Any former Tundra owners

Hey all, I'm currently in a 16 tundra but around the end of the year/first of next I'm looking to possibly upgrade. 

My 2 options are the unreleased 4th gen tundra, or an AT4 with the 3.0 duramax. 

So my question is, has anyone made the swap from tundra to GM? And what do you like/dislike about each. Even better would be the exact swap I'm looking at. 

The biggest reasons I'm looking towards the at4 is daily mpg, the torque for towing, updated interior tech, crew cab with long box, and they just look damn good. 

For reference I drive 60 miles a day round trip for work, tow a 21' bass boat 60-120 miles most weekends, and haul a 26' camper a few times for up to 300 miles during hunting season. I currently average 14mpg throughout the week, 9 with the boat behind and 5 with the camper. 

Any input or first hand comparisons are greatly appreciated. 

My only advice would be drive the only 3 I'd even consider.  The 5.3-->6.2-->3.0 dizzel.

I ended up with the 6.2 as I wanted that rip your head back feeling and MPGs weren't as important to me.

• Like 3

I have had several Tundras all with 5.7L. They are awesome trucks but are certainly dated compared to newer offerings from their competing brands. I think that the current 1500’s will hit a nice balance for you if you want newer tech but still appreciate a true V8 and a proven design. The newer models actually remind me of my Tundras in ways just by the way it feels size wise. You’d be pleased  making the jump, as I have. Definitely go with the 6.2l! 

• Like 2

I came from 2 Tacomas, 4Runner and a FJ Cruiser.

Love driving my Sierra. Much smoother, easier on long trips, and really comfortable seats.

Never had a Tundra, but have heard that they are reliable. Just really like the exterior looks of the Sierra. The Silverado is growing a lot on me too. The interior gets mixed reviews, but I am really happy with it.

I would test drive the AT4 and go from there.

I didn't own a Tundra, but seriously considered a TRD Pro at time of purchase. The interior of the Tundra is dated, and it shows. It lacks features that most truck owners don't even think about because it's assumed the truck has it. Look under the rear seat for storage. Zero in a Tundra. Lots of space, and GM has a few options for boxes/bins.

The worst mpg GM has is better than the best Toyota can offer. If you want the diesel AT4, get it. Toyota will never be able to compete with it. However, understand it is not an exciting powertrain. It works, and it works very well. It will get done what you want it to. However, for a few dollars, and smiles, more, there is the 6.2 V8. Toyota won't compete with that engine when they debut the next generation Tundra. The 6.2 makes the same torque as the diesel, but it's advantage in the upper end with horsepower gives it the win (277 vs 420) for passing and climbing hills.

I have a Trail Boss LT (same as AT4) (with the 6.2). I love the suspension setup. It feels and drives like a truck should, imo. Everything else seems soft and cushy like a rwd car (go drive a Charger RT for comparison). If you want a TRUCK, Trail Boss or AT4 are the way to go.

You stated you want a long box. That is not an option on a Trail Boss or AT4, and not an option on any truck with a crew cab regardless of trim level. GM has 3 bed lengths. Short is 5'9"; Standard is 6'6"; Long is 8'. With a crew cab you can get short and standard. The bed are about 6' wide, so the short bed is wider than it is long. The bed are also really tall. You will need to climb into the truck or stand on the tire to get anything out of the bed.

Lastly, you said you tow often. Beware of the multipro tailgate. It's useful, but open it the wrong way and it'll get damaged by the hitch. Don't open the upper portion with a ball and mount in the hitch. There is an aftermarket help for this, but I'll leave that up to you to search.

I'm glad I went with Chevy over the Toyota, and don't regret it one bit. The MSRP was the same, so I think I got more for money with the Chevy.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you’re into the latest tec and don’t mind the Frankenstein GM engine go Ram or GM. I’m still not convinced with the GM engine technology lasting like the old. I know a few tundra owners nothing but good results. With one exception. Mice trouble with the soy base wire coating. The Rams ride can’t be beat. I know a few happy owners. Recent update one the three my brother owns at his business. The oldest Ram had a transmission rebuilt at 200K lost overdrive. The second oldest at 50K. Transmission problems and a valve train rebuild. Cylinder deactivation failure. Luckily had extended warranty. The newest just a year old tickled with it. The driving aids take some getting use to. Seems to be the same with all models. Two recent raptor buys. Nephew and head sales guy. They’re like kids at Christmas. Nothing but good things. I’m old school. Shoulda kept the V8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can contribute here...I have a 2016 Tundra CrewMax 4x4 with the 5.7 as my company truck. During the summer months I pull a Kawasaki Mule FXT all over the hills and mountains of East Tn. The rest of the year I don't tow. The ride is fair and the towing is sufficient, but not fantastic. I have the split bench model with the fold down armrest. It's only semi comfortable at best.  Mileage is TERRIBLE both towing and not. I average about 13mpg not towing and 9-10 towing. Power is pretty good, but doesn't compare to the 6.2. 

