dealer forced options

I love how people go into buying a new vehicle and not research what they are buying 1st!! Yes there is a dealer here in Atlanta where I leased my truck. They add stuff to all of their vehicles. About $1500 worth. However there is a sticker added onto the window sticker that lists all of the add-ons plus their website has a picture of the same sticker with every vehicle listed. Here is the add on sticker from my truck. It was placed right next to the original GM window sticker.

image.thumb.jpeg.146b3a61959db68e9594154a1c5a8679.jpeg

Edited by 2016 Sierra Owner
spelling

The point is the dealer owns the vehicle. They can add anything they want and charge any price they want. Depends on how bad they want to sell. Just like Chevrolet can stick any option in a package and you can’t deleted it. The question is do you want it bad enough to buy it that way and at that price. Same thing when it is yours you can add flames if you want. Some might like, others may not when you get ready to sell. . 

My 09 and 12 had movable pedals. Wouldn’t  give a nickel for them but had to pay for them as part of a package I wanted. Back when I ordered my 1980 K10 Silverado you could get what you wanted. I ordered power windows without power locks, pretty rare. No tilt and no cruise control. Even deleted the radio. You cannot  do that now. 

I look through the bill of sale thoroughly and dont allow them to add any of that ****** long with doc fee’s. If they refuse, i go elsewhere. Dealership tried that ****** on my mother inlaw. Charged $70 for a gas fee on a car that only takes $35 worth of gas, cleaning/wash fee and it was delivered dirty as hell and a $500 remote start for them to install it. Brought my mother inlaw to a dodge dealer down the road and talked about the nissan juke she was looking at, at the dealer down the road and turns out it came from the dodge dodge dealership and it already had the remote start installed

On 4/29/2021 at 7:48 PM, tboat said:

Had an interesting confrontation with a dealer today.  Found a 2021 GMC Sierra Denali I wanted to buy.  Negotiated the price with the dealer.  As we began to get everything together, I noticed an entry for "dealer add ons" about $1200.  I asked what it was about.  It was for undercoating, fabric protection, paint protection including a clay bar.  I told them I didn't want any of it even if it was free.  Who in the hell would clay bar a new vehicle.  I was told it wasn't optional.  They were charging it on all trucks.  He admitted it was just a way to make a few extra $$$.  Neither of us would back off so I didn't purchase it.  I refuse to be forced into buying something I don't want or even need.  Anybody else run into this situation?  

My 2019, 2020 and 2021 all had addendums.....I didn't pay for any of it on either.....they waived it but it took some time....about a week or so on avg......definetly not in first "round" of negotiations but they will if they need to sell......right now they don't so will be tougher

Wife wants a new one in the worst way but the sticker shock has dampened her eagerness to be silly with her money. I hope. My truck is currently selling for more, six years later and with a 135K more miles on it, than it did when I bought it. However the buy or trade offers...not so much. 30 cents on the retail dollar. :wtf:

This bubble will break just like every other bubble, eventually. So I tell her she has two sane options. Wait until stupid is done being stupid OR buy something NOBODY else wants. There are still parts of the market that are depressed. 

Something else I've noticed. Used is no longer used....it's trashed beyond recognition and commanding nosebleed prices. This isn't on the corner lots now on the outskirts of some shady residential area...this is the used offerings in NEW lots! Seems people are in either a panic or a frenzy. Senseless like wounded animals. I think this is a combination of people who don't care about maintenance (look at the interior...yuck) and the last few years where OEMs are churning out JUNK that has been junk and just waiting for the public to notice. 

We were lot cruising today and saw a few that had 100K miles on them with stickers 5K over the MSRP when they were new!! If that isn't insane...what is? 

7 hours ago, Gray Fox said:

The point is the dealer owns the vehicle. They can add anything they want and charge any price they want. Depends on how bad they want to sell. Just like Chevrolet can stick any option in a package and you can’t deleted it. The question is do you want it bad enough to buy it that way and at that price. Same thing when it is yours you can add flames if you want. Some might like, others may not when you get ready to sell. . 

