3.0 Duramax cranks but won’t start

2021 Chevy Silverado 1500 with 3.0 Duramax same problem crank no start first time around 1500 miles now the problem is more frequent with 11000 miles no engine codes. Truck will start after about 15 min of set time seems to reset I'm not sure  may be fuel pressure sensor i see other owners having same problem 

“Bent trigger Wheel” is what GMs bulletin said. I took it to dealership and they searched for bulletins and found that. 
I guess I will know next week, when they replace the part( being shipped) whether the trigger wheel is bent or not. 

image.jpg

On 4/30/2021 at 8:43 AM, Gruggas said:

I’ll keep you guys updated. Since my last post, truck is still in the dealer. They tried the new ECM. No go. They had to remove the cab and the timing cover because they said there may be an issue with the timing ring on the camshaft. Hopefully I’m just this unlucky and you fellas don’t need to get to this point. I’ve asked for another truck but currently there is a shortage of trucks here in Canada.

How did you ask for a new truck LOL ? I want to go down that route if they can't fix it next week (they said it's the bent trigger wheel). Since GM issued bulletin on this specific issue, they know it's legit. 

Having the same issue with new 2021 Elevation.

Truck has less than 1000KM or 650mi

Has happened about 8 times now, can't find pattern. Hot, Cold, shut off for 8 hours, shut off for 5 minutes, no consistency.

Dealer doesn't have any room before June 21st. 

Will post update after the service.

Was able to move the appointment up to next Wednesday.

While talking to the Service advisor, I gave him the document ID 5840493 along with a video of the extended crank.

Other link describing the issue: https://gm-techlink.com/?p=14824

He said it looks like the issue I am having.

GM has this repair at 3.1 hours. He mentioned it should be closer to 5 hours.

I have included a recording of what happened on mine, if it can help someone else.

Edited by Thekingarthur

On 3/23/2021 at 5:52 PM, Dbersuch said:

Bought a 2021 Sierra with the 3.0 last week. Twice when trying to start the truck the starter engages and cranks the engine but it will not fire. Starter times out after a few seconds and stops cranking. Anyone else have this happen? 570 miles on the truck.

Yes,  I had the same problem. I have a AT4 with a 3.0. this has happened 4 different times within 2 weeks. Now my truck is a case study.

Hey guys I have an update! So dealership finally got everything dialed in. Apparently mine was the first one to find the fix. I have the pictures of the bent timing ring for the camshaft. It’s a pretty big job. Involves removing cab, changing timing gears and chain on top of the ring. I suggest anyone having this issue contact your dealer immediately. If the bent ring is bent enough, it can touch the timing chain causing damage to the chain. Truck runs beautifully for now! Will keep updated in maybe a months time to let you fellas know how it’s going.

Holy ******.... removing the cab??  What's the estimate rework time on this job?  Do they have any way to verify the "cranks but won't start"?  Mines done it 3 times since new (<1500 miles)

Edited by MNJoel

4 hours ago, Gruggas said:

Hey guys I have an update! So dealership finally got everything dialed in. Apparently mine was the first one to find the fix. I have the pictures of the bent timing ring for the camshaft. It’s a pretty big job. Involves removing cab, changing timing gears and chain on top of the ring. I suggest anyone having this issue contact your dealer immediately. If the bent ring is bent enough, it can touch the timing chain causing damage to the chain. Truck runs beautifully for now! Will keep updated in maybe a months time to let you fellas know how it’s going.

Can you please share the photos?

For sure. I’ll try to attach them and not screw this up. The service manager sent me the ring picture. He said he took the picture and the engineers had to come. He said B was my truck and A was a picture from an engineer. Here’s the work order of the work. Sorry it’s not showing more. I’m just to lazy to mark out my info. They didn’t say what the job time would be. I’d imagine a week at least. Just for waiting on parts. Mine took 2 months because apparently I was the first or at least my dealer was the first to figure out the issue. The dealership said GMs bill for that fix is 11 grand. 💀

874722A2-E949-42C8-8448-B5383831B896.png

EAA0BA45-CF68-4CDD-B1F2-F9273B4EF050.jpeg

Edited by Gruggas

Wow!  What a bummer, not happy GM has to take the whole truck apart to get this fixed... I guess you just have to pray you have a good tech doing all the work...   I wonder how much work it is to get the camshaft position sensor out??  I'm about to get the bore scope out and give it a try.