Converting gas to electric

The proliferation of EV's in my region is strongly influencing my next vehicle choice.  I have kept my last few trucks for over 6 years each.  I think buying a new gas powered truck will be of minimal resale value after a few years due to the rapidly declining demand for gas power.  My current (pun?) '15 Sierra is in pristine condition and has every feature I would want in a new truck.  I decided to google the idea of a powertrain swap and my first hit discovered that GM is looking to target others thinking the same way in the form of a "eCrate" conversion package.   https://insideevs.com/news/451509/gm-preview-all-electric-1977-k5-blazer-sema360/    I appreciate that there is a range of acceptance of EV's and I'm particularly interested in hearing from those seriously considering the switch soon.  The interest in the F150 Lightening tells me that an all electric Sierra/Silverado will soon add to my options!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Donstar said:

The proliferation of EV's in my region is strongly influencing my next vehicle choice.  I have kept my last few trucks for over 6 years each.  I think buying a new gas powered truck will be of minimal resale value after a few years due to the rapidly declining demand for gas power.  My current (pun?) '15 Sierra is in pristine condition and has every feature I would want in a new truck.  I decided to google the idea of a powertrain swap and my first hit discovered that GM is looking to target others thinking the same way in the form of a "eCrate" conversion package.   https://insideevs.com/news/451509/gm-preview-all-electric-1977-k5-blazer-sema360/    I appreciate that there is a range of acceptance of EV's and I'm particularly interested in hearing from those seriously considering the switch soon.  The interest in the F150 Lightening tells me that an all electric Sierra/Silverado will soon add to my options!

If I bought an electric truck I would bolt a small gas powered generator in the bed. Eliminating range worries. The next and some areas current problem is the plants that provide the energy.  Some pollute worse than the vehicles they’re replacing. Can’t handle current demands. Reminds me of happenings in my area. New communities popping up all over. Not much changing in the roads around. I popped out during the morning commute towards town. I wouldn’t make that mistake again. 

I know there are concerns about switching our gas dependence  to electricity.   I just went through the most significant weather event of my adult life with connections made to human activity and I want to do something.  Whether (pun?) we believe in climate change or not, doing nothing won't help!  The news last night was highlighting increased sales in ebikes as a response to soaring fuel prices!  I believe there is a tremendous opportunity for automotive gas to electric conversion businesses!  Many of us can't or don't want to switch to electric bikes and scooters!

• Like 1

I would have loved to have had an electric bike when I was pedaling around in my youth. Mom didn’t drive us around. We took the bus to school. If it was mandatory to be taken by bus to school that alone would lower pollutants. Savings gas would be the byproduct. Just the extra driving our kids around to activities has increased many times over. From my youth. When I was growing up between chores and homework the night was shot. My son has two boys and a girl. There’s something going on every night. There usually not home before 9. It’s no wonder people don’t know how to work. All they ever knew was playing. We were well on our way to super efficient cars. Then the manufacturers realize the profits in trucks and SUVs. And targeted the masses in that direction. Of course after the last election fuel efficiency is going to come back. With the price of gas. Then the following increases coming along. I have a suspicion that electric power may end up like satellite radio. A novelty. The support very expensive. Just when it was about to get going. You have Pandora, I-heart etc. More efficient fuel burning and hybrid vehicles will dominate. Full electric no so much.

• Like 1

Counterpoint on the resale value.

ICE powered vehicles (gas and diesel) will hold and possibly climb in value as EVs start growing in numbers.  I think trucks and sports/super cars will see price rise in the next 5-10 years the most. 

Its the EVs that have no resale value.  Twenty thousand mile off lease 2017-2018 Chevy Bolts are selling used for $12,000-$15,000.  Those cars stickered for over $37,000 when new.  Even now with GM dropping $10,000 on the hoods of them, they won't be worth squat second hand and can be had cheap.  Which is both good and bad.  There will be a flood of low cost used EVs, however as they age, they will run into expensive repair needs, especially if the battery warranty expires.  

Also back on the demand/value.  The governments are the ones with the "demand" for EV.  The consumer base has a long way to go to actually represent the "demand" that's being "created".  Corporations are behind a lot of the purchases of EVs like Fedex, Amazon and UPS for EV delivery vans (aka big money).  And then you've got the feds just handing out "incentives" and "subsidies" for all of it.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, newdude said:

Twenty thousand mile off lease 2017-2018 Chevy Bolts are selling used for $12,000-$15,000.  Those cars stickered for over $37,000 when new.  Even now with GM dropping $10,000 on the hoods of them, they won't be worth squat second hand and can be had cheap. 

That's going to happen when the cars have a tendency to spontaneously burst into flames.

