17’ Sierra 6.2 Whipple Supercharged Water/Meth kit worth it?

I have a 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2 with a whipple supercharger. I am looking at the Snow Performance Water Meth kits. This is my daily truck, is it worth putting on there? My only concern is if it fails at some point and may hurt my engine because of the tune being made for water meth. My tuner said that he doesn’t think i need water/Meth for my appilication. I was looking at getting it for more hp gains, the price ($400) and because it cleans the valves. Has anyone with a supercharged 6.2 have water meth installed? 

If you just want some more power then go for it. If it fails and you do not have any fail safe in place you will definitely wish you didn’t have meth, or if pump stays one and floods your motor. I had it on my CTSV and used it until I just made the power without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would just say don't make the tune dependent on the water/meth then. Run more water than meth to still gain the cooling effect but not need the meth as the added fuel. That way if the system fails it won't just lean out and possibly hurt something.

We can already run these direct injected engines far leaner than port injection while still being really safe. Like low to mid 12's even with boost depending on what fuel is used. Needing to run 11.0-11.5 isn't needed for the most part.

I’ve never owned a car with meth injection, but I have owned several with forced induction running pretty substantial amounts of boost and I understand how meth works.

i really like meth for aftermarket forced induction because it’s always heat that kills the motors. Your motor was designed for 420hp and now you’re making a lot more than that. Your egt’s and piston temps will be sky high if your driving spiritedly. An oem motor with that much power would be designed to handle it for extended periods of time when your motor could pop a ring land should you choose to perform a half mile drag race or just repeated applications of boost without ample time to cool down. This is pretty important with our 6.2’s that have tight ring gaps from the factory. Also consider an alternative to meth is aftermarket pistons or just gapping the rings. That’s considerably more expensive though.

i don’t know how reliable or unreliable meth systems are, but I’d assume they have ones with some sort of sensor to know if you’re engine is getting it. With a turbo I’d recommend 2 tunes, a low boost without meth and a high boost with meth, but can’t really do that with a supercharger. You could however still have two tunes. One really safe and one really aggressive with meth. I’d assume that’d be good for like a 40-50hp difference. But it you’re going to do that, you might as well just do a small shot of nitrous since that has a cooling effect as well

On 3/5/2021 at 10:11 PM, CamGTP said:

I would just say don't make the tune dependent on the water/meth then. Run more water than meth to still gain the cooling effect but not need the meth as the added fuel. That way if the system fails it won't just lean out and possibly hurt something.

We can already run these direct injected engines far leaner than port injection while still being really safe. Like low to mid 12's even with boost depending on what fuel is used. Needing to run 11.0-11.5 isn't needed for the most part.

I Ended up putting the meth kit on. I had it dynoed today, and the meth did not really do anything. I put the correct size nozzle in and set it to come on at 2 psi and fully at 9 psi. Does meth not really work with a lower boost application? I was hoping it was going to help out at least a little. Maybe the truck was starting to heat soak.

Hard to say. Without seeing the tune and not knowing what the charge air temps were before the meth kit, it's hard to say how helpful it's being right now.

These new blowers are pretty darn good and if they have an intercooler in the kit, they are even better. With more boost the meth kit will work better at lower intake air temps post supercharger.

2 hours ago, CamGTP said:

Hard to say. Without seeing the tune and not knowing what the charge air temps were before the meth kit, it's hard to say how helpful it's being right now.

These new blowers are pretty darn good and if they have an intercooler in the kit, they are even better. With more boost the meth kit will work better at lower intake air temps post supercharger.

Yeah its a Gen 4 whipple 2.9 water to air intercooler. And I figured it would be more useful with a higher boost application. Thanks

• 3 months later...
On 3/14/2021 at 1:19 AM, Tanner Smith said:

I Ended up putting the meth kit on. I had it dynoed today, and the meth did not really do anything. I put the correct size nozzle in and set it to come on at 2 psi and fully at 9 psi. Does meth not really work with a lower boost application? I was hoping it was going to help out at least a little. Maybe the truck was starting to heat soak.

How much boost you running and is it factory cam? Headers? A lot of shops go consevative on the tunes do to ring gap. Wouldnt be surprised if you had a bunch of timing pulled so the meth didnt help much. It helped on mine a lot

• 1 month later...
On 6/25/2021 at 8:37 PM, Jjblur2003 said:

How much boost you running and is it factory cam? Headers? A lot of shops go consevative on the tunes do to ring gap. Wouldnt be surprised if you had a bunch of timing pulled so the meth didnt help much. It helped on mine a lot

9 psi and yes factory CAM.

On 3/14/2021 at 1:19 AM, Tanner Smith said:

Pretty sure meth won’t add any power by itself. From what I understand all it does is cool the intake charge and prevent detonation.

Kinda like octane in fuel, or e85… it doesn’t add any power unless you adjust the tune to compensate for the fact that it resists detonation.

More resistance to detonation = more aggressive tuning = more power

• Like 1

^^^THIS^^^

You can make power on an na engine (high compression) with meth. All about timing. 50% meth boosts octane rating, 50% water reduces intake temps/reduce's knock and steam cleans the cylinders and cleans the valves.

I wanted meth for low rpm high load situations but couldn't find a kit that operated on maf. I think it was only map or throttle input..  

Edited by M1ck3y