AT4 and 5th Wheel towing

My efforts to get a new Denali 3500 anywhere near where I will be living are proving futile. I am looking outside the area, but I wanted to ask about the AT4.

My main reason for wanting the Denali over the SLT is because of the bells and whistles. Mainly the technology. Camera systems, expanded digital dash, headsup display, etc. I see I can get this stuff with the AT4. But I will be towing a 5th wheel camper.

Are there any issues with bedrail height? I know the AT4 sits higher, would this be a concern?

I was looking at the AT4 myself before I had a hard time finding one and came across a 2500HD High Country. From my understanding, the 2500 and 3500 AT4's are not higher off the ground than any of the other ones. The 1500's are the only ones with the factory lift. You will be fine. Good luck!

I'm in the same situation upgraded from 2015 Chevy 1500 to 2500 HD AT4 GAS, loving it.

The bed height is something I'm concern with as I would be a 1st time buyer.

I was at the my local RC dealer the other week and noticed a last gen truck 2500 Crew GAS pulling Sandpiper C-Class and you can tell it was not level as he was pulling away.

Are you still looking at getting 3500 HD, do you know what payload you might get with that? My Current truck maximum is at 3165 lb.

Yea as others mentioned, the HD there is no height difference on the AT4, just on the 1500s.

There is some height difference however based on the wheel/tire combo, but not much.  maybe 1/2 inch at best.  An SLE/AT4/SLT/Denali with 18 inch wheels use a 33 inch tire, with 20 inch wheels they use a 34 inch tire.  So in reality, its pretty much a wash and the height will be the same.  

Edited by newdude

I went from a '16 2500hdSLT and it had that raked look where the rear was much higher than the front. On my "21 3500 HD AT4 it sits more level and I was able to lower my 5th wheel hitch on notch and still have great clearance. The longer bed also benefitted me with my Anderson hitch. Truck height overall is 1.5 inch taller but it seems the box is lower than on the previous truck. Only worries are with the full function tailgate I will have to get a special receiver ball if I want to to tow any bumper pulls and the drop down gate will hit unless you have a vey tight initial drop bar.

On 5/14/2021 at 6:49 AM, sweatandsteel said:

I was looking at the AT4 myself before I had a hard time finding one and came across a 2500HD High Country. From my understanding, the 2500 and 3500 AT4's are not higher off the ground than any of the other ones. The 1500's are the only ones with the factory lift. You will be fine. Good luck!

Awesome. I thought even on HDs it sat higher. This expands my search a bit!

On 5/14/2021 at 7:01 AM, jlaplaca said:

I'm in the same situation upgraded from 2015 Chevy 1500 to 2500 HD AT4 GAS, loving it.

The bed height is something I'm concern with as I would be a 1st time buyer.

I was at the my local RC dealer the other week and noticed a last gen truck 2500 Crew GAS pulling Sandpiper C-Class and you can tell it was not level as he was pulling away.

Are you still looking at getting 3500 HD, do you know what payload you might get with that? My Current truck maximum is at 3165 lb.

I am overseas at the moment so I am unable to go to a dealer to see payloads. I don’t know what they realistically are. 

19 hours ago, GMC4Zee said:

I went from a '16 2500hdSLT and it had that raked look where the rear was much higher than the front. On my "21 3500 HD AT4 it sits more level and I was able to lower my 5th wheel hitch on notch and still have great clearance. The longer bed also benefitted me with my Anderson hitch. Truck height overall is 1.5 inch taller but it seems the box is lower than on the previous truck. Only worries are with the full function tailgate I will have to get a special receiver ball if I want to to tow any bumper pulls and the drop down gate will hit unless you have a vey tight initial drop bar.

I am going with an Andersen hitch for sure!

21 hours ago, GMC4Zee said:

The longer "standard" bed does help in these new trucks. I have the Reese GooseBox and it works great. No worries about having a slider and conventional 5th wheel hitch, either. Good bed rail clearance as well.

9 hours ago, ShotgunZ71 said:

The longer "standard" bed does help in these new trucks. I have the Reese GooseBox and it works great. No worries about having a slider and conventional 5th wheel hitch, either. Good bed rail clearance as well.

I wish I could like the long bed. I just don't like the proportions of it. If this was strictly a tow vehicle, it wouldn't matter to me, but I will also be daily driving it.

1 hour ago, xETERNALx said:

I wish I could like the long bed. I just don't like the proportions of it. If this was strictly a tow vehicle, it wouldn't matter to me, but I will also be daily driving it.

No, I mean the longer standard bed. It's now 6'9", whereas the pre-2020 was 6'6". The long bed is still 8'.

2 hours ago, ShotgunZ71 said:

No, I mean the longer standard bed. It's now 6'9", whereas the pre-2020 was 6'6". The long bed is still 8'.

Gotcha. I misread it. Thats good to hear because I have heard it can be a tight fit.

• Like 1