Trailboss/AT4 Towing Experience

Jrodpic

Anyone here have towing experience with a Trailboss/AT4? If so please share what your setup is and how it pulls. Looking to pick up a travel trailer. One we are eyeing is at a 25’ total length with 4,800lb/500lb dry hitch weight. Have a 5.3 10 speed Trailboss and trailer would be well within the tow specs. Mostly curious on how the 5.3 does on grades with around 6,000lbs behind it and how the rear end does with the lift/suspension setup. Any info would be appreciated.

Your TB with 5.3 has good power and the 10 speed is the best tranny you can  get - for towing a real plus.  The weak points are the rear springs and shocks are soft (so a lot of squat) and the load range C tires, to get you a good ride everyday, will not be as stable as load range D or E.  Up to 9,000 lbs. with a few upgrades you will be fine.  I would not go much over 25' on a travel trailer - the wind sway on the TB/AT4 is a real issue not to be taken lightly.  

Remember if you got 5,500 dry - have 100 gallons of water - 800 lbs. and a 1,500 lbs of stuff you are north of 8,000 lbs pretty quick.     

I have an AT4 with 6.2 with OEM performance pack and I tow 24' Intech enclosed race trailer - empty it is about 4,500 lbs.  Loaded ranges from 7,500 to 9,500 lbs.  Tongue weight is 900 lbs. empty and 1,200 +/- loaded.  I use a load level hitch and sway control as well.      

You will find that wind will move you around a lot, even with load level hitch and sway control.  A few weeks back going over a local pass it was windy and the trailer was moving - had to slow down to 45 mph - have never had to do that before towing.  But all the big trucks were doing the same.  The load range C Goodyear Duratrac's are not ideal as the sidewall is not as stiff so it adds to the sway potential.   I would recommend upgrading to load range D or E tires if going north of 6,000 lbs.

I had about 2.5" of squat from 1,200 lbs of tongue weight.  With load level hitch you can offset about half of that with load level hitch.  That will impact what you can put in your bed as well - need to load from the cab back with as much weight closest to the cab.   I plan to either add sumo springs or a new Deaver rear spring pack to help offset the tongue weight soon.

Power wise the 5.3 with the 10 speed will have good power - up steeper grades when loaded you will work it hard resulting in poor mileage, but it will pull fine.   I live in S. Cal and a lot of our tow routes include big hills along the way somewhere - I get 8 - 9 MPG towing on a 400 mile loop to the desert and back up and down a large grade each way.  I get 4.5 mpg if I push hard on the grade, but can pick my speed and maintain at 9,500 lbs., at 7,500 I can accelerate uphill if I wish.

Biggest flaw in the trucks is the 24 gallon fuel tank - giving you a range of less than 200 miles.  That is the one thing I hate about the truck - 24 gallons is a complete joke, especially if towing. 

I would recommend an Equilizer load level and sway control hitch, sumo springs and load range D or higher tires as the base upgrades to tow a 25' travel trailer that is 5,500 lbs dry as you starting point.  You should be good to go from there. 

Link: https://www.equalizerhitch.com/

Here is my set up 

952556953_2020AT4w-trailers.thumb.jpg.4c5c1f68f8ee1c4fc946873031964191.jpg2112937791_2020AT4-TowMirrors.thumb.jpg.28bd71fee45efbeb03c187ca2d3ee0c2.jpg

Edited by Supercup
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info. It’s a 21 foot trailer but the actual hitch to bumper length is 25 feet. Also it’s 4,800lbs dry but the max weight is 6,400lbs. Probably wouldn’t ever run it at max weight. Closer to 6k or less. Don’t plan on much boondocking.

Supercup explained perfectly.  I am new to the RV world and have the 2020 trail boss 5.3 10 speed.  First time I drove the new trailer (23' Stryker toyhauler 6,400 ibs dry)I was definitely white knuckling it.  Winds were a little higher (18mph) and it takes some getting use to.  Once I relaxed things got a lot easier.  I didnt notice the squat too bad.  A couple things I did notice; the shocks will need to be upgraded at some point because they are soft you spend a lot of time bouncing or rocking up and down.  I also have a weight distribution hitch and anti sway bars.  As supercup said there is still some side to side movements with wind and larger trucks passing you with the flow of traffic.  Some of that movement could be the tires but a large part of it is that big sail you now have on the back of a fairly light truck for what we are doing.  I am still running stock but would like to, at the very least, upgrade the suspension at some point.  Hope this helps.  spacer.png

Edited by C Squared Trail Boss

Your rig is a tad bit heavier and a couple feet taller, but pretty close so that is also great info. Thanks! Curious if your first “white knuckling” drive was empty?? Aren’t the toy haulers fairly light in the back empty? 

Also not sure if it’s the angle of the picture but the back looks pretty level.

Edited by Jrodpic

Yes, the toy hauler was empty at the time.  Not sure how much lighter it is back there but I would think it would be a little lighter.  The hitch weight is 860 ibs though.  I have yet to take it to a scale to get true weights.  It was a pretty windy day so I believe that was the main reason.  I have driven it three more time since (two of those were dry/empty) and all those went smooth but winds were not as bad.

Agree could have been the angle of the lot, which was angling down the direction I was facing but again I didn't notice a lot of squat.  Even when I was on level ground in front of my house squat wasn't too bad.  I have not measured so I am not sure how much but not as noticeable as the videos.  Could have also been in part the weight distribution hitch. 

I posted a pic of my AT4 pulling my loaded toyhauler, loaded about 7800lb on the scales,  Sits and rides nice with a blue ox sway pro setup.

I get a little sway with passing cars but the truck pulls it over the blueridge with no issues.  I don't have a pic on this machine will post later but here is link to my other post.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bowtie76 said:

I posted a pic of my AT4 pulling my loaded toyhauler, loaded about 7800lb on the scales,  Sits and rides nice with a blue ox sway pro setup.

I get a little sway with passing cars but the truck pulls it over the blueridge with no issues.  I don't have a pic on this machine will post later but here is link to my other post.

Thanks! What engine and tranny are you running?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 4:30 PM, bowtie76 said:

Got any pictures of this setup?

• 4 months later...