3.0 Duramax cranks but won’t start

27 minutes ago, gemarsh said:

Never have had this problem and have 14,200 miles on it. 2021 GMC Denali. 

I did re-torque the fuse box bolts the first month of ownership. Less than 300 miles.

On 7/20/2021 at 6:07 PM, Barrett10 said:

Truck is currently at 3900 miles.

Truck is in the shop, they had a GM engineer come and look at it today.  He wants to have the cam shaft cover removed for inspection... I told them that the exciter wheel has not proven to fix the issue.  The service advisor said they are not going there yet, but need to remove the cover to inspect.  4-5 hour job.  Monday will be day 24 in the shop, not consecutive but cumulative.  Will update when I get more info.

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2021 at 2:31 PM, gemarsh said:

I did re-torque the fuse box bolts the first month of ownership. Less than 300 miles.

I had one long crank episode.  It happened on the same trip to town that set the CEL for a circuit fault, short or open, to the radiator dampner motor.  I don't know think they are directly related, but I did decide to torque my fuse box per the service bullitin I had seen on this forum.    The screws were loose.  It took several turns to get to 40 in-lbs.   I stepwise took the four screw to the 53 in lb spec.   Since then, no CEL codes or long starts.  An anadotal observation is that my charging volts indicate above 14 Volts and I recall the gauge always reading less than 14 before tightening the fuse box.   GM should tell dealers to chech and torque these bolts as part of any routine service.

On 7/13/2021 at 8:47 AM, Gruggas said:

Sorry for not updating fellas. So, after losing my mind on GM, we came some sort of agreement. I’m not 100% happy and that they fixed the problem, but I ended up keeping the truck because it’s everything I wanted and they gave me a BUNCH of stuff to keep the truck. A new sister to that truck would have taken forever dude to parts shortages. After the 3 time the issue happened, I took it to the dealer the next morning and the did a huge update to the ECU. Since then, no problems… for now. I’ll keep you guys posted if anything else happens.

Well how goes the battle, are you still getting crank no starts?

I’m assuming this issue hasn’t been resolved.  I read this whole thread and nobody seems to have it resolved.  What’s the next step in this process?  I love this truck, but it can’t be unreliable.  

4 minutes ago, Elstro17 said:

I’m assuming this issue hasn’t been resolved.  I read this whole thread and nobody seems to have it resolved.  What’s the next step in this process?  I love this truck, but it can’t be unreliable.  

For whats its worth, I opened a case with GM regarding a dispute at a dealership regarding this issue. They offered me some points to use on accessories. The executive resolution team did let me know GM engineers are aware of the problem. He did confirm their is no fix as of yet and reccommended I don’t have the dealership rip apart the truck but instead wait for a more current update.

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2021 at 11:37 AM, MNJoel said:

Anyone with this issue on higher mileage diesels (greater than 5k)?

Mine had three instances all under 1100miles. Currently at 5500 miles and no instances since 1100

2020 Silverado, 25k and nary a problem🙃

Add one more to the list of long crank/ no starts. 2021 Silverado first happened at 700 miles after sitting all night (remote start) started on second try. Second time it happened at 802 miles after running and sitting for 10 minutes. Also started on second try. I hope GM fixes this issue quick, I’m pretty disappointed after buying a $63k truck that is not reliable. I have more confidence in my lawn mower starting than this really heavy paper weight. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jmac576 said:

Add one more to the list of long crank/ no starts. 2021 Silverado first happened at 700 miles after sitting all night (remote start) started on second try. Second time it happened at 802 miles after running and sitting for 10 minutes. Also started on second try. I hope GM fixes this issue quick, I’m pretty disappointed after buying a $63k truck that is not reliable. I have more confidence in my lawn mower starting than this really heavy paper weight. 

Sorry to hear of your plight. My truck is still in shop  Hopefully it will be out this week after 37 days. Bent camshaft sensor exciter ring and they are also checking fuel pump for a potential secondary problem. 

20210719_122357.jpg

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Frankhpns said:

Sorry to hear of your plight. My truck is still in shop  Hopefully it will be out this week after 37 days. Bent camshaft sensor exciter ring and they are also checking fuel pump for a potential secondary problem. 

20210719_122357.jpg

How many times did you have the long start issue before you began this repair? Also was dealership able to duplicate start?

11 minutes ago, Joe Brooks said:

Man.  Seeing that is disheartening.  I want mine fixed as much as anyone but that’s a big decision to let them tear into the truck that far and not be 100% sure that is the issue.  I hope it fixes for you.  

I don't have a picture of the bent exciter wheel but I looked at it and one of its tabs was bent at least 1/2". When they removed the camshaft cover to borescope the sensor, I asked if I could use the vehicle while parts ordered, they informed me that is not a good idea because further engine damage could happen. They don't tear the engine apart unless they find that the sensor exciter wheel is bent. I would suggest that you have the inspection done to confirm.