Any former Tundra owners

9 hours ago, BossTaco2020 said:

I get what you're saying about the interior rattles. It's one of my pet peeves too. My TB has an annoying rattle coming from the back seat between 15-35 mph, but my money is that it's related to the Katzkins that I had installed. Other than that, my truck has been dead silent (except for the tires which is to be expected). This is the first GM truck I've owned after having a few Tacomas (for the most part pretty solid except the one that developed engine sludge) and an F150 EcoTurd (never again). I owned my Tacomas up to about 100K miles and my F150 started having problems at 100K as well. Hopefully my TB lasts to 100K and I'm hoping beyond.

Also that Dashboard-light website seems suspect to me. The data they have on the Tundra past 2015 just shows no years and 100% reliability. That is obviously false, as I'm pretty sure there's at least one 2015+ model that has had a problem. I put zero trust on that website.

Edit: Also wanted to mention that I hope you enjoy your Tundra! I do like the styling and I almost got one, but I was dead-set on a TRD-Pro and I couldn't find one anywhere, plus I'm kinda doubting they'd negotiate on the price. IMO the Tundra's poor transmission/MPG and towing ability were why I ended up with the Silverado. My 10-speed is like BUTTAH!!! That said, both the Tundra and Silverados are good trucks, hope yours serves you well!

the thing about Dashboard Light is that they measure long term reliability. Specifically long term. If you go through all the manufacturers, the numbers are noticeably better for the last 5 years of production. Those numbers are constantly in flux because they continue to inspect more and more vehicles.

Take Toyota for instance. The last time I looked, they had inspected around 280k Toyotas total. That’s for all models and all years. Toyota only makes 100k Tundras per year. The relatively few 2015+ Tundras they’ve inspected have honestly probably not had any problems. That’s just Tundras for you. Overbuilt and underrated. 

You’ll notice on that site a trend that shows older model years with lower ratings than newer model years of the same vehicle. This is because common problems tend to reveal themselves more over time.  The older Tundras are still in the 90s...it makes sense that Tundras that are 5 years old and newer just don’t have any problems. This is my experience and the experience of most Tundras.com people.

Enjoy your TB! They are super cool, especially with the 6.2L I have been a Chevy guy most of my life. I just didn’t quite trust the newest generation. I haven’t ruled them out way down the road in the future when I get another truck. And if I ever need to tow more than a ski boat, I’ll have to upgrade my truck for sure.

With the Tundra, I may lose the 1/4 mile and get worse mpg doing it, but I’m almost guaranteed to win the race to 300k miles. That was more important to me. I want to drive my paid off truck for 10-15 years. I’d trust older domestics to go that distance and more. But the newer half tons, I’m just not sure about.

2 hours ago, Chebby said:

the thing about Dashboard Light is that they measure long term reliability. Specifically long term. If you go through all the manufacturers, the numbers are noticeably better for the last 5 years of production. Those numbers are constantly in flux because they continue to inspect more and more vehicles.

Take Toyota for instance. The last time I looked, they had inspected around 280k Toyotas total. That’s for all models and all years. Toyota only makes 100k Tundras per year. The relatively few 2015+ Tundras they’ve inspected have honestly probably not had any problems. That’s just Tundras for you. Overbuilt and underrated. 

You’ll notice on that site a trend that shows older model years with lower ratings than newer model years of the same vehicle. This is because common problems tend to reveal themselves more over time.  The older Tundras are still in the 90s...it makes sense that Tundras that are 5 years old and newer just don’t have any problems. This is my experience and the experience of most Tundras.com people.

Enjoy your TB! They are super cool, especially with the 6.2L I have been a Chevy guy most of my life. I just didn’t quite trust the newest generation. I haven’t ruled them out way down the road in the future when I get another truck. And if I ever need to tow more than a ski boat, I’ll have to upgrade my truck for sure.

With the Tundra, I may lose the 1/4 mile and get worse mpg doing it, but I’m almost guaranteed to win the race to 300k miles. That was more important to me. I want to drive my paid off truck for 10-15 years. I’d trust older domestics to go that distance and more. But the newer half tons, I’m just not sure about.

