New wheels and TPMS sensors

Question: 

Do new TMPS sensors need to be programmed to the truck individually by the dealer or can one of those TMPS tools "wake them up" and get the truck to recognize them? A tool similar to the Amazon one that has been posted several times

I have heard both; they need to be programmed and the tool will work.  Confusing

I am getting new wheels/tires, and GM TPMS sensors (same part number for my truck).

I would like to keep the stock wheels intact and not have to break down the tires to remove the sensors

thanks

8 hours ago, kylant said:

Question: 

Do new TMPS sensors need to be programmed to the truck individually by the dealer or can one of those TMPS tools "wake them up" and get the truck to recognize them? A tool similar to the Amazon one that has been posted several times

I have heard both; they need to be programmed and the tool will work.  Confusing

I am getting new wheels/tires, and GM TPMS sensors (same part number for my truck).

I would like to keep the stock wheels intact and not have to break down the tires to remove the sensors

thanks

Never used the tool before, i've always just had Discount Tire program mine. I'd make sure to get a decent set if you don't already have them. I had a problem when I bought "OEM TPMS" sensors off eBay for like a third of the price.  The frequency matched my OEM ones but they never would learn. I was told from the guys at Discount Tire that more times than not, those eBay sensors don't work. 

17 hours ago, gSwift said:

Never used the tool before, i've always just had Discount Tire program mine. I'd make sure to get a decent set if you don't already have them. I had a problem when I bought "OEM TPMS" sensors off eBay for like a third of the price.  The frequency matched my OEM ones but they never would learn. I was told from the guys at Discount Tire that more times than not, those eBay sensors don't work. 

i would get a set of OEM probably from a site like gmpartsdirect or similar. they are about 1/2 price compared to the dealer

14 hours ago, bowtie2007 said:

I've used the tool and it works.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

which tool exactly?

thanks

• Like 1

VXDAS Auto Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor TPMS Relearn Reset Activation Tool OEC-T5 for GM Series Vehicle

You can search this on Amazon. I've used it to program trailer tpms sensors when i got them installed. I've also used it to reprogram my truck sensors after two tire rotations.

On 12/30/2020 at 8:25 AM, kylant said:

Question: 

thanks

The tire realearn tool is what will program and relearn sensors to the vehicles on GMs. 

Just about any of the tools out there will work.  GM has the EL-50448 which is a re-branded Orange TEC-05 I think?

Edited by newdude

1 hour ago, bowtie2007 said:

VXDAS Auto Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor TPMS Relearn Reset Activation Tool OEC-T5 for GM Series Vehicle

You can search this on Amazon. I've used it to program trailer tpms sensors when i got them installed. I've also used it to reprogram my truck sensors after two tire rotations.

Thanks. I know that tool will relearn the TPMS for position changes.

What I want to know is if I buy completely new sensors, will the truck recognize them, or does the dealer need to actually program them to the truck?

14 minutes ago, newdude said:

The tire realearn tool is what will program and relearn sensors to the vehicles on GMs. 

Fortunately these trucks aren't on the new GM VIP electrical platform yet (formally known Global B) as the current relearn tools won't work (new Tahoe/Yukon, Corvette, some Cadillacs).  GM has a new method for TPMS relearns on those.

ok cool, so the amazon tool should program the new sensors to the truck?