What's Wrong With Wind And Solar

diyer2

I think Solar - if you have two or three acres is a good deal for electricity to power a house, when augmented with natural gas or propane when you need heavy lifting. Production cost of electricity is a penny a kilowatt for coal and nukes.. retail is 12xs that.. due to taxes, pensions, stockholders, salaries of execs and financing. Solar - at the home user level causes a reduction in taxes.. My dad has been off grid for five years.. it is not that hard. propane hot water, oven stove and dryer. A/C is summer - so you are good with 14 hr days.. Winter is the tricky season... The pic shows 90% of the install... 24 volt. Inverter is off to the right of the pic, but they are pretty solid anymore... And i am no environmentalist.. i have a half a dozen four wheel drives... i am just cheap. Those batteries are 75 bucks each... and this setup will go for 5 or 6 years.. So you have a $33 month fixed electric bill... and that is capable of doing 2000 KWH a month in the summer... way cheaper than paying 12 cents a KWH...

Solar.jpg

Edited by PPK
  • Like 1

We need so much power because??????????????????????? We have more "I wants" than ability to feed them cleanly. We gave up on 55 mph because we 'wanted' something but didn't really need it. We don't NEED 5K square foot homes or trucks than carry no more people than a station wagon that given the same technology would get 20% better fuel efficiency. 

We are a greedy lot. Me, me, me. I don't want to this or that until we've used up and destroyed things to the point it can not be recovered. 

Whatever. 

• Like 1

Yea, the California clean environment experiment is going so well. Maybe when the technology is there we’re not there yet. Natural gas is clean,cheap and plentiful. Our emissions keep getting better. We’re not the problem. India, China, Russia etc. are. Why do people live life big, easy because they can. It’s amusing we people want to control others. It’ll change when it needs too. People may cause pollution, not climate change. Ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got close to 15KW of solar panels in my backyard. I put them in years ago when the market was way down. I figured if the govt. as going to give me a tax break and my local govt was going to give me rebate to install and purchase it why not.

I’m not some green crazed imbecile but rather a guy who looked at solar as an investment. It’s paid for itself as of 18 months back so now it pays me monthly by reducing my power bill. It covers power entirely Feb thru April. I burn through my accumulated credit by June or so. It’s present paying me about 8% on my initial investment. Not sure about you but that’s a good return and guaranteed as long as the sun shines.

Lately the rebates and tax incentives are not as good. The flip side is panels are way lower cost. Run the numbers and if you intend to stay in your house longer than the payback period it may make sense for you.

I’ve got close to 15KW of solar panels in my backyard. I put them in years ago when the market was way down. I figured if the govt. as going to give me a tax break and my local govt was going to give me rebate to install and purchase it why not.

I’m not some green crazed imbecile but rather a guy who looked at solar as an investment. It’s paid for itself as of 18 months back so now it pays me monthly by reducing my power bill. It covers power entirely Feb thru April. I burn through my accumulated credit by June or so. It’s present paying me about 8% on my initial investment. Not sure about you but that’s a good return and guaranteed as long as the sun shines.

Lately the rebates and tax incentives are not as good. The flip side is panels are way lower cost. Run the numbers and if you intend to stay in your house longer than the payback period it may make sense for you.

I wonder how much it’s going to cost to disassemble those babies to replace your roof. Then reinstall those things. That’s where I see them mostly.

I wonder how much it’s going to cost to disassemble those babies to replace your roof. Then reinstall those things. That’s where I see them mostly.

It’s a ground mount in the backyard. Yeah putting on a roof seemed stupid.
  • Like 1

We had a remote off grid small home for 20 years. Closest power was 10 miles away. Sold it last year. I know about solar. Installed the solar system myself. To code by the way. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, jnissen said:

A reasonable well thought out approach I'd say.