I don’t even understand why you’re here talking about your Toyota unless it makes you feel good or something. 
Kind of weird that you’re not over on that awesome Toyota forum you’re speaking of. 
I had a tundra that I had to replace the tranny at 100k, all the break lines shortly there after, and then by rear dif rusted out, leaked, and needed replaced around 150k. That was after I had to replace the head gasket.  This was a 2005 tundra. 
At that time I also had a Toyota Matrix that I ran to 300k. That was a good car. I traded them both on a 2017 Honda Ridgeline. In the tree years and 78,000 miles I had to replace the transmission, main computer, all fuel injectors, front wheel bearings, and the back up camera, twice. That was enough, so I traded it in and bought a 2021 Silverado.   I’m hoping for better luck and really like the truck so far.....300 whopping miles, but fingers crossed. 

Toyota’s do have a good reputation, but I’ve seen em fail, and have had em fail, so I’m not gonna be wanking off to them on another brand’s forum.  

Edited by Jakerex
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Chebby said:

the thing about Dashboard Light is that they measure long term reliability.

no, not really, from their website (http://dashboard-light.com/faq.html#qir):

Where does your data come from?

Our data is provided by a partnership with a national network of used car auctions

Cool! Where can I find your data?

Our data is not (at least at this time) publicly available

And the fact they don't have real data for anything beyond 2015 for Tundras means their data is bullshit and I wouldn't trust that website as far as I can throw it. I think you've drunk the Toyota fanboy koolaid too. It's cool, I get it, you want to believe. You're saying all the cult-ish things those guys say too and making up facts to backup your beliefs. But you're probably not going to find a lot of believers on this site. As Jakerex said, I'm surprised you're not on that awesome Tundra forum you spoke so highly about...

7 minutes ago, BossTaco2020 said:

And the fact they don't have real data for anything beyond 2015 for Tundras means their data is bullshit and I wouldn't trust that website as far as I can throw it. I think you've drunk the Toyota fanboy koolaid too. It's cool, I get it, you want to believe. You're saying all the cult-ish things those guys say too and making up facts to backup your beliefs. But you're probably not going to find a lot of believers on this site. As Jakerex said, I'm surprised you're not on that awesome Tundra forum you spoke so highly about...

I’ve owned more GMs by far than any other vehicle. During my working years every two years I bought usually GM. I was a horsepower junky. GM usually had more to start before modifying. I also did lots of research. Like listening to a radio show called car pro. The guys been on over 20 years. An ex Ford dealerships owner. He usually advises on longevity and or fun factors. Popularity comes into play. He advises on how long you’re going to keep. 100k or 200K plus miles. Hands down across the board he advises Toyota for longevity and low cost to drive especially passed 200K miles and through in Lexus too. That includes tundra. In trucks Ford is just under. For eye pleasing and under 200K miles Ram. GM usually gets it’s ok, or it will do. If I was still working and trading every two years GM or Ram. Who ever dealing. Retired I'm driving an old Chevy. I never owned a tundra. They never were dealing, they didn’t need to. As often as I traded I needed deals. Usually GM.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jakerex said:

I don’t even understand why you’re here talking about your Toyota unless it makes you feel good or something. 
Kind of weird that you’re not over on that awesome Toyota forum you’re speaking of. 

I am, in fact, on that awesome forum often. I posted here because it's relevant to the topic. Also, I really like the new TBs. Again, I almost bought one. 

Not to poke you in the eye, but I mostly come here to search for why my Yukon's dash is lit up like a Christmas tree or why it's in limp mode and throwing codes again. It's a good vehicle, but it takes far more attention to keep running properly.

10 hours ago, Jakerex said:

Toyota’s do have a good reputation, but I’ve seen em fail, and have had em fail, so I’m not gonna be wanking off to them on another brand’s forum.  

Yeah, no maker is perfect. Your experience with your Tundra sucks. I'd be super pissed to be one of the very few who have issues. May neither of our trucks spend any time on our dealer's lifts! 🍻 

And you're kinda proving my point about the forum. 🤷‍♂️

38 minutes ago, BossTaco2020 said:

The site literally used to be called the Long Term Quality Index.  Read this link. Some selected quotes:

"Dashboard Light is our attempt to offer free information about the long-term reliability of vehicles, forever."