My 09 and 12 had movable pedals. Wouldn’t  give a nickel for them but had to pay for them as part of a package I wanted. Back when I ordered my 1980 K10 Silverado you could get what you wanted. I ordered power windows without power locks, pretty rare. No tilt and no cruise control. Even deleted the radio. You cannot  do that now. 

OEM installed is not the same as dealer installed. Dealer never OWNS the inventory. They have a load against it. The floor plan. If they ran a key down the door and called it an option would you buy it?  

19 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Wife wants a new one in the worst way but the sticker shock has dampened her eagerness to be silly with her money. I hope. My truck is currently selling for more, six years later and with a 135K more miles on it, than it did when I bought it. However the buy or trade offers...not so much. 30 cents on the retail dollar. :wtf:

This bubble will break just like every other bubble, eventually. So I tell her she has two sane options. Wait until stupid is done being stupid OR buy something NOBODY else wants. There are still parts of the market that are depressed. 

Something else I've noticed. Used is no longer used....it's trashed beyond recognition and commanding nosebleed prices. This isn't on the corner lots now on the outskirts of some shady residential area...this is the used offerings in NEW lots! Seems people are in either a panic or a frenzy. Senseless like wounded animals. I think this is a combination of people who don't care about maintenance (look at the interior...yuck) and the last few years where OEMs are churning out JUNK that has been junk and just waiting for the public to notice. 

We were lot cruising today and saw a few that had 100K miles on them with stickers 5K over the MSRP when they were new!! If that isn't insane...what is? 

OEM installed is not the same as dealer installed. Dealer never OWNS the inventory. They have a load against it. The floor plan. If they ran a key down the door and called it an option would you buy it?  

I know the dealer never owns free and clear, but they are between the buyer and the manufacturer. Most of us can’t buy directly from GM. Supply and demand are what drive prices on everything. Look at the stock market. Anything that is for sale is only worth what some is willing to pay. If someone is willing to pay for add ons, dealers will put them on to increase bottom line or not discount as much. If their competitors don’t and they don’t sell, they change. Right now with the supply and demand, many do not have too.  I am sure when you sell your truck you will want every dollar you can get. 

6 minutes ago, Gray Fox said:

I know the dealer never owns free and clear, but they are between the buyer and the manufacturer. Most of us can’t buy directly from GM. Supply and demand are what drive prices on everything. Look at the stock market. Anything that is for sale is only worth what some is willing to pay. If someone is willing to pay for add ons, dealers will put them on to increase bottom line or not discount as much. If their competitors don’t and they don’t sell, they change. Right now with the supply and demand, many do not have too.  I am sure when you sell your truck you will want every dollar you can get. 

Your not really gray are you? 😉 

Markets USE to be 'supply and demand'. It's what we learned in school isn't it? But what it is is 'speculation' driven and has been for decades. Bitcoin a current example. Real Estate before that. Dot COM before that. Oil before that. Reddit pushed stocks, worthless stocks to nosebleed prices on speculation. People lost BILLIONS. 

You use to buy a stock for he dividend or a bond for the yield. But when you buy it for the strike price inflation...your not investing...your gambling. Buy the index not the stock. 

Guys buy tennis shoes and baseball cards for MILLIONS because somebody with more money than sense is willing. 

I've always had more sense than money so while that may be the market....I'm not buying. Not buying 2 million dollar shoes and not buying 150 dollar N2 or 200 dollar mud flaps.

I'm certainly not buying Scotch Guard the dealer says he applied that is STANDARD FACORTY ISSUE. 

Here's the bottom line. My bottom line. I spend my money. You spend yours.

😉 

Grumpy, not sure why you are questioning if I am “gray”, I sure don’t question if you are “Grumpy”. I just said a dealer can charge whatever they want. If they want to double MSRP they can. May not sell too many but you don’t have to buy. Depends on how bad you want it. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Gray Fox said:

Grumpy, not sure why you are questioning if I am “gray”, I sure don’t question if you are “Grumpy”. I just said a dealer can charge whatever they want. If they want to double MSRP they can. May not sell too many but you don’t have to buy. Depends on how bad you want it. 

