2019 Sierra POS Infotainment Issues

First, nice job on editing "millennial rant" after your original post.  I don't think the case is closed, because you don't like to use the technology that the truck came with.  I like being able to see the navigation on the screen and also being able to select the playlist on the fly from Spotify without looking down at my phone.  

Wow! Clearly you have issues with Millennials, did one of them offend you in some way?  Why would I buy Sirius if I already have a Spotify subscription?  Why in the F would I use an atlas when I have something called WAZE, that gets me to my destination faster due to an amazing technological algorithm? Dude, you make zero sense in any of your logic.  

I make perfect sense. You obviously don’t comprehend. Actually I do, because “most” think they are entitled little $h!ts who think everything should be given to them. Heck a recent study was made stating that millennials believe they shouldn’t accept any job that doesn’t pay them 6 figures. Ridiculous! 

and you ranting about GM buying back your truck because of Apple CarPlay is just that. Ridiculous. 

14 hours ago, TNTSilverado said:

I’m not reading text while driving. I see that a text goes through by the vibration of my watch and see that my watch lights up!  Then I give them a call totally different MAN! 
So because I can afford a smart watch and choose to Bluetooth my phone I’m a hypocrite. Get out of here.  Plus I don’t need CarPlay because if you’re smart enough.  Which you obviously aren’t. You can run navigation through your phone via Bluetooth.  It all goes through the radio telling you where to turn. Or like My truck came with navigation and I use that also.  Case closed. Anything else you’d like to debate. 

Evidently you are the smartest person here. At least in your mind. 

• Like 1

So first I'm ignoring all the BS here in this post -

I have had this same issue since I bought my truck a year and a half ago.  Had radio replaced and updates done, none of it worked.  I have just learned to live with it, thankfully it doesn't occur but every now and then.

Additionally, I have an "unfixable" issue with the backup camera.  When in use it is very apparant that the gridlines are not centered.  Not really an issue when backing up except when you are using it to align a hitch ball to a trailer.  The line being off center is a pain in the butt.

I can relate to the frustration of over technical electronics. I have two otherwise very reliable vehicles. With the exception of the backup camera radio nonsense. One thing I can count on is my IPhone. So to avoid the frustration I use it exclusively across my 4 vehicles. My music, GPS through Bluetooth always works even if the USB port doesn’t. I have my mounts on the left up by the window so it’s easier to just glance over while still looking ahead. The GPS is always live and avoids traffic hazards. My Pandora, prime and iHeartRadio keeps me from boredom. Backup cameras are of little use to me for accuracy, I may give it a glance. I don’t stay up at night worrying about my vehicle being perfect anymore. There’s just too much to go wrong anymore. As long as the AC works and it doesn’t kill me, it can wait until the next scheduled service.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phantom 4D said:

Evidently you are the smartest person here. At least in your mind. 

I never stated I was, I do have 2 masters degrees that I worked hard for, and paid for by myself. Crazy isn’t it!  Hard work pays off. 

But ranting about Apple CarPlay and wanting GM to buy back the truck is complete ignorance. Also, maybe it isn’t GM, ever think it could be an Apple issue!! 

1 hour ago, TNTSilverado said:

I never stated I was, I do have 2 masters degrees that I worked hard for, and paid for by myself. Crazy isn’t it!  Hard work pays off. 

But ranting about Apple CarPlay and wanting GM to buy back the truck is complete ignorance. Also, maybe it isn’t GM, ever think it could be an Apple issue!! 

Look man, plain and simple I would have not bought the truck if it didn't have functioning CarPlay as it is something important to me, just like I am sure there are features on your truck that are important to you.  Everyone is different and have different needs, there is no reason to put someone down because they have different priorities than you.   I spend a lot of time on my phone in my truck and CarPlay has made business far more productive while driving along with providing a safer experience.  

GM has admitted that this is an issue on their end and not one on Apple and that they currently do not have a fix for it.  

1 hour ago, TNTSilverado said:

Well, congratulations. I too have degrees. I'll stop here. No need to get into a pissing contest over education.

4 hours ago, CT Chevy Connoisseur said:

So first I'm ignoring all the BS here in this post -

I have had this same issue since I bought my truck a year and a half ago.  Had radio replaced and updates done, none of it worked.  I have just learned to live with it, thankfully it doesn't occur but every now and then.

Additionally, I have an "unfixable" issue with the backup camera.  When in use it is very apparant that the gridlines are not centered.  Not really an issue when backing up except when you are using it to align a hitch ball to a trailer.  The line being off center is a pain in the butt.

