dealer forced options

Dealer add on options, 72 month loan equates to .57 a day over the length of the loan.

if you could have negotiated it down to .28 a day would you have bought one of the nicest GM trucks on the road?

Sticker shock, even the small things destroy car deals. Way too many "green peas" that do not know how to sell a car, and sometimes the consumer getting distracted on something that can be overcome with just asking, rather than demanding a fair deal. 

I'd be telling the sales guy that his sleazy tactic of 'forced options' was 'forcing' me to find a truck somewhere else.  

After pointing out that what they were doing was no different than getting to the paperwork stage and then saying 'oh ya, we forgot to mention that it has a sunroof that will cost you extra' I'd thank him for his time on my way out. 

The vehicle market won't always be tight, and the current purchase isn't likely to be the only one. 

1 hour ago, redwngr said:

The vehicle market won't always be tight, and the current purchase isn't likely to be the only one. 

And there we have it. If the answer has to be NOW...then the answer is NO. The one  you're looking at isn't the only one out there and there is nothing special about today. People shop like children in a candy store. What do we think marketing is based on? 🤔 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

And there we have it. If the answer has to be NOW...then the answer is NO. The one  you're looking at isn't the only one out there and there is nothing special about today. People shop like children in a candy store. What do we think marketing is based on? 🤔 

Depends on how bad you need one. 😁

46 minutes ago, Gray Fox said:

Depends on how bad you need one. 😁

Loose your license for a few years and see if you wither. In fact this bunch growing up right now....don't own a car, don't want a car. Could care less about getting a license. I'll never need one bad enough to willfully submit to being cheated like this dealer tried to do to the OP. They will continue, however, as long as the guppies come to the chum.

P.T. Barnum, “No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else.” 

On 4/30/2021 at 9:55 AM, dsr611 said:

Compared to one I saw, that's a deal.

I was waiting on my daughter to finish up at basketball practice one night, and was just riding around looking at different new car lots.  Every vehicle at the local Dodge dealership (Dodge, Ram, Jeep, Chrysler) had nitrogen tire fill as a dealer option...price was $600 ($125/tire).

This is by far the biggest scam ever. If you have a Costco near you they have free nitrogen for members and they have the machines outside of the tire shop so no wait. IF you are inclined to want it that is.

• Like 1

I went through this when I purchased my 2021 RST at the end of February. Before I went to the dealership, I wrote out a budget for the purchase based on their advertised internet price. The dealer had a $999 add on protection package that was not listed on their website.  When the sales manager told me I had to pay it, I said that puts it over my budget. I then got up to leave. The sales manger then said we will take it off. I do not believe they would do that today.

Long story but when I bought my '19 truck I drove 500 miles to get it, when I saw it the dealer had added Ranch Hand bumpers front and rear from the Wednesday when I called about the truck until I got there at 7:00 am on Friday, I found salesman that I had been talking to, he said he didn't know they were going to add the $1600 bumpers until he saw them on it, I told him sorry but I don't like them and there is another identical truck 800 miles away that I was going to go buy!!!  He talked me into staying while they checked for the stock bumpers and to see how long it would take to put them back on.  Owner of dealer ship came by and started talking to me about what I wanted, I told him stock bumpers he went away came back in about 10 minutes said he would give me the Ranch Hand bumpers AND the stock bumpers that I could put on if I wanted to.  Made sure they took that item back off of the sales agreement and then we went to work to make a deal.

• Like 3

I order a steak medium. Cost is $20. Waiter takes the order. I wait 30 minutes. He serves me a $40 lobster and tells me I have to pay for it because this is all they really have. I get up to leave. He says "I'll call the law, you ordered a meal".

"I'll have a beer while you do that", and sit back down. (Bait and switch is illegal sports fans). I have shellfish allergy :crackup:

Couple of years ago a dealer advertised a price. Said nothing until we sat down to sign papers that the price was for certain qualifications no one could qualify for. (Also illegal). I got loud enough to clear the showroom of all prospective buyers calling him out on this deception. He offered to call the law. I told him I'd let him use my phone..... Got really quite in there. Then he offers to make good on the price and I refused. I'd never let a thief get a second shot as stealing from me. :wtf:

People...sales people....car sales people....:idiot:

Edited by Grumpy Bear

I’m a little amused at this thread. The way I read the op it was after negotiations he saw this charged item. I don’t read it as an after negotiations add on. I always bought deals. I didn’t complain about a surprise item after negotiations were completed. Oh gee I don’t want that spare tire, take it off or I’ll walk. So after the negotiations if it wasn’t on there he’d be ok? He got something he didn’t know about after the negotiations. I didn’t read it as an add on after the negotiations, like taxes. Funny thread.

IMO

You don't have to pay for anything you don't want. Telling me you have to buy it would be an instant blood boil. Not recommended. 

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

I’m a little amused at this thread. The way I read the op it was after negotiations he saw this charged item. I don’t read it as an after negotiations add on. I always bought deals. I didn’t complain about a surprise item after negotiations were completed. Oh gee I don’t want that spare tire, take it off or I’ll walk. So after the negotiations if it wasn’t on there he’d be ok? He got something he didn’t know about after the negotiations. I didn’t read it as an add on after the negotiations, like taxes. Funny thread.

I didn’t catch that the first time I read his post but good point. Maybe the charge was always there, but just not itemized until a purchase agreement was drafted?

Huge difference between that $1200 being in the negotiated price from the start, versus an additional $1200 just being tacked on after negotiations.

• Like 2

I traded often. I drove lots of miles. The last 20 years at one dealer. My first words to the sales person was show me the deals on 1/2 tons. I average 10K off MSRP. The more stuff I got the better. My choice was always to leave it and go to the more expensive deals. I based deals off sticker, not items.