dealer forced options

On 5/3/2021 at 9:36 PM, Gray Fox said:

Grumpy, at least my guess was right on. Yours not so much. If you were observant, you would have read what I said, not what you wanted to hear. I never said I would buy with add ons. I have notes in this string that my last 3 trucks were purchased 125+ miles from home to avoid that. I also said I ordered a 1980 K10 in 1979. That was before many on this board were born. 

Oh, and about the “gray”, I have a head full of it. For the past 20+ years. 

People can ask whatever they want and people can pay whatever they want. It is up to both.  Oh, and some with gray don’t worry what it cost if they want to buy it. 

What's that Forest Gump said about stupid? 

:crackup:

It's one of those things duct tape can't fix, yes

But not what he said:

"Stupid is as stupid does".

Mine turned curly, then turned gray, then turned loose. Driving since the early 60's.

Now can we can zip up our pants. 

Yea-yea they can. Doesn't make it smart. Makes in hard on everyone else. Thus the Gump reference. 

Dad taught me a huge list of useful things. One of those was that some people at 70 make decisions as if they were 7 and some people at 7 are as wise at one 107. And he's still teaching me well into his 90's. 

And that would be an example of the later. 

:banghead:

On 5/5/2021 at 2:23 AM, waltchan said:

You're lucky you haven't been to the worst dealer. The worst dealer in America is a Ram dealer in Huntington Beach, CA. Mandatory markups of $5,000 over MSRP are required, plus an additional mandatory markup of $7,000 on dealer add-on accessories. Total $12,000 mandatory markup.

They mark them up because they know people will pay and many will even brag the had to pay more, more money than brains.  When the Dodge Viper came out many west coast dealer were doing the same, markup.  Local dealer here was discounting one because he could not sell it very easy. Guy who bought, still owns to the day although I have not seen him driving it for couple years, old trucker.

Edited by elcamino

Dealers are and can pull all kinds of crap now.  Some are forcing the purchase of extended warranties, some will not sell to out of state buyers, I've seen as much as $10k in "high demand fees", the list goes on.    Right now they can, people are walking in offering full MSRP, and ordering for full MSRP.   Most dealers are refusing to honor any GM Supplier, military etc. discounts. 

It's the best sellers market that probably has ever existed, and most dealers are going to take advantage of it in every way possible.   There's also been a lot of reports of even those that signed purchase agreements are being told the price went up when they go to pick up the vehicles now.   My guess is that's how they get you to commit to it, get you in the store then try and squeeze more $, demand is so high right now they probably figure they can get enough people to fall for it.