Heavy tow on gas motor

Got the new trailer.  At 14k lbs its time to upgrade truck.  Brought the camper home.  Flat drive she did ok, e85 dic read 7mpg at 60mph.  But once i hit the mountains mpg dropped as expected and she struggled.  From a dead stop going up incline didn't think she was gonna make it, on level ground she did it ok.  On 200 miles trip avg mpg was 5.5 on dic.  Not sure if 4:33 or 4:56 would help.  Gonna start shopping for a diesel.  Other than that i was really impressed how she handled it.  Airbags helped no squat.  Truck is a 15 hc with a tune, cai airbags with andersen ultimate hitch.

20201107_202628.jpg

Nice 5er. Ours is 9400# dry and 11,500# GVWR, so perfect match for the 6.0L IMO. Do you think CAI was worth investment?

We too have the Andersen. Love it. I have been eyeballing the Reese Goosebox, but for now will stick with Andersen.

That Sierra is a big girl. You are wise to shop for a diesel, and should go 3500 if you weren't planning on it already.

What tuner? Or tune do you have. Also wonder what you keep the RPM at during the hills. Needs to be 4000rpm + to do anything with that weight. LOL.  Wondering how much better the truck is with a tune. I dont see much gain from CAI on these style truck. Thanks. 

I'm a duramax fan, but is the tune for E85?
If not, give it a try on E0 or E10.  More btu per gallon that E85.

No e0 here, tune is blackbear they say run 93. Their ecm tune is crap. Trans tune is decent. Throwing a po741 n p0700, happened twice

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

What tuner? Or tune do you have. Also wonder what you keep the RPM at during the hills. Needs to be 4000rpm + to do anything with that weight. LOL.  Wondering how much better the truck is with a tune. I dont see much gain from CAI on these style truck. Thanks. 
The ecm tune is garbage, i let her spin in the climbs. Flat tow rpms were 2200 at 60. The cai def made it more peppy

2 hours ago, cmysstailights said:

No e0 here, tune is blackbear they say run 93. Their ecm tune is crap. Trans tune is decent. Throwing a po741 n p0700, happened twice

Are you saying the only way you can get 93 octane is to buy E85? 

I would have thought many/most brands would have 93 octane that was E10. 

Here. some brands have 93 octane that is E0, even though their regular is E10.

Edited by redwngr

Are you saying the only way you can get 93 octane is to buy E85? 
I would have thought many/most brands would have 93 octane that was E10. 

Here. some brands have 93 octane that is E0, even though their regular is E10.

They have 93, its 220 a gallon. Cost effective e85 is cheaper with a higher octane. Waiting on a price for a re gear. He said that would def help the truck.