'19 vs '21 comparison. 8spd vs 10spd

Finally picked up my new truck last night. 21 Elevation Double Cab 5.3 10 Speed.

I traded my 19 Elevation DC 5.3 8 Speed for it. It had 23k on it. I hauled a 5700lb boat/trailer with it. It never let me down. I loved that truck. 

First impressions on the comparison?

My old truck was Satin Steel, I think I like that color a little better on the Elevation. But I like the blue more and more.

The 10 speed is WAY smoother than my old 8, even after the TSB was done (which did help it a lot).

The fit and finish is better on the 21.

The bose stereo in the 21 is absolutely worth the money. I thought the old truck sounded good but theres no comparison. 

The 21 rides stiffer than the 19. Not in a good way. 

The 21 has more info on the dash, useful stuff that I like. 

Other than crossing my fingers about the sliding rear window, Im very happy with it so far. (50 miles on the clock)

I really did love my old truck, I wouldnt have traded it for anything other than a 10 Speed truck. The 21 has more options too. Trailer Brakes, Sirius, stuff I wish my 19 had.

Ill do another comparison after a few thousand miles. 

IMG_1708.jpeg

• Like 1

I have a 21 Satin Steel Crew cab Elevation w/X31. Love the truck, I agree with pretty much everything you wrote above. Question for you on the 10 spd....mine is pretty smooth as well. The only thing I've noticed is the 1-2 shift can sometimes be just a tad unsmooth. Like it holds the gear for just a few 100 more rpm's and sort of dogs once shifted. Maybe just a gear ratio thing on those two gears? You guys ever notice that? I have 800 miles on the clock. Highway driving is amazing with this trans.   

1 hour ago, AdamAT4 said:

10 speed is awesome emoji108.png can't believe Ram don't have one yet.

I'll probably have my AT4 for many years to come

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Money and money . I'm sure if it was cost effective they would have a 10 speed already .

At least they are not playing with 3 different transmissions like GM is . 

27 minutes ago, f8l vnm said:

At least they are not playing with 3 different transmissions like GM is . 

Yeah this is silly. Every single 2021 Tahoe/Yukon sold has the 10spd, no matter what trim or engine. I don't know why GM doesn't do this with the trucks. In fact, they took away the 10spd from some Sierra trims for 2021 and went back to the 8spd. Very odd. I'm sure there's a bean counter explanation but it seems like it would be cheaper to put the same trans in everything. 

Anyways, congrats @TeamSaris! That's a pretty truck. I went back and forth between the Silverado RST and Sierra Elevation for a little while. You're right - the Bose system is really nice. I love mine. 

Edited by BluegrassMotorsport

Would be smart on GMs behalf to offer 10 speed on all trims/ engines and maybe just have a few low trim level 8 speed to compete with the ram classic which has been a hot seller because of pricing. If I didn't mind a jump seat and cloth interior I would of got one.. could of got 2 for the price of my AT4.

Ford i belive only has the 10 speed now or at least XLT and up does.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, kmeleon said:

I have a 21 Satin Steel Crew cab Elevation w/X31. Love the truck, I agree with pretty much everything you wrote above. Question for you on the 10 spd....mine is pretty smooth as well. The only thing I've noticed is the 1-2 shift can sometimes be just a tad unsmooth. Like it holds the gear for just a few 100 more rpm's and sort of dogs once shifted. Maybe just a gear ratio thing on those two gears? You guys ever notice that? I have 800 miles on the clock. Highway driving is amazing with this trans.   

My 8 speed had a bad pitch between 1st and 2nd. Didn’t bother me at first. But it wore on me. It got worse too. I had a TSB done about it which helped a lot but wasn’t a real fix. So far the 10 has been butter. 

I had an 8spd in a canyon I owned. That 8 spd was awful. Hard shifts, hunting for gears and also had the reverse slipping/lag.

Have the 10 spd in my sierra. Super smooth and is really a great combo with the 5.3. I'm very happy with the 10spd.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

All the SLTs and Elevations in my area had the 8 speed, but that was a non starter for me.  Had to have a 10 speed after dealing with the 8 speed issues on my previous vehicles.  Wonder if they are simply trying to use up production inventory, but they're only offering a $200 "discount" on those that have the 8 speed  No brainer.  Got an AT4 with the 3.0 paired with the 10 speed and it's definitely the way to go.

Edited by OliverDennis52
  • Like 1

The only thing I've noticed is the 1-2 shift can sometimes be just a tad unsmooth. Like it holds the gear for just a few 100 more rpm's and sort of dogs once shifted. Maybe just a gear ratio thing on those two gears? You guys ever notice that? I have 800 miles on the clock. Highway driving is amazing with this trans.   

Mine does the same thing. All other gears are super smooth! It's not that bad but you feel it sometimes.

Nice truck OP, Enjoy ;)

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, BluegrassMotorsport said:

Yeah this is silly. Every single 2021 Tahoe/Yukon sold has the 10spd, no matter what trim or engine. I don't know why GM doesn't do this with the trucks. In fact, they took away the 10spd from some Sierra trims for 2021 and went back to the 8spd. Very odd. I'm sure there's a bean counter explanation but it seems like it would be cheaper to put the same trans in everything. 

Anyways, congrats @TeamSaris! That's a pretty truck. I went back and forth between the Silverado RST and Sierra Elevation for a little while. You're right - the Bose system is really nice. I love mine. 

I’m wondering if they are getting rid of the 8 spds in the truck, while keeping supplies up in the 10 spd for the Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, and XL Yukon. Those are GMs cash cows! They make a ton of money on those overpriced beasts!!

The refresh next year needs to have hp/tq upgrades and 10 spd across the board, no matter what engine or trim level one chooses. No excuses GM. 

27 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

I’m wondering if they are getting rid of the 8 spds in the truck, while keeping supplies up in the 10 spd for the Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, and XL Yukon. Those are GMs cash cows! They make a ton of money on those overpriced beasts!!

The refresh next year needs to have hp/tq upgrades and 10 spd across the board, no matter what engine or trim level one chooses. No excuses GM. 

Yeah I'd say you're right here. A GM rep told me at one time the Escalade Platinum was selling at 100k with about 32k of parts in it haha. Crazy profit margins and they own that space. Gotta keep the those buyers happy. But the truck market isn't far behind. Although, it amazes me how many people aren't aware of the 8spd shortcomings even after all these years. A buddy of mine bought a '20 RST a few months before me. His is the 5.3/8spd. I tried to talk him into the 6.2 or a higher trim level to get the 10spd and he looked at me like I had three eyes in my head. They still sell tons of them. 

10 hours ago, BluegrassMotorsport said:

Yeah I'd say you're right here. A GM rep told me at one time the Escalade Platinum was selling at 100k with about 32k of parts in it haha. Crazy profit margins and they own that space. Gotta keep the those buyers happy. But the truck market isn't far behind. Although, it amazes me how many people aren't aware of the 8spd shortcomings even after all these years. A buddy of mine bought a '20 RST a few months before me. His is the 5.3/8spd. I tried to talk him into the 6.2 or a higher trim level to get the 10spd and he looked at me like I had three eyes in my head. They still sell tons of them. 

Love your truck, Bluegrass! Really cool double cab. Especially with the 6.2.

You're right though. Your average customer has no clue what trans is in it. Good for GM...I guess