Heavy tow on gas motor

On 11/9/2020 at 7:26 AM, cmysstailights said:

Got the new trailer.  At 14k lbs its time to upgrade truck.  Brought the camper home.  Flat drive she did ok, e85 dic read 7mpg at 60mph.  But once i hit the mountains mpg dropped as expected and she struggled.  From a dead stop going up incline didn't think she was gonna make it, on level ground she did it ok.  On 200 miles trip avg mpg was 5.5 on dic.  Not sure if 4:33 or 4:56 would help.  Gonna start shopping for a diesel.  Other than that i was really impressed how she handled it.  Airbags helped no squat.  Truck is a 15 hc with a tune, cai airbags with andersen ultimate hitch.

20201107_202628.jpg

That's one of the funny things with E85.  I've towed 4-5K pounds running at about 72% alcohol content and she wouldn't go into 5th gear between 60 and 70 mph.  Back on gas or under 20% ethanol and she pulls fine and the gas mileage of course about doubles.  Mine was also tuned by BlackBear.

5 hours ago, cmysstailights said:

They have 93, its 220 a gallon. Cost effective e85 is cheaper with a higher octane. Waiting on a price for a re gear. He said that would def help the truck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I was just trying to make sure you knew that E85 has less energy (BTU) per gallon -- so a gallon of e85 does less work than a gallon of fuel with less alcohol.

Octane reduces knock, but higher octane does not have more usable energy per gallon.  

That weight I’d be in a dually fifth wheel. I’d want two extra tires with the weight. I’d be more concerned with that than gas or diesel. Depending on camper use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/10/2020 at 7:59 PM, cmysstailights said:

Just got the price for the re gear to 4:56. 1800 for the rear and 1600 for the front

That's ridiculous, Have seen those prices for both ends, not each end!  Would be more inclined to run 3.73s or 4.10s with taller than stock tires.  If you need more gear, drop to a lower gear in the transmission.

That's ridiculous, Have seen those prices for both ends, not each end!  Would be more inclined to run 3.73s or 4.10s with taller than stock tires.  If you need more gear, drop to a lower gear in the transmission.
She does drop the gear. I have a 5% grade for 5 miles and another 4% grade 2 miles on the last leg of the trip to my seasonal spot. Not sure if she will do it, read posts were guys tow this much with the gasser, dont know how lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I tow a 12-15k lb. enclosed cargo hauler daily for 10+ years now. You need the torque of a diesel to handle that kinda weight if towing more than a couple times/yr. Last 6 years for me, it's been a DRW/Dmax and I wont go back to a SRW for stability purposes. You know for when the ****** inevitably hits the fan (massive side wind gusts, deer on the road, etc.). Buddy has same dmax/DRW setup for his monster toy hauler. Me, I just make money with mine, so no toys to drag around. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2