Prior to getting my Trailboss with the 6.2 in November I had a Titan XD with the Cummins. Pulling the same trailer I pull for work with the XD was completely different. Power and stability. Same thing with the Trailboss. Hands down the TB tows better than the Tundra. Not to mention the interior is far superior. That being said when it came time to get rid of the XD I never even considered a Tundra. It's a great free truck with a gas card and I love it for work, but I wouldn't buy one for personal use. Only point in the win column for the Tundra is the back seat...its huge. Other than that the TB wins every category. 

• Like 1

I don't have any experience with the Tundra, but my neighbors had one in the early 2000s. Its just amazing to me that in the course of 2 decades they haven't been able to get the truck to crack 20mpg. Not everyone's main concern, but considering the efficiency of the other Toyota passenger cars, it just seems strange.

Love my 3.0L duramax. I wasn't even looking at the Tundra based on the abysmal fuel efficiency especially when there are numerous other options available.

Edited by AONYX

I never owned one but my cousin owned 2 of them. I drove it quite a bit working with him on odds jobs. They got horrific gas mileage, interior was plain and dull, but I thought they rode nice, were quiet, and basically bulletproof. He didn’t have any trouble with either one.  

I went from a 2013 doublecab Tundra with the 5.7 to a 2020 crewmax Silverado LTZ with 3L diesel. The tundra was a great truck except for the gas mileage. In the tundra I saw slightly over 18 mpg on one trip but most trips were in the low 17s.. Last weekend in the silverado  I got slightly over 32 mpg. Most of my trips have been between 27 (driving like a mad man) and 29.

I have towed a 2017 Phoenix 920 ProXP with both trucks. The towing experience was almost equal but I think the silverado does better; since it have 59 more foot pounds of torque. The tundra averaged around 14 while towing while the silverado gets closer to 16.

The technology is definitely better in the Silverado. It has cameras that help connect to the trailer and cameras that help with switching lanes. I can also check the trailer lights without going back and forth to the truck. I hookup the trailer and connect the lights. The truck recognizes the trailer and then I hit the button to conduct the light test. The truck cycles the trailer lights through reverse, brake, left and right turn signals continuously till I turn off the app.

2 hours ago, tonto340 said:

I went from a 2013 doublecab Tundra with the 5.7 to a 2020 crewmax Silverado LTZ with 3L diesel. The tundra was a great truck except for the gas mileage. In the tundra I saw slightly over 18 mpg on one trip but most trips were in the low 17s.. Last weekend in the silverado  I got slightly over 32 mpg. Most of my trips have been between 27 (driving like a mad man) and 29.

I have towed a 2017 Phoenix 920 ProXP with both trucks. The towing experience was almost equal but I think the silverado does better; since it have 59 more foot pounds of torque. The tundra averaged around 14 while towing while the silverado gets closer to 16.

The technology is definitely better in the Silverado. It has cameras that help connect to the trailer and cameras that help with switching lanes. I can also check the trailer lights without going back and forth to the truck. I hookup the trailer and connect the lights. The truck recognizes the trailer and then I hit the button to conduct the light test. The truck cycles the trailer lights through reverse, brake, left and right turn signals continuously till I turn off the app.

You're definitely the closest comparison so far. I've got a 2018 Phoenix 721. 

Only difference is my tundra never got that good of gas mileage when stock. I was 16.5 on the highway, 10.5-11 towing the boat. I leveled and went to 33's and dropped to 15 and 9. 

I didn't know they had the trailer check feature, that's pretty cool. My driveway makes a 90 degree turn into the garage so when I hook the boat up it's at a big angle. I can hit the brakes and signals and see the light off them in the mirrors in the dark so I don't have to do a walk around, but it's still old school. 

How does your Silverado stack up to the tundra stopping your Phoenix? 

On 4/16/2021 at 2:40 PM, Tcoll267 said:

By long box I meant standard 6'6" bed. I should have clarified. 

My buddy's dad has a 6.2 trail boss. It's fun to drive but I could take or leave the exciting smile factor. I'm more into getting the job done and in comfort these days.

ahh   6 foot 6 bed  is  far from a long box..  In my world that is a SUV With a open trunk. Totally useless for my line of work.. 

Not picking  but its funny .  

This is a funny thread. The Toy's 5.7 dated motor that it's best feature. Mileage is not as good because?????? You know all that crap you hate about a GM V8 like GDI and AFM/DFM/Auto stop start? All those things that make the GM mileage better? So pick one already. OR get an Ecoboost. :crackup:

• Like 2