3.0 Duramax cranks but won’t start

I’d think twice before I allowed that type of repair to be done. There’s a ton of owners with tens of thousands of miles that have had many crank no starts with nothing wrong with the engines. And since this repair doesn’t fix the crank no start anyway, why do it? That truck will not be right when it’s put back together. Just asking for problems. 

4 hours ago, Joe Brooks said:

Does anyone have the actual service bulletin number I could give my dealer?  I saw it earlier in this thread but could make out the number. Thanks. 

I should have them tomorrow.

On 6/11/2021 at 3:38 PM, bdallas said:

Joining the club.

This happened to me only once, luckily. On the second day that I had the truck... so less than a hundred miles.

I'm just under 2K miles now and it hasn't happened again. I'm also in the 3.0 Duramax.

I had wrote it off as a one time glitch until I found this thread.

Now I'll be on edge waiting to see if it happens again.

Just happened again... second time at just under 3,500 miles.

6 minutes ago, MyFordsNeverBreak said:

Same TSB from earlier in this thread, which did not resolve the issue even after being torn apart and replaced.

I don't know what to say, there appears to be some secondary issues with the fuel pump GMC has instructed mechanics to look at besides the reluctor problem. 

That is why I’m hesitant to take it in like everyone else is also.  I am also not convinced the exciter wheel is the issue.  I guess I will just because if the motor were to grenade due to the bent part and I refused the tear down where would I be.  This is a bit frustrating.  Makes me a bit regretful on buying.  Love everything about the truck but feeling a bit stuck like everyone else. 

6 minutes ago, Joe Brooks said:

That is why I’m hesitant to take it in like everyone else is also.  I am also not convinced the exciter wheel is the issue.  I guess I will just because if the motor were to grenade due to the bent part and I refused the tear down where would I be.  This is a bit frustrating.  Makes me a bit regretful on buying.  Love everything about the truck but feeling a bit stuck like everyone else. 

I would suggest you take it dealer to run a diagnosis on it. There appears to be several problems that can cause the fail to start or over crank problem. I happen to be unlucky and hit the jackpot "bent reluctant wheel,".

11 minutes ago, Joe Brooks said:

It’s not mandatory that you allow them to rip your truck apart. And many people have had this problem for tens of thousands of miles with zero effect in the engine. If it were bad…..it would be bad. Meaning the exciter wheel isn’t contacting anything so it’s not going to grenade anything. Personally I’d wait until they come up with an actual fix for the problem and thank all the owners that are being guinea pigs for this problem. 

Edited by ColoradoCub

14 minutes ago, ColoradoCub said:

It’s not mandatory that you allow them to rip your truck apart. And many people have had this problem for tens of thousands of miles with zero effect in the engine. If it were bad…..it would be bad. Meaning the exciter wheel isn’t contacting anything so it’s not going to grenade anything. Personally, I’d wait until they come up with an actual fix for the problem and thank all the owners that are being guinea pigs for this problem

That is not what GM is saying. The reluctor can potentially touch the timing chain and also cause secondary timing issues. Personally, I would not drive with this problem. 

I think the real question is has GM replaced this part on any vehicle and it fixed the crank no start issue.  Only one I know of replaced and returned is on this forum and it did not fix it. And how many have been checked and were not bent but have the starting issue. 

Edited by Joe Brooks

40 minutes ago, Joe Brooks said:

I think the real question is has GM replaced this part on any vehicle and it fixed the crank no start issue.  Only one I know of replaced and returned is on this forum and it did not fix it. And how many have been checked and were not bent but have the starting issue. 

There are several TSB addressing the no start/over crank issue. Not all related to the position reluctor.

15 minutes ago, Frankhpns said:

There are several TSB addressing the no start/over crank issue. Not all related to the position reluctor.

There are only 2 TSB’s currently available for the 3.0 Duramax for extended cranking and not starting and neither has proven to fix the problem. One is an ECU update and the other involves the cam position sensor and reluctor wheel on the rear of the engine.

Edited by ColoradoCub