"Unlike J.D. Power, which focuses their studies on the earliest portions of  a vehicles life, and Consumer Reports, which regulates its study to surveys filled out by owners of late model vehicles, LTQI has been designed to assess the long-term reliability of used cars from the point they are three years old to the end of its life cycle."

Also, on the FAQ page, you linked to, if you just read a tiny bit further, you see that it indeed measures long term reliability:

"The Quality Index Rating(QIR) offers an overall score based on the frequency of powertrain issues, the mileage distribution of when those issues take place, and vehicle age at the time of trade-in. You can think of it as a weighted average where we look at a number of factors for a given vehicle model, and then get a single value indicating it's overall long-term reliability."

Regarding the sharing of their data that you quoted, again, just read a bit further:

"Our partnership agreement with our data providers does not allow us to publicly redistribute the database, but we try to provide transparency wherever possible to indicate the sources for, and methods used, in our analysis."

1 hour ago, BossTaco2020 said:

And the fact they don't have real data for anything beyond 2015 for Tundras means their data is bullshit and I wouldn't trust that website as far as I can throw it.

They do. For every vehicle, they have data from 2017 back. I guess I agree that it's a bit confusing. The reliability scores at the top seem like more of a "quick and dirty" snapshot of model year ranges. But on every single page, the graphs below suggest that the deep-dive assessment of Yearly Defect Ratio/Quality Index Rating enters at the time the vehicle is three years old. For every full-size truck, the data goes through 2017 on those charts. I expect to see 2018 vehicles included in those graphs soon.

Look at the Titan page...why is there insufficient data for a reliability rating for 2016+ Titans, but the YDR/QIR graphs show data for up to and including 2017? I emailed them and asked to clarify the apparent disparity. 

32 minutes ago, Chebby said:

The site literally used to be called the Long Term Quality Index.  Read this link. Some selected quotes:

"Dashboard Light is our attempt to offer free information about the long-term reliability of vehicles, forever."

"Unlike J.D. Power, which focuses their studies on the earliest portions of  a vehicles life, and Consumer Reports, which regulates its study to surveys filled out by owners of late model vehicles, LTQI has been designed to assess the long-term reliability of used cars from the point they are three years old to the end of its life cycle."

Also, on the FAQ page, you linked to, if you just read a tiny bit further, you see that it indeed measures long term reliability:

"The Quality Index Rating(QIR) offers an overall score based on the frequency of powertrain issues, the mileage distribution of when those issues take place, and vehicle age at the time of trade-in. You can think of it as a weighted average where we look at a number of factors for a given vehicle model, and then get a single value indicating it's overall long-term reliability."

Regarding the sharing of their data that you quoted, again, just read a bit further:

"Our partnership agreement with our data providers does not allow us to publicly redistribute the database, but we try to provide transparency wherever possible to indicate the sources for, and methods used, in our analysis."

They do. For every vehicle, they have data from 2017 back. I guess I agree that it's a bit confusing. The reliability scores at the top seem like more of a "quick and dirty" snapshot of model year ranges. But on every single page, the graphs below suggest that the deep-dive assessment of Yearly Defect Ratio/Quality Index Rating enters at the time the vehicle is three years old. For every full-size truck, the data goes through 2017 on those charts. I expect to see 2018 vehicles included in those graphs soon.

Look at the Titan page...why is there insufficient data for a reliability rating for 2016+ Titans, but the YDR/QIR graphs show data for up to and including 2017? I emailed them and asked to clarify the apparent disparity. 

in all of your posts you've made a lot of great points. Toyota's platform is older than anyone's however their platform is tried and true and it sure seems like they have found a great medium of reliability in their platform. If every other truck platform was that old and was still being tweaked I'm sure you'd see similar reliability ratings with the same complaints of MPG and old Tech. They went all in on reliability at the sacrifice of some creature comforts and efficiency in MPG. It works for some and not others which is what makes capitalism great! 

• Like 3