I'm looking in approximately two years to trade my 2015 Chevy suburban LT 5.3L for an Sierra 1500 With the Duramax 3.0L ( fuel economy) but does this engine can pull an 10,000 lbs camping trailer on 3000km road Trip including good Hills .

Thanks

If you're currently pulling that camper with your Suburban then props to you. Definitely not something that I would be doing. A 2500 gas will do it but the diesel will preform better in the mountains and most likely get better fuel mileage. 

Don't forget to factor in added fuel cost, maintenance cost and DEF. 

In my opinion, I would just get the gas engine to avoid these. I dont mind being a bit slow up the hills. 

yeah got to stay away from all the marketing where half tons can be configured to tow 10,000+ lbs. To tow comfortably and safely, thats 2500 territory and always will be. 

Dan

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just purchased a 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation X31 package this week.  I'll be towing a travel trailer with a WD hitch, but nothing above 6000 pounds when wet.  For that, a half ton is fine to be used split as a daily driver and tow vehicle, and the the 3.0l Duramax slots right in there.

Cheers.

Edited by camjr
  • Like 1