Grade Braking??

So I traded in my 2015 1500 GMC Sierra, which had Max Trailer tow Pkg...it had grade braking....drove down a long steep hill with the brake on and it engaged, using the the engine and trans to slow down until you hit the gas and it it turned off....

I just picked up a new 2021 2500 Denali HD GAS....it does not seem to have it, which is surprising to me...unless I'm missing something, does it have to be in tow mode maybe??

Going from a 2015 SLT to a 2021 HD Denali I keep finding things that I miss from older truck that this new one doesn't do....

9 minutes ago, Dusilligaf said:

So I traded in my 2015 1500 GMC Sierra, which had Max Trailer tow Pkg...it had grade braking....drove down a long steep hill with the brake on and it engaged, using the the engine and trans to slow down until you hit the gas and it it turned off....

I just picked up a new 2021 2500 Denali HD GAS....it does not seem to have it, which is surprising to me...unless I'm missing something, does it have to be in tow mode maybe??

Going from a 2015 SLT to a 2021 HD Denali I keep finding things that I miss from older truck that this new one doesn't do....

It's more aggressive when tow / haul is engaged.  Also a brake apply helps start the grade braking if you don't have the cruise on.

#iworkforGM 

11 minutes ago, MTU Alum said:

It's more aggressive when tow / haul is engaged.  Also a brake apply helps start the grade braking if you don't have the cruise on.

#iworkforGM 

I was used to coming on with or without trailer mode. it would actually say on the dash screen "grade braking active"...

I dragged the brake pedal all the way down a steep hill in my new truck and got no message and no feel of the engine revving me up to slow down...but I wasn't in tow mode...ill guess ill have to try it that way?

9 hours ago, MTU Alum said:

I don't believe you will get a message any more.  You may need a little more aggressive with your brake apply.  

#iworkforGM 

I believe you are correct.  I live in an area that has a lot of hills and valley's, and when I am heading down a particularly steep hill, and brake, the engine braking kicks in until I either accelerate or get to the bottom of the hill.  No indicators light up on the dash to inform me of the engine braking the truck...but you can certainly feel it happening.

1 hour ago, RugbyRef said:

I believe you are correct.  I live in an area that has a lot of hills and valley's, and when I am heading down a particularly steep hill, and brake, the engine braking kicks in until I either accelerate or get to the bottom of the hill.  No indicators light up on the dash to inform me of the engine braking the truck...but you can certainly feel it happening.

You have a gas motor, correct? And you notice it when driving it in normal mode, not just trailer mode?

11 minutes ago, RugbyRef said:

@Dusilligaf - I have a diesel, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference...and, yes, it happens in normal driving mode as well as tow mode.

I believe there is a switch on the console in the diesel truck for grade braking that I do not have in the gas truck...

In my experience, with the gas engine, you have to be in tow/haul mode for "grade braking" to come on.  When in tow/haul, I've noticed the truck will apply engine braking even on level ground, whether loaded or not.

• Like 2