3.0 Duramax cranks but won’t start

17 hours ago, dkdaws said:

Following, 3 week old truck that this has happened 2 times already

Not too bad.

In my case, 3 week old as well and less than 1000 mi, has happened 9 times up to now.

About every 9-10 startup.

Truck is going in the shop tomorrow, will post an update with the outcome

On 6/8/2021 at 12:00 PM, Thekingarthur said:

Not too bad.

In my case, 3 week old as well and less than 1000 mi, has happened 9 times up to now.

About every 9-10 startup.

Truck is going in the shop tomorrow, will post an update with the outcome

Just got back from the dealership. Looks like I have the problem outlined in the bulletin. The dealership needs a gasket after opening part of the engine to confirm that it is the case and with my luck, part is not available in Canada. Gasket should be in late next week. Then back to dealership to confirm the issue and another appointment to do the actual fix.

Dealership confirmed that the cab must be removed from the chassis in order to repair.

Edited by Thekingarthur

I heard back this afternoon from the dealership after they scoped my truck. It does not have the bent trigger wheel. I have had the no start crank happen twice over the last 1800 miles/three weeks since delivery.  Some good news to a bad situation. Hopefully others will receive the same news also.

Edited by 1970GTO
Typo

Joining the club.  2021 that has done it twice in 600 miles.  Seems to be when the truck has been driven and left for 15 minutes or so both times.  1970GTO, did they give you any indications as to other thoughts on why this is happening?  Good news would be the truck does not have to be torn down, bad news is no reason why.

I have talked to my dealer and I am waiting on a loaner to take it in for diagnosis.

I am picking it up tomorrow and hopefully they have more information. What little they told me was in a voicemail. If I get any additional information I will relay it. My first no start was after sitting 15 minutes but the second time was a first start of the morning. 

Have had same issues.  Truck has 1700 miles; issue started 3rd day I had it.  Starter runs for 15 + seconds and truck does not start--can not stop the starter once it is doing this.  Did it 3 more times on the 5th day.  Took it to the shop and they did a software update.  Seemed good for 2 weeks and did it again.  Have an appointment for June 14.

Just happened to me today at 600 miles on my 2021 Silverado 3.0 Duramax. Stopped at the bank, walked up to use the atm, hopped back into my pickup and it cranked for 5 seconds before I decided to hold down on the ignition button. Then tried again and it fired right up.

*Edit - Holding down on the ignition button worked for me to make it stop.

Edited by Claxy515
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 3:54 PM, 1970GTO said:

I am picking it up tomorrow and hopefully they have more information. What little they told me was in a voicemail. If I get any additional information I will relay it. My first no start was after sitting 15 minutes but the second time was a first start of the morning. 

any word on your truck?

So I’ve had my 21 Sierra 3.0 for 3 weeks. I’ve had the crank no start 2 times. Once while trying to remote start and the other when I went to push bottom to start. Both times cranked for 15 to 20 seconds with out starting  and started on second attempt with no issue. I went in to the dealer today for a piece of trip that was popping off the window and mentioned it to them. He found the TSB and told me it wasn’t the Diesel engines with this issue it was the gas. But he did say I needed a software up date and the issue should be fixed. After reading this thread it’s obviously not just a gas engine issue. 

D0A0D8C3-52F7-419A-82B3-ECC6914706A3.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Brenden C said:

So I’ve had my 21 Sierra 3.0 for 3 weeks. I’ve had the crank no start 2 times. Once while trying to remote start and the other when I went to push bottom to start. Both times cranked for 15 to 20 seconds with out starting  and started on second attempt with no issue. I went in to the dealer today for a piece of trip that was popping off the window and mentioned it to them. He found the TSB and told me it wasn’t the Diesel engines with this issue it was the gas. But he did say I needed a software up date and the issue should be fixed. After reading this thread it’s obviously not just a gas engine issue. 

D0A0D8C3-52F7-419A-82B3-ECC6914706A3.jpeg

Mine is also a 3.0.  The dealer performed a software update to mine, not sure which one... had the no start issue 2 weeks after the update.  Taking it back to the dealer next week.  Hopefully the update you got fixed the issue... 

Edited by Barrett10
forgot response
  • Like 1

Joining the club.

This happened to me only once, luckily. On the second day that I had the truck... so less than a hundred miles.

I'm just under 2K miles now and it hasn't happened again. I'm also in the 3.0 Duramax.

I had wrote it off as a one time glitch until I found this thread.

Now I'll be on edge waiting to see if it happens again.

Unfortunately it will most likely happen again but I hope not for you.  3rd time in 900 miles for me today leaving work.  I am waiting for a loaner to come available at the dealer but really just tempted to wait it out until a solid solution is found.  I am in agreement that all the trucks with this issue surely can’t have the bent trigger.  If that is the case it is going to cost quite a bit in warranty work for GM I would think.  Plus I hate the thought of my tuck with 1000 miles having to be torn apart this early.  Frustrating to say the least.  

On 6/4/2021 at 4:56 PM, Gruggas said:

For sure. I’ll try to attach them and not screw this up. The service manager sent me the ring picture. He said he took the picture and the engineers had to come. He said B was my truck and A was a picture from an engineer. Here’s the work order of the work. Sorry it’s not showing more. I’m just to lazy to mark out my info. They didn’t say what the job time would be. I’d imagine a week at least. Just for waiting on parts. Mine took 2 months because apparently I was the first or at least my dealer was the first to figure out the issue. The dealership said GMs bill for that fix is 11 grand. 💀

874722A2-E949-42C8-8448-B5383831B896.png

EAA0BA45-CF68-4CDD-B1F2-F9273B4EF050.jpeg

Wow that’s crazy, hope my AT4 is not that involved. At least it’s all fixed for now.👍😂👍

Service tech told me when I got my truck yesterday that at this time they cannot do anymore trouble shooting without a code thrown(GM will not authorize it). I will update here if/when a code shows up. 2100 miles and still just the two crank no start events.

Edited by 1970GTO