Converting gas to electric

On 7/6/2021 at 7:35 AM, Donstar said:

The proliferation of EV's in my region is strongly influencing my next vehicle choice.  I have kept my last few trucks for over 6 years each.  I think buying a new gas powered truck will be of minimal resale value after a few years due to the rapidly declining demand for gas power.  My current (pun?) '15 Sierra is in pristine condition and has every feature I would want in a new truck.  I decided to google the idea of a powertrain swap and my first hit discovered that GM is looking to target others thinking the same way in the form of a "eCrate" conversion package.   https://insideevs.com/news/451509/gm-preview-all-electric-1977-k5-blazer-sema360/    I appreciate that there is a range of acceptance of EV's and I'm particularly interested in hearing from those seriously considering the switch soon.  The interest in the F150 Lightening tells me that an all electric Sierra/Silverado will soon add to my options!

Have you talked to anyone that owns a Tesla in Canada? I have.

Actually that's a lie. I've talked to someone who has talked to someone who owns a Tesla. Lol. Bottom line, batteries do not like the cold; or extreme heat for that matter. Mileage drops on a massive scale, it wont start, or it will leave you stranded. With extreme heat you'll just blow up. But I think with major auto manufacturers such as GM, the computer will just lock you out and say you can't drive it.   

Edited by M1ck3y

On 7/8/2021 at 7:33 AM, KARNUT said:

If gas gets expensive or short supply I can drive something different or stay home

Exactly, this is where I began this topic.  Our gas prices are high and fluctuating but will continue on a a steep climb. We  think we're getting a good deal when we go back to under $6. for a gal(US) of gas!    I don't want my next vehicle to be a panic purchase.  I am confident that in the long term we'll have a greater chance of filling our electrical grids than our pipelines.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, M1ck3y said:

Have you talked to anyone that owns a Tesla in Canada? 

Yes but not about the weather.   Tesla's are very common here and I see them at all times of the year.  Some brands of EV's are much harder to spot but our weather doesn't appear to discourage sales!

GM Warns 50,000 Chevy Bolt Owners To Park Their Cars Outdoors Due To Fire Risk: News - The Fast Lane Car (tflcar.com)

I dont know... I like the prospect of green fuel. Porsche is working on it. Probably super expensive and impossible to produce in large enough quantities but you get a big octane boost and significantly less emissions then current fuel.

Here in Alberta most of our electrical supply is based on coal and some natural gas. So technically I wouldn't even be doing anything for the environment until I drive an absurd number of miles.

There's a lot of articles out there for and against electric vehicles. Some say electric is on par with ice vehicles after roughly 13000 miles. Some say it takes 160000 miles. There's so many variables, between electrical supply, battery size, type of vehicle etc. Electric doesn't mean better, it means maybe better. Bottom line, they aren't going to save the planet. They're certainly advertised that way though.

So whats really taking place then?

Two days ago I was in London Drugs and they had a selection of electric bikes on display.  These are so popular, they're being sold in a Drugstore!  Now I notice we have a proliferation of bicycles on the road that riders aren't peddling!  The growth  is happening with EV's whether or not we agree with this use of electricity.  The are businesses offering conversion to electric power for fleets or antique vehicles.  Has any reader here pursued such a conversion for our daily drivers?

• Like 1