Solar Battery Maintainer

With COVID restrictions, I’ve been driving significantly less and was wondering if anyone is (or has in the past) using a solar battery maintainer such as the one below?   It’s only 10W with no controller.   Will be using it on my 2019 RST.  

ECO-WORTHY 12 Volt 10 Watt Solar Battery Charger

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B017K6PH1S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_R184PJ396YAFZZZZKS02?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I use one on my boat for winter storage. It gets stored in a big boat yard storage rack with no access to power. So, my options are take the battery home to a plug in tender, or leave it on the solar charger.

I don't have that brand, and don't recall the brand I have, but it works just fine. Even up here in the PacificNorthwest with little sun light in the winters 😉

My only fear has been theft, but it hasn't happened so far. 

11 hours ago, Transient said:

I thought our vehicles had battery run down protecting built in to them?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Isn't that for shutting off accessories and lights xyz minutes after engine shut-off? 

Even in shipping mode they probably draw a small amount of current.

On 4/21/2021 at 9:59 PM, SilveradoRST said:

With COVID restrictions, I’ve been driving significantly less and was wondering if anyone is (or has in the past) using a solar battery maintainer such as the one below?   It’s only 10W with no controller.   Will be using it on my 2019 RST.  

ECO-WORTHY 12 Volt 10 Watt Solar Battery Charger

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B017K6PH1S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_R184PJ396YAFZZZZKS02?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

How long are you planning to have it parked? 

Detail description of that one makes it seem like only a trickle charger and not a 'battery maintainer'. 

10 minutes ago, redwngr said:

How long are you planning to have it parked? 

Detail description of that one makes it seem like only a trickle charger and not a 'battery maintainer'. 

I’m driving maybe once every 2-3 months.  And that would be a short drive, 20km or so.  Should I look for a different product? 

I'd be looking for a 'maintainer' from somebody like Deltran (makers of the Battery Tender  brand)

https://www.batterytender.com/

They make maintainers that are corded, and I think they also have solar powered ones. 

Doesn't take a very big maintainer to overcome the parasitic draw when 

20 km one every couple months sure isn't much running.  Probably not enough to even get the oil up to full operating temperature.

Anyway, you could probably also put the truck back in 'Transport mode' to reduce the draw on the battery when truck is out of use.

Info about Transport mode, and the normal BCM 'sleep' mode.

Battery Saver Mode (Transport Mode)

Battery saver mode (transport mode) reduces the parasitic load of some modules during overseas shipment or during vehicle storage conditions.

This improves the drain time on the battery (up to 70 days without the battery going dead). When a vehicle is in transport/storage, some features may have reduced functionality while in the battery saver mode, such as disabling keyless entry, after blow, and content theft features.

Battery saver mode is initiated by turning on the hazard flashers, applying the brake pedal, and then turning the ignition key to the start position or pushing the ignition mode switch with the foot on the brake for greater than 15 seconds. The mode is disengaged by
repeating the previous process. The driver information center (if equipped) will display Transport Mode is On when battery saver mode is enabled and Transport Mode is Off when battery saver mode is disabled.

For vehicles not equipped with a driver information center, the battery indicator light will constantly flash on the Instrument Cluster when battery saver mode is enabled. This feature can be used as many times as necessary if the vehicle is to be stored for an extended period of time.

BCM Awake/Sleep States

The BCM is able to control or perform all of the BCM functions in the awake state. The BCM enters the sleep state when active control or normal monitoring of system functions has stopped and a time limit has passed. The BCM must detect certain wake-up inputs before entering the awake state. The BCM monitors for these inputs during the sleep state.

The BCM will enter the awake state if any of the following wake-up inputs are detected:
• Activity on the serial data line
• Detection of a battery reconnect
• Any door open signal
• Headlamps ON
• Key-in-ignition
• Ignition ON
• Park lamps ON
• Keyless entry or remote start message

The BCM will enter a sleep state when all of the following conditions exist:
• The ignition switch is OFF, key out.
• Ignition OFF, transmitter is out of range
• No activity exists on the serial data line.
• No outputs are commanded.
• No delay timers are actively counting.
• No wake-up inputs are present.
If all these conditions are met, the BCM will enter a low power or sleep condition.

• Like 2

IMO

I wouldn't have a charger or maintainer that doesn't have a controller. An alternator regulates voltage.

The solar panel with controller I listed and have used works great. We had a cabin that we left a second car sitting for occasional use. This car could sit for 6 months during winter. 

It always started.

Brother in law has it now on a pickup that sits for long periods and it always starts.

For a few dollars more than the one you mentioned well worth it IMO.

The key is pointing the panel in the right direction to get solar charging. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I just saw this post and had to chime in. I recently installed solar batteries, and I love them so far. It's so convenient not having to worry about running out of juice when I'm not driving my ride as much these days. I've heard good things about the Solar Battery Charger you're talking about. Have you tried it out yet? How's it working for you? BTW, I switched to solar because of all the capabilities it offers. Plus, it's a more sustainable option, and I wanted to do my part in taking care of the environment. I came across yenex.com, and they had many great options to choose from.

Edited by Alzwaberdyn