5th wheel puck system

Can anyone lend any advice on getting the puck system set up or installed on a 2020 3500HD gas that did NOT have the fifth wheel prep package from factory?  

I have a lot of experience with bumper pulls but nothing with 5th wheels.  Looking at trading up our camper to a small sized fifth wheel. 

I have LT package convienence packages if that helps at all.  My bed had a plastic liner in it covering the top part, but I dont recall seeing a puck system ready to go when I had it installed, pretty sure it was solid steel bed.

You can buy the parts for the hitch and drill holes in your bed if you want.  I probably would go the b and w route if I was going to add after the fact.

The hitch is only part of it.  Having the seven way trailer plug in the bed is nice to have instead of looping wiring over tailgate and plugging into bumper.  I know we have an option for trailer wiring in the bed without having the hitch.  Not sure what your trucks came with.

#iworkforGM 

Don't rule out getting the goose neck setup with the goose to 5th wheel adapter. Give you a lot more options and when you pull the 5th wheel adapter out of the bed its practically stock again no rails mounted in the truck. There's several options out there but the B&W looks to be the most HD option out there right now. Curt also makes a nice setup. Good luck and let us know which way you go. 

I’m interested in this as well. 

I know there are plenty of aftermarket options but I love the look of the factory puck system. With the shortage of trucks (chips) I had to give up the puck system just to get into something with other options I wanted. I just bought a 2021 2500.

Does the dealer do it, or is an aftermarket hitch the only option? 

15 hours ago, J.R. Garcia said:

I’m interested in this as well. 

I know there are plenty of aftermarket options but I love the look of the factory puck system. With the shortage of trucks (chips) I had to give up the puck system just to get into something with other options I wanted. I just bought a 2021 2500.

Does the dealer do it, or is an aftermarket hitch the only option? 

Yep, same here.  I did look around but at aftermarket but really like the OEM setup and wasn't available when I bought it.

• 2 weeks later...

You cannot add the puck system post-factory, unfortunately.  I decided to go with the curt under-bed gooseneck ball, paired with the andersen ultimate hitch for my fifthwheel.  If I did it again I might consider the reese goosebox.

You can have this installed by chevy dealers for fairly cheaper than just about any other option because it's got a standard labor book time:
https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/325k-gooseneck-hitch-with-under-bed-brackets-and-hardware-by-curt™-group-associated-accessories-19419344?year=2020&make=Chevrolet&model=Silverado 2500 HD&modelId=494&body=Extended Cab Pickup&bodyId=18&wheel=Standard Box&wheelId=400&trim=Custom&trimId=125&drive=RWD&driveId=7&engine=6.6L V8 GAS&engineId=17733&bodyNumDoors=5&categoryId=185505

On 5/27/2021 at 8:44 AM, 2020-2500 said:

I decided to go with the curt under-bed gooseneck ball, paired with the andersen ultimate hitch for my fifthwheel.  If I did it again I might consider the reese goosebox.

I have the AUH with the OEM puck/gooseneck ball. As much as I like the AUH, I have also second-guessed my purchase thinking I might consider the goosebox if I had it to do over (mostly due to the clean bed when unhooked). However, the people I travel with have traditional 5th wheel hitches. In a pinch, if I need my trailer towed by a buddy's truck, I'd be screwed and have to find someone with a gooseneck ball. With the AUH, all I have to do is remove the king pin adapter (two bolts and loosen the set screws).

• 8 months later...
On 5/8/2021 at 5:58 PM, greatmizzou said:

Can anyone lend any advice on getting the puck system set up or installed on a 2020 3500HD gas that did NOT have the fifth wheel prep package from factory?  

I have a lot of experience with bumper pulls but nothing with 5th wheels.  Looking at trading up our camper to a small sized fifth wheel. 

I have LT package convienence packages if that helps at all.  My bed had a plastic liner in it covering the top part, but I dont recall seeing a puck system ready to go when I had it installed, pretty sure it was solid steel bed.

Same here. Try this part oem part#84632891

On 5/27/2021 at 11:44 AM, 2020-2500 said:

You cannot add the puck system post-factory, unfortunately.  I decided to go with the curt under-bed gooseneck ball, paired with the andersen ultimate hitch for my fifthwheel.  If I did it again I might consider the reese goosebox.

You can have this installed by chevy dealers for fairly cheaper than just about any other option because it's got a standard labor book time:
https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/325k-gooseneck-hitch-with-under-bed-brackets-and-hardware-by-curt™-group-associated-accessories-19419344?year=2020&make=Chevrolet&model=Silverado 2500 HD&modelId=494&body=Extended Cab Pickup&bodyId=18&wheel=Standard Box&wheelId=400&trim=Custom&trimId=125&drive=RWD&driveId=7&engine=6.6L V8 GAS&engineId=17733&bodyNumDoors=5&categoryId=185505

I have the Reese goose box and love it!!! It frees up the bed and takes out weight. I will not go back to the standard 5th wheel hitch. 

On 5/11/2021 at 4:34 PM, MTU Alum said:

You can buy the parts for the hitch and drill holes in your bed if you want.  I probably would go the b and w route if I was going to add after the fact.

The hitch is only part of it.  Having the seven way trailer plug in the bed is nice to have instead of looping wiring over tailgate and plugging into bumper.  I know we have an option for trailer wiring in the bed without having the hitch.  Not sure what your trucks came with.

#iworkforGM 

You can get the wire harness from GM to put the 7 way in your box its pretty easy just like factory. It maintains the bumper 7 way too.