OFFstar

Its taking a while for the community of owners to figure some of this stuff out with the newer trucks. I hadn't come across this one piece of information before

"There is a maroon plug up around the gas pedal area. This is the antenna coax for the gps and cellular that connects to Onstar. Takes about 30 seconds to unhook."

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t82682_ds1065334

There is indeed a coax looking connector, maroon in color, and a brown one next to it plugged into a box right near the throttle pedal. the box has the name LG on it, and has an FCC ID number. (I need to take a picture and try to look it up)

Does anyone have any information on whether this is onstar's connection to the cellular data network?

36 minutes ago, kodiakdenali said:

Its taking a while for the community of owners to figure some of this stuff out with the newer trucks. I hadn't come across this one piece of information before

Been known for years...

vehicle data log is routinely downloaded after a crash to determine who is at fault.

19 minutes ago, It's Tim said:

Been known for years...

vehicle data log is routinely downloaded after a crash to determine who is at fault.

I was referring to figuring out how to disconnect Onstar. Seems pretty well known up to the K2s, this is the first time I came across this piece of information for a T1.

Edited by kodiakdenali

You eat what you like and I'll eat what I like and we'll both go home full and happy.

If it doesn't bother you leave yours connected. It bothers me, so it's gone.

cell phone, email, and internet (which are all locked down as securely as reasonably possible) are all things I see benefits from in exchange for the privacy considerations I don't care so much for. They are all things I can opt out of any any point if I no longer see those benefits. Onstar offers me nothing that I have any interest in, so I opt out.

cheers.

You can always just opt out

YOUR CHOICES
You have certain choices regarding how we use and share your information, such as for marketing and related purposes. Please see “How To Contact Us” below to make choices about telephone, email, text message and other communications. You can also opt-out from promotional email and text message communications at any time by following the unsubscribe instructions in the email or text message itself. 
If you exercise choice regarding certain marketing communications, your information may still be used for the other purposes described in this Privacy Statement (for example, vehicle support and service), including marketing communications where you have not exercised choice, or communications we are required or permitted by law to send to you (for example, certain types of transactional or account-related messages).
In addition, some collection and sharing practices are tied to the products and services we offer. To stop the collection or sharing of some information, you may have to decline those products and services or be willing to accept limited functionality.

https://www.onstar.com/ca/en/privacy_statement/

The OnStar Privacy statement is something that should be read by everybody. They clearly point out that a simple government inquiry is needed for them to hand your data over, not a subpoena or court order. And, they do state it would pertain to the safety of others. Therefore, if you have an accident, the other driver says it's your fault and you say it's theirs, the police could simply ask OnStar for info. There is a legitimate concern about privacy, imo.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk