$217 to update MyLink software

Just quoted $217 to update the MyLink forward in my 2016 Sierra SLE
anyone know where I can order a disc and do it myself?

tia

What are you trying to upgrade to?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, pixelmonkey380 said:

Just quoted $217 to update the MyLink forward in my 2016 Sierra SLE

anyone know where I can order a disc and do it myself?

tia

No.  Dealer only.  Nothing you can DIY. 

What are you trying to "update"?  

2016 purchased used. I have android auto, but thinking there are more updates that are needed on the system, since it doesnt have a button available in the setting to "update now".

I was under the impression there was a cd that had the updates and some magic button pressing that allowed the system to access the cd to complete the update.

i had searched other portions of the forum to find people have approached dealers with the request to have they "MyLink" updated and have not been charged.

looking to save some $ and get the system updated.

2016 purchased used. I have android auto, but thinking there are more updates that are needed on the system, since it doesnt have a button available in the setting to "update now".

I was under the impression there was a cd that had the updates and some magic button pressing that allowed the system to access the cd to complete the update.

i had searched other portions of the forum to find people have approached dealers with the request to have they "MyLink" updated and have not been charged.

At that point I'd call every dealer in a reasonable area and ask if they'd do it and for how much... mention that you have heard it's free update and if they say it's free then throw em a bone and get an oil change there or something so they get something out of it too. They'd be more inclined to do a free radio update if they get 50 bucks out of you for something else.

When I had my old jeep I paid a tech 20 bucks to get my new key fob programmed cause the writer didn't want to make a ticket for it. And at the dealer I work for we do small stuff like that for people if they ask and are paying for some kind of service anyway.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, VanguardK2 said:

At that point I'd call every dealer in a reasonable area and ask if they'd do it and for how much... mention that you have heard it's free update and if they say it's free then throw em a bone and get an oil change there or something so they get something out of it too. They'd be more inclined to do a free radio update if they get 50 bucks out of you for something else.

When I had my old jeep I paid a tech 20 bucks to get my new key fob programmed cause the writer didn't want to make a ticket for it. And at the dealer I work for we do small stuff like that for people if they ask and are paying for some kind of service anyway.

did a part of that this morning.

- brake recall fix

- balance and rotate

- request mylink update

after tax, $65 for the balance and rotate, which is about what i was expecting.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pixelmonkey380 said:

If you have the 2.5 HMI Module, you have everything your truck should.

I just bought the Navigation update, and it is actually a USB flash drive, think that is how all updates are done on the K2's.

did a part of that this morning.

- brake recall fix
- balance and rotate
- request mylink update

after tax, $65 for the balance and rotate, which is about what i was expecting.

Ah. Well that's the right way to do it. Now it'd just be calling different dealers and asking if you can get the update and if it's free or paid for. Might get lucky....

If there is an update for android auto or apple CarPlay it happens through your phone. There is no need to update the my link software unless you have issues with infotainment or want to update the maps. Google maps or Waze is way better than the stock navigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, pixelmonkey380 said:

The only time they are done no charge is if its a warranty issue so the radio isn't working right or something is glitched.  

No CDs, no magic buttons.  Over-the-air (OTA) updates didn't start showing up until 2018-2019 radios.  Good to see that you ended up paying a reasonable price though for it.  The older MyLink isn't updated anywhere near as frequently as the new gen 3 radios.  Those have some sort of fix or update OTA every other month or every month.