2021 Sierra (AT4) no infotainment updates?

I read recently (3/31/21) there was an update (v155) to the infotainment on the 2021 Sierra that for now, only dealers can manually update. I have hear of at least one more update prior. When my truck was at the dealership for something else, they said there were no updates to apply.

If I click "about" in the settings menu, it says the software build is March 2020. When showing the "update history" below that, it shows nothing. Every time I try to do an OTA update, it doesn't find anything. Does my dealership just not know?

Lastly - I am a tech guy. I can't find anything on previous updates, release notes, etc. ?

I am also a former "tech guy" so was anxious to get the update as soon as I saw an email about it.  PM me if you want a copy of it.

Had first oil change on my 2021 Denali last week.  I got them to update mine to v155.  They didn't want to update it and only after I let them know that I have misc Android Auto issues would they do it.  As a general practice apparently my dealer won't do it if nothing is broken.  They likely don't want to bother in your case I'm sorry to say.

For the record, I still have flaky Android Auto issues.  It doesn't seem to have corrected the random ignoring of requests and responses that I encounter on a regular basis.

GM is the absolute worst at pushing updates OTA.

At least they had to pay for a tow because of a dead battery in my case ... all because of my truck not getting the OTA.

Edited by steve841

9 hours ago, lebag335 said:

Saturday I got an Onstar update 4.46.  It updated fine and I swear my truck drives better!  Placebo effect?

Yes.  Placebo effect.

The OTA updates are infotainment system only.

• Haha 1

I've had my truck just over a week and noticed anytime I hit "apps" on the display it brought up a connection error and said to check my internet connection. I work in IT, specifically networking and I tried all the typical stuff; connect truck to home wifi, have truck forget home network, turn off wifi on phone, power phone off completely, - all resulted in the same error. After I did everything I could I contacted On*Star who put me through to the connection troubleshooting folks.

There was a module change between 2020/2021 involving wifi resulting in the infotainment system not communicating with the Wifi module of the truck. I have thought they were all bound by hardware but, from what they told me, wifi is separate from Infotainment system and they only communicate wirelessly.

The fix is a firmware update which can only be applied by the dealer service dept. Likely because the system cannot communicate via wifi and thus cannot download update.

So, if pressing apps on your display results in a message stating to check your internet connection then the dealer must update firmware.

I have yet to have this done, hopefully will be completed within the next 10 days. If so I will update here.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 4:45 PM, Cr Lloyd said:

I read recently (3/31/21) there was an update (v155) to the infotainment on the 2021 Sierra that for now, only dealers can manually update. I have hear of at least one more update prior. When my truck was at the dealership for something else, they said there were no updates to apply.

If I click "about" in the settings menu, it says the software build is March 2020. When showing the "update history" below that, it shows nothing. Every time I try to do an OTA update, it doesn't find anything. Does my dealership just not know?

Lastly - I am a tech guy. I can't find anything on previous updates, release notes, etc. ?

Going in this Wednesday for the v155 update as per the OnStar tech support adviser. My truck will not communicate with the wifi. I can connect to my home wifi or iphone hotspot for about two seconds before the truck disconnects. I can't get the traffic updates on the navigation system either. I tried clearing all my personal info from the truck also and now I cannot sign in except as guest only. They can't do the over the air update because the truck cannot communicate with OnStar except for phone calls only. OnStar told me this is a known problem for 2021 GM vehicles. I'll update if I have success. 

• 2 months later...