Edited by Salsa De Piña

Good points.  I live in an area where the growth of the EV market is significant yet discrete.  Many of our malls and major stores have rows of parking spaces with charging stations.  Most of the vehicles I see plugged in at these places are a surprise.  Many popular car brands and body types are represented!  BTW We are now paying close to $7 for the equivalent of a US gallon of gas which is a major factor in my considerations.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Good points.  I live in an area where the growth of the EV market is significant yet discrete.  Many of our malls and major stores have rows of parking spaces with charging stations.  Most of the vehicles I see plugged in at these places are a surprise.  Many popular car brands and body types are represented!  BTW We are now paying close to $7 for the equivalent of a US gallon of gas which is a major factor in my considerations.

I wonder how much reserve electric power Canada has before it becomes a cold winter. Or the cars don’t move. California is already in trouble. Even Texas had a warning this past winter. Let’s take our time and get it right. I remember not too long ago solar was pushed by one administration, billions we’re lost. This one is trying to kill petroleum. Lessons are never learned. People are mostly up for anything as long as the price is right and it ain’t forced. Our government’s don’t seem to mind making a mistake and losing money. Our money. Us regular folks don’t get a lot of bites at that Apple.

I think that you will see a trend towards hydrogen fuel development and infrastructure over the next 5 years. Some of the major oil companies are already doing the R&D for this. Unfortunately, this also requires increases in the electric grid to manufacture the hydrogen, but, is more efficient than solar or wind and the proper infrastructure will get rid of the range limitations. Off hour wind farms can be used to create the hydrogen, i.e. at night and storage technologies are slowly being developed.

• Like 1

You’d never see the pay back converting your newish truck to electric. I’ll keep electricity for my power tools lightbulbs; every time I hop in a vehicle I drive 400 miles or more, so gasoline is it. When the grid fails, or power is out due to storms, i won’t be left SOL; with points on some of my vehicles, they’ll always run regardless of the grid or EMP blast. Until production, distribution and reliability of electricity is drastically elevated, Id think twice about putting all eggs in that basket. My power went out twice in the last week for a day each time due to storms, which won’t be getting better. JMO. 

12 hours ago, 16LT4 said:

You’d never see the pay back converting your newish truck to electric. I’ll keep electricity for my power tools lightbulbs; every time I hop in a vehicle I drive 400 miles or more, so gasoline is it. When the grid fails, or power is out due to storms, i won’t be left SOL; with points on some of my vehicles, they’ll always run regardless of the grid or EMP blast. Until production, distribution and reliability of electricity is drastically elevated, Id think twice about putting all eggs in that basket. My power went out twice in the last week for a day each time due to storms, which won’t be getting better. JMO. 

Of course time will ultimately judge  if or when a conversion is worthwhile.   Fuel is the biggest drain on my entertainment budget because I love to drive!    The issues of range and development will continue to improve.  Waiting for the perfect time to switch from gas to electric reminds me of computer shopping in the 1990's.  A faster more efficient version would be available by the time you were able to unbox your new purchase.  To add to this analogy I remember sitting with a group of peers early in the years of computers who were adamant that a personal computer is a passing phase. The novelty of staring at a screen will pass quickly!

• Like 1

On the issue of gas and electricity supply, my perspective is I feel more in control of my electrical consumption than gas.  My driving habits have fuel savings at top of mind while still enjoying my truck.  There is more I could do but such steps would involve my truck staying in the driveway.  I'd rather add wait time to my "fill-up" process than further reduce my driving time.   If I had a plug-in at home vehicle, I can still find ways to reduce my home electrical use to compensate for the extra demands of vehicle charging.  I appreciate people are concerned about future strain on power but gas shortages are also a threat.  Many of us have experienced periods of gas shortages.  As Karnut suggested, we can always have a generator on hand to charge our cars and power our coffee makers!  You can't plug in your gas dependent vehicle if your local stations are out of fuel! 😉 

• Like 1

Lots of my driving is by choice. If gas gets expensive or short supply I can drive something different or stay home. ( that’s a administration issue more that a short supply issue.) My electric use is more for comfort and living. I can regulate my gas use easier than my electric use. I can use different fuels too. The problem is it’s the same the electric co uses. The alternative coal is dirty. Nuke power loss favor. The one that makes the most sense. A movie a Russian accident and Japan rendered nuke to non favor. We have plenty of fossil fuels it powers everything. Nuke is the answer. Are we smart enough to use it yet?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

Aren't they already having issues in California because so many electric cars charging is taxing the power grid?

Cart before the horse.

Not currently, pun unintended.
And, plans are in place to prepare for the future.
https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-10-01/california-electricity-evs

• Like 1