3.0 Duramax cranks but won’t start

7 hours ago, ColoradoCub said:

That’s not a very logical response. Customer has problem A, GM says repair B fixes it. Repair B is completed and customer still has problem A. Your logic is that the repair was not done correctly?? And remember he’s not just one individual, he is THE individual that the TSB was created for, pictures on the bulletin are of his engine!!! Geez!! And what about all the trucks that don’t have a bent trigger wheel after being inspected but have the same crank no start, are you implying that a problem plaguing many 2021 trucks identically is being caused by multiple things?

FWIW my opinion is that GM knows they have some trucks with defective timing trigger wheels that could cause serious engine failures.   One symptom of a bent wheel could be the failure of the ECU to see and fire the ignition pulses correctly thus long cranking episodes.   So the TBS to inspect and replace bent wheels makes some sense.  The interesting thing is that upon inspection they find no problem with the wheel they have no next step.    

My guess is that a majority of the trucks having this problem also have straight timing wheels.   Some episodes are likely caused by folks accidently resting their foot on the gas peddle.   Others maybe related to the fuse panel working loose causing some relay in the start logic to not operate exactly when it should and there is no code set for the improper action.   There was a TSB for the loose fuse panel.  If this is a root cause for most of the long starts, GM is looking at a massive recall, ie every Silverado and Sierra since 2019.    They are probably testing fixes to find something relatively inexpensive to fix the problem.   Time will tell since Consumer Report has already labelled these trucks as  electrically  unreliable, GM has to find an answer.

Edited by GJR1212
verb tense wrongg
  • Like 1

I had my truck for 20 days and in that time it happened 2 times. 2021 silverado RST 3.0l diesel. So far the truck has been in the garage for 48 days, ive been driving a 17 silverado the dealer just got traded in. They have been waiting on parts to fix the exciter wheel, last week the parts came but one was damaged when they got it, im thinking they received another bent exciter wheel. I requested a new truck and that was "being worked on" by GM but when they heard the parts where in they threw that out the window and are planning on making my payments for some time, the manager at the dealer told me maybe 6 months payments. If that is the case I wont be entirely disappointed with the service but from what I am seeing this may not even fix the problem, besides the fact I will have no trust left in the truck after being completely tore down to do the job. For now I am very frustrated but being patient because at least I have a truck to drive. Depending on what they do for me when i get the truck back and if the problem is fixed in the end it might not be such a bad thing. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

Things will get interesting when more guys get the exciter wheel replaced and they still have the crank no start. But seeing as a member here was ground zero for this TSB and had all the parts in the back of the engine replaced including the trigger wheel, timing chain, gears and sensors and it didn’t take a week to have the problem occur again I am not in the least convinced this is the fix.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoCub said:

There’s no way I’d be without my new truck for 48 days , it would have been traded in by now. But I do appreciate those of you enduring this ****** show for the rest of us that aren’t willing to!

Id love to trade her in a get rid of her but for me (without losing thousands of dollars) there's really no choice but to stick it out at least until i can break even on a new one. 

31 minutes ago, 3.0duramax said:

Id love to trade her in a get rid of her but for me (without losing thousands of dollars) there's really no choice but to stick it out at least until i can break even on a new one. 

Not sure where you live but here you can get a sales tax credit and pay/refund the difference of the truck you traded in vs the one you purchased but only within the first 45 days I believe. Just thought I'd share.

1 hour ago, MNJoel said:

Anyone with this issue on higher mileage diesels (greater than 5k)?

Mine had three instances all under 1100miles. Currently at 5500 miles and no instances since 1100

Yes there have been owners that it happened to several times early on when newer and then nothing for a while and then it comes back thousands of miles later..

Edited by ColoradoCub

On 7/13/2021 at 8:46 AM, Barrett10 said:

posted this earlier... \

Got my truck back from the dealer; 2nd time for the no starting issue--starter runs for 15-20 seconds, truck does not start.  Dealer checked fuel injector data, fuel pump high and low side PSI while attempting to duplicate.  Checked and re-tightened ground connections @ G130, 131, 132, 133 and 134. Checked fuel PSI regulator for loose pins. Checked fuel injector #1 and cam sensor. OK no problem found.  So, I do not think the service manager was convinced the issue is fixed, time will tell.  But if it goes in for the 3rd time...?  Total days in the shop-19 days; 3 days 1st visit, 16 for the 2nd visit.

Well, it happened again. Starter  ran for 20 seconds truck didn’t start. I guess the grounding issue did not fix it. I’ve been talking with GM and sending them all my information, very detailed information with videos attached of the truck not starting. They are reviewing the case right now, but going in the shop for the third time should help my case for reimbursement. Taking it to the shop tomorrow night and we’ll go from there.

• Like 2

Just now, Barrett10 said:

Well, it happened again. Starter  ran for 20 seconds truck didn’t start. I guess the grounding issue did not fix it. I’ve been talking with GM and sending them all my information, very detailed information with videos attached of the truck not starting. They are reviewing the case right now, but going in the shop for the third time should help my case for reimbursement. Taking it to the shop tomorrow night and we’ll go from there.

Truck is currently at 3900 miles.

38 minutes ago, Barrett10 said:

Truck is currently at 3900 miles.

Think you could upload the videos and share? I haven't got videos of mine yet but would like some to show my GM dealer. I am trying to trade in and get out of the truck still though.

Edited by Jacob D

9 hours ago, Quentin Corbett said:

Just had this issue with my month old truck with 750 miles on it.  Looking through forums it seems several people are having this issue so going to assume GM will have to figure something out soon.

HAHA. You clearly never owned a GM 8 speed transmission, lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jacob D said:

Think you could upload the videos and share? I haven't got videos of mine yet but would like some to show my GM dealer. I am trying to trade in and get out of the truck still though.

I could only upload a short video. The real video is about 20 seconds longI could only upload a short video. The real video is about 20 seconds long

• Like 1