Aero shutters and diesel winter cover

If they remain closed in very cold weather, is the diesel winter cover even necessary?  I have yet to see them open this winter and have not installed a winter grille cover.  -10 this morning and truck warmed up just fine and had no issues.  

I have noticed that my 21 3500 drw which doesn't have the shutters warms up in half the time my 18 f350 did. I think the chevy is a better winter truck to begin with, I don't think I will be putting the winter front on unless the highs for the day were in the negatives. If I had the shutters I probably wouldn't even do it then.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I thought the shutters were only on the 1500's? 

Did they add them to the HD's?

Trucks used daily, live outside, I don't use block heater, and somewhere around here there are several winter fronts still sealed in the plastic they came in. 

I'm finding that in (+ or -) single digit (F) temps the 6.6 dmax's warmed up quite a bit faster than this 3.0L.

6.6L elevated idle also warms the transmission much more that what I'm seeing on the 3.0L 

My 3500 has shutters.  It also came with a winter cover but as I said, I have yet to see the shutters open this winter.  I don't see the point in a winter cover if the air is already closed off by the shutters unless I'm missing something...

This thread is perfect timing.

I'm getting down to the nitty gritty on choosing which truck to buy, and warm up is one of the things I'm looking in to.

It's between a 21 Cummins and a L5P. I just can't bring myself to trust a Powerstroke as long as it has the CP4, no matter how much they claim it's not a wide spread issue or concern.

From what I've read the Cummins block heater works whenever it is plugged in and goes to about 100 degrees. I know the Duramax block heater doesn't even come on until it's below 0, so warmup from cold is important.

9 hours ago, redwngr said:

I thought the shutters were only on the 1500's? 

Did they add them to the HD's?

Trucks used daily, live outside, I don't use block heater, and somewhere around here there are several winter fronts still sealed in the plastic they came in. 

I'm finding that in (+ or -) single digit (F) temps the 6.6 dmax's warmed up quite a bit faster than this 3.0L.

6.6L elevated idle also warms the transmission much more that what I'm seeing on the 3.0L 

Plow prep SRW trucks and all DRW trucks do not get the active shutters - 

unless something is different on the HD’s, the shutters stay open when temp is below a certain set point. 

13 hours ago, BigBru said:

I have a 2020 2500 AT4, it has shutters. Why do some trucks have them and some don't?

Trucks with VYU plow prep and all dually models don't have shutters.  Single rear wheel non plow prep trucks get them.  All engines.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...