How many fuel pumps will this engine eat?

I bought my 2500 Custom in August 2020; and love the truck it has everything I want and nothing I don't, but I'm loosing faith in it. About 4 months after owning it, it left me stranded. It would turn over but not start, oddly enough it didn't throw a code; I called my dealer and they didn't know where to start without a code, so I figured it's under warranty so once I got it started I'd run it like some anomaly and surely it wouldn't happen again. But I was WRONG! After being stranded (delayed) 3 more times it finally threw a code, (August 2021) I got it read at a local parts house cause the Chevy house want $150. The codes were P12A6 (fuel pump driver control module) and P00C6 (fuel rail pressure low during engine cranking), I called my dealer and they said yes they are having problems with the fuel pumps. I took it in at the beginning of September 2021 they "fixed" the fuel pump and the truck ran great! Today is September 30, 2021, yesterday, the 29th, it left me stranded again. I got it started and headed straight to the parts house, and again the code reader said it was P12A6 (fuel pump driver control module), back to the dealer on Friday. 

Is anyone else's 6.6 gasser eating fuel pumps?

Find another dealer.  They shouldn't be charging you a $150 diagnostic on a warranty ticket.  Fuel pump issues sometimes don't throw a code, but a sharp tech. can often figure it out by looking at fuel trim.  The fuel pump and fuel pump driver module are 2 different parts.  Which one are they replacing and why?  GM fuel pumps have actually been very good for the last 15 or so years, I see few fail in trucks and SUV's.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So did the dealer find the bulletin on the reprogramming of the ECM for that code?  Also, why are they replacing the fuel pump?  That code is for the fuel pump driver control module.  

DTC P12A6

Fuel Pump Driver Control Module Enable Circuit Performance

#20-NA-218: Possible Crank No Start or Extended Crank with DTC P12A6 - (Sep 1, 2021)

Involved Region or Country

North America, Europe, Uzbekistan, Russia, Middle East, Palestine, Israel, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Uruguay, Argentina, Japan, Thailand, GM Korea Company, Cadillac Korea (South Korea), Australia/New Zealand, Egypt, Other Africa

Condition

Some customers may comment on a possible crank no start or extended crank.

Technicians may find DTC P12A6 set current or in recent history. This could be accompanied with a crank no start or extended crank issue and additional DTCs P00C6, P00F4, P0098, P2199 and/or P0096.

Cause

The cause of the condition may be a software anomaly in the Engine Control Module (ECM).

Correction

Reprogram the ECM.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a 2020 6.6 gasser and at 61k miles I started getting a P018b Fuel pressure sensor b circuit range/performance, also P0446 Evap emission system vent control circuit, also P2635 Fuel pump a low flow/ performance. I resolved the Evap code by blowing a ton of dirt out of the charcoal canister(I work in oilfield, pretty dusty environment). At idle fuel pressure shows to be 38 ish pounds, under load drops to 28 ish and then comes back up. Rail pressure seems

to follow the commanded pressure pretty decent, but low side fuel pressure sensor while showing the 38 pounds shows 0v and it never changes. Took to dealer twice to be checked out and both times I was not able to get it looked at by a tech for various reasons.