3.0 Duramax cranks but won’t start

On 8/9/2021 at 5:47 PM, Frankhpns said:

No I did not see a check engine light, it appears GM may have a problem with the high pressure fuel pump in addition to the bent camshaft position reluctors and fuse box problem. I was told by a very good GM diesel mechanic that the pump pressure is 36,000 PSI to the injectors. The CPU requires 8,000 PSI and 4 engine revolutions to confirm sufficient fuel in the rail. The CPU will shut down the ignition after the 4th rotation but the engine will continue to crank until it times out at bout 9 seconds. I assume by that time there is enough fuel in the injector rail to allow for a start for the second time. I just went thru all this with my 3.0 which had been in shop 38 days. Second day I got it back, I got a fail to start/overcrank condition again. 

I meant fuel pump shutoff not ignition.

Bought my 2021 Silverado 1500 Duramax in March and it has done the long crank/no start about 10 times. The worst was yesterday morning for 15 mins multiple attempts. Finally started and took to the dealer today. They said the #20-NA-218 bulletin did not apply and they are inspecting the entire wiring harness. Not that confident about the approach, but whatever. I immediately turn off the auto stop/start as I'm terrified it would happen at a busy intersection.

I probably should have bought the RAM. :(

Can anyone provide the PIP5806B bulletin? PIP5806A was the other posted here. I brought my truck in for re-alignment today (1400km on it) and mentioned it had this start issue once a few days back. They pulled that bulletin and mentions something about a shim on the sensor. All in all, the said they could do the inspection next week but again, like everyone else, I'm reluctant to let them because if the wheel is bent, they're doing the 50hr job. They agreed that I should just drive it and wait it out for now.

Heard a bulletin came out recently. A guy I know has the same issue and truck as I do. Brought it in the shop today and they said there is an actuator that needs to be replaced. They said they will have to remove the valve cover to perform the work. Said the part will come in 2 weeks. I will update after to let everyone know if it works or not.

That one sounds promising. The bent trigger wheel fix sounds hokey. If it happens to hundreds of trucks with less than 1K miles and the fix part is not re-engineered, why wouldn't it just happen again in a couple hundred miles?

14 hours ago, macodi said:

Bought my 2021 Silverado 1500 Duramax in March and it has done the long crank/no start about 10 times. The worst was yesterday morning for 15 mins multiple attempts. Finally started and took to the dealer today. They said the #20-NA-218 bulletin did not apply and they are inspecting the entire wiring harness. Not that confident about the approach, but whatever. I immediately turn off the auto stop/start as I'm terrified it would happen at a busy intersection.

I probably should have bought the RAM. :(

They have a major airbag recall also.

I have a 2021 3.0 Duramax with 4k miles and brought mine in to the dealer to get the front camera serviced. A dealer employee attempted to move my truck to the Tech's bay that was going to work on it and it did a crank no start for the first time. The service manager said he'd never heard of the problem before but suspected it was a module that wasn't fully "awake" when the start button was pressed.

So far the engine wiring harness had to be replaced the first week of ownership (1.5 weeks at the dealer). The front camera isn't working and could not be solved after a full day at the dealer. And now I have to deal with the crank no start.

The truck is great when everything is working but I don't really trust it anymore. It's becoming a hassle to own at this point.

On 6/21/2021 at 7:09 PM, Gruggas said:

Hey everyone. I have an update. Just went to leave work today and just had the issue happen again after trigger wheel fix. 3 strikes your out. Called my dealer and getting a new truck Wednesday. Hope they find a fix that doesn’t involve tearing the entire truck apart to not fix the problem.

I just stumbled on this page "looking" for issues with 3.0 Duramax as I'm driving 5 hours (one way) to pick up my new Silverado 3.0 Diesel next week. So Gruggas.....correct me if I'm wrong. A dealer fixed your problem by removing your cab to get to the "bent" part and replaced it. And with this "update" the issue happened again, even after the replacement?

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2021 at 4:59 PM, Gruggas said:

Yeah mine has been in 3 times. I posted a while back and been updating several times. Lost it on GM and the dealer and now I’m getting a new truck with from lemon law.

What  "new" truck are you getting to replace the 3.0 Duramax? Another 3.0 or a gasser?

2 hours ago, BigNifty said:

I have a 2021 3.0 Duramax with 4k miles and brought mine in to the dealer to get the front camera serviced. A dealer employee attempted to move my truck to the Tech's bay that was going to work on it and it did a crank no start for the first time. The service manager said he'd never heard of the problem before but suspected it was a module that wasn't fully "awake" when the start button was pressed.

So far the engine wiring harness had to be replaced the first week of ownership (1.5 weeks at the dealer). The front camera isn't working and could not be solved after a full day at the dealer. And now I have to deal with the crank no start.

The truck is great when everything is working but I don't really trust it anymore. It's becoming a hassle to own at this point.

Hopefully, you don't have a defective camshaft position reflector. 

Don't want to get off topic for sure, but trouble finding any info for improving RST headlights. Absolutely HORRIBLE for our mountain driving with suicidal deer.  Drove truck for first time in dark and even with high beams the reach is so poor. Dealer adjusted after Bilstein's installed. Any suggestions where to search greatly appreciated.

After three full weeks of successful starts every time, our 3.0 was a no start at first use today. First time the truck failed on a "cold start". Again I tried to recall if I might have held the push start button in too long. Still no rhyme or reason to the no start pattern.