Help with torsionbars

1 hour ago, MTU Alum said:

2500 diesel crew cab runs 5600 FGAWR. 

Got it.  Once MTU has blessed the data as correct I would be happy to provide the simple Excel file to anyone that wants it.  In Excel it can be updated to include any other formatting and/or information you want.  Just PM me your email address.

image.thumb.png.e9a4dc1f8468209aef79a93584de7a2b.png

Edited by 03 Cobra

On 8/16/2021 at 10:35 AM, doidera00 said:

Hi i have a 2021 sierra 3500 4x4 diesel with the snow prep package. My truck rides really stiff and im used to drive hd truck even though ive never owned one before. My friends f350 rides so much softer than mine. Anyways i wanted to soften the from suspension a little. Its hard to find info on torsion bars. From my understanding the snowprep package comes with heavier torsion bars. The part number on it for left side is 84745489. When i put that on gmc parts it says its for a 2wd truck. Weird. Wanted to know if anyone knows if the torsion bars for the 3500 and the 2500 was the same. Cognito make a softer rate torsion bar but its for all trucks 2500 and 3500 gas and diesel. Im afraid if i change to that it might be too soft. Now if the 3500 and the 2500 has different rates maybe i could go down to a 2500 spring rate. 

any help is appreciated. 

Might not want to change anything until you determine the static spring rate.

19 hours ago, MTU Alum said:

4400 FGAWR 84745473/5

4800 FGAWR 84745477/9

5200 FGAWR 84745481/3

5600 FGAWR 84745485/7

6000 FGAWR 84745489/91

In general, diesel crew cab sb 4wd are 5600 FGAWR and gas crew cab sb 4wd are 4800 FGAWR without heavy front or snow plow options.

If you have any other models, I can look up when I have time.  

#iworkforGM 

mine is the 6000. i looked at teh sticker that is on the torsion bar. mine came factory with teh snow plow prep

19 hours ago, 03 Cobra said:

Looking at what MTU just posted and comparing to your part number you have the baddest bad boy of the bunch!  6k lbs!  Guess when they combine the heavy diesel and the snow plow prep you deserve the best!  All kidding aside, and not trying to insult your intelligence at all, have you checked the air pressure in your front tires?  Maybe it's crazy high from the dealership.  Even if its not too high try turning it down to 45 or 50 or something like that.  It will make a noticeable difference.  I have a '15 2500HD with the snow plow prep and the ride is entirely different at 60 vs 50 psi in front.  I might take a little hit to the mpg but I don't care.  I adjust mine back up when towing my camper but for daily driving I adjust the front and rears down and it turns it into a different truck.  Give it a shot if you haven't yet.

i have the pressure set to 50F 70R.  i dont want to go any lower because it might set of the TPS light

4 minutes ago, doidera00 said:

if i was to go down to a 5200, do you know if that would be a bad thing.  i dont really tow that much.  sometimes i tow my camper that weighs around 11000 lbs

Just as an FYI when unloaded I run with the rears at 60 and the fronts at 50 or 55 and never see a light.  Also I have the 5200 lbs front springs (snow plow prep) and do tow a travel trailer 8k - 10k lbs with a weight distribution hitch (puts weight on the front end of the truck) and it tows just fine.  Personally I wouldn't switch to lower springs even if someone gave them to me just because it wouldn't be worth the effort meaning the 5200s are fine.  As long as they fit I don't see why it would be a problem.

10 minutes ago, 03 Cobra said:

Just as an FYI when unloaded I run with the rears at 60 and the fronts at 50 or 55 and never see a light.  Also I have the 5200 lbs front springs (snow plow prep) and do tow a travel trailer 8k - 10k lbs with a weight distribution hitch (puts weight on the front end of the truck) and it tows just fine.  Personally I wouldn't switch to lower springs even if someone gave them to me just because it wouldn't be worth the effort meaning the 5200s are fine.  As long as they fit I don't see why it would be a problem.

i wanted to change from the 6000 to either the 5600 or the 5200 because my front end is just too stiff.  i know i bought a sierra 3500 but i never really carry weight on it.  i just bought it because i like the truck and maybe one day i wanted to delete and tune and in my state you dont need emissions on a 3500 but you do on a 2500

On 8/19/2021 at 8:14 AM, 03 Cobra said:

Got it.  Once MTU has blessed the data as correct I would be happy to provide the simple Excel file to anyone that wants it.  In Excel it can be updated to include any other formatting and/or information you want.  Just PM me your email address.

image.thumb.png.e9a4dc1f8468209aef79a93584de7a2b.png

This looks correct from 2020 to the mid cycle.

#iworkforGM 

On 8/19/2021 at 12:15 PM, doidera00 said:

if i was to go down to a 5200, do you know if that would be a bad thing.  i dont really tow that much.  sometimes i tow my camper that weighs around 11000 lbs

The problem with going down to 5200 is it may not trim properly.  You may not have enough adjustability in torsion bar adjuster based on your front axle weight.  

#iworkforGM 

• 2 weeks later...

How long have you been driving the truck? I don't think the truck comes into its own until at least 5000 miles. MPG/Shifting/Handling, etc.  There's no way my father in laws 2019 long bed cc f350 diesel rides better than my 20 gas cc 2500 with plow prep. My tires are between 55 and 60 depending on temp. Bad Michigan roads will raise your awareness level of what your driving (well, except maybe not Subaru drivers). Expansion joints are bearable in this truck. Same with pot holes and patches, though 20" wheels also help with the potholes compared to 17". Been down the same washboard dirt roads in mine as in the Ford above, and my older cc 1500 and this one is the most bearable. This 20 with the tighter front ends also holds linea better in a curve than my 1500. My only issue is a reduced turning radius than my older truck, for parking my 25' boat in the back yard. But just a couple more back ups and it's done. Made up the time with the back up camera to hook it up, though. Diesel plow prep is only 400lbs more, but that's probably negated by the additional engine and transmission weights.