiment with some other cheeses. Feedback welcome. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

Well, @It's Tim, do you have a favorite? Why do you like it? 

I go to the internet to find things I don't know and don't want to waste the time and money to learn by trial and error. Like time and temperature or which cheeses melt creamy and which ones melt stringy and which ones not to fondu. What happens to proteins when you add an acid like lemon to egg yolk to make mayo?

I don't often go there for a complete recipe just replicate another's work. Not that I object to that out of hand but I'm trying to learn a skill I was once good at and through lack of use forgot most everything my mother taught me except how to put a fork full in my mouth.

I'm a culinary explorer. But I'm a simple explorer. 

• Like 2