In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Audioi

Cold weather diesel remote start

Thinking of a new Silverado / Sierra and interested in the diesel. Anyone have feedback about warming it in the morning? I have had diesels with no augmented heater that took forever to warm the cabin in the morning, even using remote start. What are you finding?

14 minutes ago, Audioi said:

Thinking of a new Silverado / Sierra and interested in the diesel. Anyone have feedback about warming it in the morning? I have had diesels with no augmented heater that took forever to warm the cabin in the morning, even using remote start. What are you finding?

No issues with the 3.0L Duramax.  Of course, down here it doesn't get much below freezing.  A few nights were around 28F and it had no issues starting up or getting the cabin warm.  In fact, the auto-stop feature turned the engine off at the first traffic light less than a 1/2 mile away from the house after a cold start and no "warm up".  Just started it up and pulled on out.  Was not expecting that when it was a few degrees below freezing.

I've heard they warm up quicker than the HD diesels, it's a small engine with much less metal to heat up.

Just use a diesel anti gel additive and you shouldn't have issues. If you do just get a better battery.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, btj_z71 said:

No issues with the 3.0L Duramax.  Of course, down here it doesn't get much below freezing.  A few nights were around 28F and it had no issues starting up or getting the cabin warm.  In fact, the auto-stop feature turned the engine off at the first traffic light less than a 1/2 mile away from the house after a cold start and no "warm up".  Just started it up and pulled on out.  Was not expecting that when it was a few degrees below freezing.

I’m interested in a 3.0 CC LT Z71.  Fact finding like OP. You mentioned down here, I’m in South AL.  Temps rarely fall below 30.  Interested in your MPG in the same climate.   

• Like 1

The diesel won't seem any different from a small gas motor until you get -20 or less. Temps just below freezing is nothing to have even a slight concern of. I've ran my 6.7 cummins is -40, it started but took a long to to get warmish

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

In Southern Indiana so far this winter we have seen some single digit mornings. My 3.0 hasn't had any issues starting without the block heater plugged in. I remote start it every morning and let it run for about 8-9 minutes before I push the start button on the dash. By that time, it has already moved slightly above the 160* mark in the dash. I take it easy until the temp gets up to the 210* mark. It generally takes about 4-5 minutes of driving to get to that point. Keep in mind that these trucks have the active shutters in the front and will stay closed until it gets to temperature. These act like the old school grill covers on diesel trucks. If the temps get down to 0*F or lower, you do have the block heater you can plug in. 

Even with the truck warming up in the morning, I still get between 25-29 mpg on every tank.

1 hour ago, mjonesjr84 said:

Keep in mind that these trucks have the active shutters in the front and will stay closed until it gets to temperature. These act like the old school grill covers on diesel trucks.

Boy, aren't those grill shutters nice!

I was worried that I'd have to drill into the Denali grill to install those male ends that hold a winter cover on.

I jumped for joy when I saw them and the heated filter. I remember freezing my fingers in winter storms, cramming cardboard or seed sacks between the grills and radiators and then the nights changing fuel filters on the side of the road.

Now just push buttons and drive.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 2019_Summit said:

I’m interested in a 3.0 CC LT Z71.  Fact finding like OP. You mentioned down here, I’m in South AL.  Temps rarely fall below 30.  Interested in your MPG in the same climate.   

I'm in central AL, (war eagle ? )

My best MPG over 400 miles is 21.5, best MPG over 25 miles is 31.5.

For context, my truck is the 2020 LTZ Z71 crew cab short bed, custom ordered and fully loaded so, an LT with less equipment may fare better MPG as it would weigh slightly less.

The 3.0L Duramax paired with the 10-speed is really a perfect match.  Really well-done powertrain.

20210124_140554.jpg

20210124_140530.jpg

Edited by btj_z71
Added context
  • Like 1

For those of you that report that the cabin temp comes up while idling, how long are you idling for? I tend to not let mine idle much more than 5-6 mins. I know the DPF doesn't function as well when just idling so I try to avoid it for extend periods of time. Once I hop in a get going, the cabin warms up OK. I find the heated seats and steering wheel really help take the edge off while waiting for the cabin to warm.

