dealer forced options

Had an interesting confrontation with a dealer today.  Found a 2021 GMC Sierra Denali I wanted to buy.  Negotiated the price with the dealer.  As we began to get everything together, I noticed an entry for "dealer add ons" about $1200.  I asked what it was about.  It was for undercoating, fabric protection, paint protection including a clay bar.  I told them I didn't want any of it even if it was free.  Who in the hell would clay bar a new vehicle.  I was told it wasn't optional.  They were charging it on all trucks.  He admitted it was just a way to make a few extra $$$.  Neither of us would back off so I didn't purchase it.  I refuse to be forced into buying something I don't want or even need.  Anybody else run into this situation?  

Unfortunately a pretty common trick. And I’m willing to bet in this market someone will walk in behind you and pay that markup. 

FWIW I clay bar all my new vehicles. Lots of rail dust and other embedded junk from shipping and storage. You’d be surprised how filthy the clay gets. And I bet it’s even worse now since some of these mostly finished trucks are sitting in storage lots for long periods of time waiting for parts. Anyway, you don’t want to just wax over all that crap.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

FWIW I clay bar all my new vehicles. Lots of rail dust and other embedded junk from shipping and storage. 

You ever try an iron remover?  I used to clay but with a clay bar, you are just dragging it through the paint/clear no matter how much ya apply lube....often needing a light polish afterwards. 

Been using IronX (there are competitors) for a couple years and I've had good results with spray it on.. let it sit.. rinse it off

This guy is pointing out Eagle One but gives you an idea how these work

Edited by Rob Mugs
  • Like 2

Dealer add-ons that they will not remove are not uncommon. Just depends on how bad you want the truck. If not you, the next person will come in and pay for them. Especially in this tight market. 

Person that owns 3 of the 4 new car lots in my town plus 4 more in a 15 mile radius adds $799 paint/interior protection on every vehicle. They will not even order one for you without it. To beat it all, they only warranty the protection for 12 months. If you want to buy from him, you take it. And considering he is one of the largest Chevrolet dealers in the state, a lot of people do. (Not me, the last 3 trucks I have bought have been at least 125 miles away to avoid add-ons.)

At least it didn’t have the biggest ripoff, $99 nitrogen tire fill. 

If you really like the truck, just consider it has a $1200 option on it that you would not have ordered, but for a lot vehicle you suck it up and take it anyway. Most people do that all the time. 

My 2 cents. 

10 hours ago, tboat said:

Had an interesting confrontation with a dealer today.  Found a 2021 GMC Sierra Denali I wanted to buy.  Negotiated the price with the dealer.  As we began to get everything together, I noticed an entry for "dealer add ons" about $1200.  I asked what it was about.  It was for undercoating, fabric protection, paint protection including a clay bar.  I told them I didn't want any of it even if it was free.  Who in the hell would clay bar a new vehicle.  I was told it wasn't optional.  They were charging it on all trucks.  He admitted it was just a way to make a few extra $$$.  Neither of us would back off so I didn't purchase it.  I refuse to be forced into buying something I don't want or even need.  Anybody else run into this situation?  

That sucks. Try another dealer, even out of state, may be worth the drive for $1200

I have seen that at the dealers as well.

Paint protection, Scotch-guard protection, nitrogen tire fill, window tint, vin etching, rubber door guards. And the worst was pin striping.

My Jeep Rubicon had a dealer markup, which I had to negotiate.

Edited by gregus73

I know the market is difficult now but it surprises me that a deal on a premium trim level truck could collapse on a $1200 add-on. I had a similar $1200 experience on my last truck which saw me standing up to leave twice.  To save face the sales manager found savings in other areas but I ended up feeling like I'd got the price I was willing to pay.  If the Denali is still available, and they haven't called you then your final overall offer was too low.  I'd go back and offer to meet them half way.  If that doesn't work try for the same in store credits.

1 hour ago, Gray Fox said:

At least it didn’t have the biggest ripoff, $99 nitrogen tire fill. 

Compared to one I saw, that's a deal.

I was waiting on my daughter to finish up at basketball practice one night, and was just riding around looking at different new car lots.  Every vehicle at the local Dodge dealership (Dodge, Ram, Jeep, Chrysler) had nitrogen tire fill as a dealer option...price was $600 ($125/tire).

Edited by dsr611
  • Haha 1

As I read this thread it read negotiated not negotiations. That would mean to me ready to buy. He then noticed an up charge. So if was negotiated instead of negotiating he got a good deal with the ad on. If I was happy with the price and noticed that up charge I’d want a guarantee. It looks cheap for the services rendered. I would have been thrilled.

2 hours ago, Gray Fox said:

If you really like the truck, just consider it has a $1200 option on it that you would not have ordered, but for a lot vehicle you suck it up and take it anyway. Most people do that all the time. 

If you are unwilling to set a hard boundary they wont be shy about taking advantage.

Greed is like a teenage boy.

Always hungry, never satisfied.

I can't change the practice. I can't change what others do. I can refuse to submit to it.  

For me its Low jack , the biggest mark ups. 

Sometimes up to 2k when the system it self is about 200-300 . Low inventory and demand make for a Sellers market and the dealers would be more than happy to rip you off . 

My 2016 Silverado had almost $5000 of add-ons, but they hadn't been installed yet, or if they had been, I wasn't charged for them.  The factory sticker was $52,430 the dealer sticker was over $57,000 and I was out the door for $36,622 plus $280 for title and two year registration.  The truck was brand new, with 12 miles on the odo, and I had no trade-in to obfuscate the true purchase price.

Jeep dealers also like to do this, but I special ordered mine and told them no add-ons.

3 hours ago, Donstar said:

If the Denali is still available, and they haven't called you then your final overall offer was too low.  I'd go back and offer to meet them half way.  If that doesn't work try for the same in store credits.

In today's seller's market I doubt he'll get that call.  It'll just go to the next person in line.  There are virtually no new trucks on any lots in my area.  I was looking at 3/4 and one ton HD models and the biggest dealer in the state had two 3/4 ton trucks and one one ton truck on their web site a week ago.  I'm guessing they were gone within minutes of being posted.  I just looked again and there are no 3/4 ton trucks in stock or in transit and two one ton trucks, both in transit.  The three from last week are all gone.