A big part of the problem, as I see it, is not the electronics themselves, it's the lack of ability on the technicians part to diagnose and repair. Dealerships are quick to point out that their technicians are GM or Ford or...trained. That may be. But not factory trained. Most are trained thru local community college automotive programs supported by the manufacturer. The CC here "trains" GM techs. Vehicle electronics is evolving at a fast pace. And it the techs are not receiving on going training and supplied with the needed tools, the problem continues. And of course the resistance by the manufacturer and dealerships to honor the warranty. Warranty work is lost profit to the dealership more so than the manufacturer. I do hope you get your problems resolved. 

4 hours ago, Brad Viernow said:

Look man, plain and simple I would have not bought the truck if it didn't have functioning CarPlay as it is something important to me, just like I am sure there are features on your truck that are important to you.  Everyone is different and have different needs, there is no reason to put someone down because they have different priorities than you.   I spend a lot of time on my phone in my truck and CarPlay has made business far more productive while driving along with providing a safer experience.  

GM has admitted that this is an issue on their end and not one on Apple and that they currently do not have a fix for it.  

Brad, which radio system do you have  - IOS or IOT?  I had the IOT in my 2019 Silverado, and had all sorts of CarPlay issues.  In 2020, when they added wireless CarPlay and the display enhancements, they also added memory to the processor.  My 2021 IOT radio has nowhere near the radio issues (It sometimes takes longer than I want to index the songs, but it connects and functions).  My story is similar to yours, in that I ended up trading the 2019 for the 2021 because of the early build gremlins, I was able to take advantage of the crazy trade prices last spring.  

I highly suspect the 2019 radios did not have enough on board processing power and memory to run the software - and that the only fix is going to be exchange the radio for a newer version, but thats not as simple as just swapping the radio, as the cameras and other connections were different in 2019 than 2020 and up.  They pushed out an infotainment and electronics system that was not quite ready for prime time, and have since fixed it - but not retroactively to the older units.  If you are ready to give up on GM, https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/product/silverado-sierra-wireless-car-play-android-auto-navigation-and-hd-radio-upgrade/  might be  place to start.

Those of you criticizing "millennials" just don't get it...and that's OK.   You use your stuff differently and what's important to others isn't important to you and what's important to you may not be important to others.  There isn't any need to get angry about it.  Just accept that their usage is different and their needs are different.

That said, the comments are blatant stereo types i.e. if you care about carplay you must be a millennial.  Not so.  I'm 60 and it matters to me a lot, though I'm using android auto (same idea).  When I bought my 21 Sierra, I deliberately bought it without navigation, saving some money in the process. 

Why?  Well:

1.  Google's (and Apple's) voice recognition features are lightyears better than any car manufacturer. 

2. The phone has its own internet connection and associated search features, meaning the NAV finds nearly any place I want to go, without having to pay for an internet connection for the truck.

3.  I can use services like Pandora and other music apps through the phone, again with no need for the truck to have its own connection.  I don't have to touch any buttons, once again since the voice recognition is so good.

4.  This is the BIG one.  I plan to keep my truck for a long time as I do most vehicles.  During that time, whatever electronics that came with the truck will rapidly become out of date.  But I replace my phone about every three years...at least twice as often as the vehical, so as long as Android Auto (or carplay for Apple people) keeps working I'm good.  Example:  I've also got a 2014 Corvette with the top of the line tech package for its year.  It was really nice tech at the time but now its slow, cumbersome and I dread using it.  Also, Chevy gets $100 each time I want to update the maps in the Nav system (if I wait for a sale).  Google maps on my phone is always up to date.  In another example, after seeing how Android Auto works in my truck, my wife is seriously thinking of trading in her 2017 Infiniti just to get that feature.

So even for many of us 60+ people (not just millennials) Android Auto/Apple Carplay is a critical feature.  I would not buy a vehical that doesn't have it and I'd be really, really mad if I bought a vehical that's supposed to have it and it didn't work.  I would be the nightmare customer for that dealership.  

And hey, if you want to be "old school" that's perfectly fine by me.  Just move along, nothing to see here...for you.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bwoodsmn said:

I highly suspect the 2019 radios did not have enough on board processing power and memory to run the software - and that the only fix is going to be exchange the radio for a newer version...

Before my 21 Sierra I had a 2019 Canyon (had to trade it because I needed greater towing capabilities).  I think (but I'm not sure) that what I had in the Canyon was the same as the Sierra???  Wired Android Auto worked great in the Canyon.  I can't vouch for Carplay as I don't use Apple products.