I’ve bought 3 cars at sticker. 94 impala ss, 01 Acura intagra type r, 06 trailblazer ss. Still have the Acura. Worth three time what I paid. Was going to buy the Honda S-2000 when it came out. They wanted 10K over sticker. Hell no. It didn’t go over too well. I’m still puzzled though. If he saw the add on after the negotiations and was already included. What’s the beef? I’m surprised the salesman didn’t say Oh that was a mistake, it doesn’t have it, typo. He would have said oh, okay I’ll buy it then?  

image.png

• Like 1

I was able to get the dealer add ons taken off the price of my wifes car, totaled about $1100.

There was nothing I could see, protection, nitrogen etc. I said I'm not paying anything for what I can't see.

13 hours ago, Gray Fox said:

:crackup:Oh, I am Grumpy :crackup:

Gray is a symbol of age and wisdom Fox. I sense by your reasoning and comments you are young. 

Yes yes...he can ask whatever he pleases. True, a few will buy regardless.

Just not anyone truly gray.

A few more perhaps will argue it is a thing in which we have no choice.

I don't do F.U.D.

(fear, uncertainty, doubt)

It is never the last one on earth. It is never "Everyone does this". It is never the only deal to be made.  

And I will get Grumpy about it when ignorance suggest it is.

Anyone that WANTS a thing bad enough to be cheated......Well......I can't even feel sorry for them.

Understand?

Edited by Grumpy Bear

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

:crackup:Oh, I am Grumpy :crackup:

Gray is a symbol of age and wisdom Fox. I sense by your reasoning and comments you are young. 

Yes yes...he can ask whatever he pleases. True, a few will buy regardless.

A few more perhaps will argue it is a thing in which we have no choice.

I don't do F.U.D.

(fear, uncertainty, doubt)

It is never the last one on earth. It is never "Everyone does this". It is never the only deal to be made.  

And I will get Grumpy about it when ignorance suggest it is.

Anyone that WANTS a thing bad enough to be cheated......Well......I can't even feel sorry for them.

Understand?

Grumpy, at least my guess was right on. Yours not so much. If you were observant, you would have read what I said, not what you wanted to hear. I never said I would buy with add ons. I have notes in this string that my last 3 trucks were purchased 125+ miles from home to avoid that. I also said I ordered a 1980 K10 in 1979. That was before many on this board were born. 

Oh, and about the “gray”, I have a head full of it. For the past 20+ years. 

People can ask whatever they want and people can pay whatever they want. It is up to both.  Oh, and some with gray don’t worry what it cost if they want to buy it. 

On 4/29/2021 at 7:48 PM, tboat said:

Had an interesting confrontation with a dealer today.  Found a 2021 GMC Sierra Denali I wanted to buy.  Negotiated the price with the dealer.  As we began to get everything together, I noticed an entry for "dealer add ons" about $1200.  I asked what it was about.  It was for undercoating, fabric protection, paint protection including a clay bar.  I told them I didn't want any of it even if it was free.  Who in the hell would clay bar a new vehicle.  I was told it wasn't optional.  They were charging it on all trucks.  He admitted it was just a way to make a few extra $$$.  Neither of us would back off so I didn't purchase it.  I refuse to be forced into buying something I don't want or even need.  Anybody else run into this situation?  

You're lucky you haven't been to the worst dealer. The worst dealer in America is a Ram dealer in Huntington Beach, CA. Mandatory markups of $5,000 over MSRP are required, plus an additional mandatory markup of $7,000 on dealer add-on accessories. Total $12,000 mandatory markup.

18 hours ago, waltchan said:

You're lucky you haven't been to the worst dealer. The worst dealer in America is a Ram dealer in Huntington Beach, CA. Mandatory markups of $5,000 over MSRP are required, plus an additional mandatory markup of $7,000 on dealer add-on accessories. Total $12,000 mandatory markup.

I would drive to Antarctica to buy a truck before I gave that dealer any $$.

• Thanks 1