I have the truck set to do the high idle warm up, is there anything else to it? Do you guys just crank up the cabin temp before you shut it off the previous day? Curious if I'm missing anything.

59 minutes ago, eckseleven said:

For those of you that report that the cabin temp comes up while idling, how long are you idling for? I tend to not let mine idle much more than 5-6 mins. I know the DPF doesn't function as well when just idling so I try to avoid it for extend periods of time. Once I hop in a get going, the cabin warms up OK. I find the heated seats and steering wheel really help take the edge off while waiting for the cabin to warm.

I have the truck set to do the high idle warm up, is there anything else to it? Do you guys just crank up the cabin temp before you shut it off the previous day? Curious if I'm missing anything.

I usually let mine run for anywhere from 5-10 minutes before I get in it and move. It really all depends on how cold it is for me. You have to remember, at least in my truck, the crew cab is huge. It took me a week or so to get used to the time it took the HVAC to get the cab to comfortable temps. I was coming from a '16 Colorado so the cabin size what 2-3 times more.

Idling a diesel will not hurt it like a gas engine. The worst part for the diesel engine is the Auto Stop/Start function. Starting a diesel is what is hard on them.

Edited by mjonesjr84

15 hours ago, btj_z71 said:

I'm in central AL, (war eagle ? )

My best MPG over 400 miles is 21.5, best MPG over 25 miles is 31.5.

For context, my truck is the 2020 LTZ Z71 crew cab short bed, custom ordered and fully loaded so, an LT with less equipment may fare better MPG as it would weigh slightly less.

The 3.0L Duramax paired with the 10-speed is really a perfect match.  Really well-done powertrain.

20210124_140554.jpg

20210124_140530.jpg

Roll Tide!

Have you done a hand calculated MPG?  I’m getting 21.5 50% city and 50% 80mph on I-10 currently in my 2.7 Silverado.  It’s 2wd, looking to upgrade to 4wd.  I was hoping to average 25mpg in the 3.0

For reference, in the 2.7 I can get 450 miles out of about 22 gallons.  

14 minutes ago, 2019_Summit said:

Roll Tide!

Have you done a hand calculated MPG?  I’m getting 21.5 50% city and 50% 80mph on I-10 currently in my 2.7 Silverado.  It’s 2wd, looking to upgrade to 4wd.  I was hoping to average 25mpg in the 3.0

For reference, in the 2.7 I can get 450 miles out of about 22 gallons.  

I have a 2020 RST crew cab short bed 4wd and consistently get no less than 25 mpg out of my 3.0. that's a combined city/highway driving. If I'm all highway, then I'm getting 27-28 mpg. My highway driving is at 75-80 mph. I can get upwards of 600+ miles out of a tank of fuel (24 gallons).

12 hours ago, mjonesjr84 said:

I have a 2020 RST crew cab short bed 4wd and consistently get no less than 25 mpg out of my 3.0. that's a combined city/highway driving. If I'm all highway, then I'm getting 27-28 mpg. My highway driving is at 75-80 mph. I can get upwards of 600+ miles out of a tank of fuel (24 gallons).

That MPG would offset the added cost of diesel. I was getting 17 average in my 2018 Z71 5.3

13 minutes ago, 2019_Summit said:

That MPG would offset the added cost of diesel. I was getting 17 average in my 2018 Z71 5.3

The 3.0 only cost $900 more in the 2021 models. When I was looking for my truck, the one I got with the 3.0 was cheaper than the other RST with the 5.3 in it. The difference was the other one had factory installed running boards and the leather interior. I'm glad I got the 3.0 one.

Yeah some of the dealers were discounting to 3.0L to move them off the lot. It was a wash between motors but rolled the dice on the 3L. So far great combo. About 25MPG combined with a best 25 mile trip of 37.1 MPG.