3.0 Duramax with crank no start

I experienced the dreaded crank no start. Truck timed out, but then started right up on second try. 

Drove straight over to GMC dealer, found ECM update regarding crank no start. Have no experienced it again, but it does crank longer by default now.

Just thought I would share for others that have read about the bent crank wheel issue some are experiencing. If this resolves it and no other symptoms come from it, I'm happy with this resolution. I just could NOT get on board with a cab-off surgery on such a new truck.

On 10/23/2021 at 9:32 AM, redwngr said:

There is pages of discussion about this in the HD section.

(I'm not sure why the mods didn't move it to this section  -- since the engine is not used in the HD pickups)

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/248499-30-duramax-cranks-but-won’t-start/page/31/

• 3 weeks later...

Had mine reflashed earlier this month for Crank No Start issue, 2021 RST 3.0 liter,  9000 miles, had happened 9 times to date. Reflashed on 11/5/21, all good so far fingers crossed. Have noticed that my engine cranks a half second longer on all start ups now, no biggie, sounds normal, just not that instant startup as before re-flash, Would like to know what the reflash has changed? 

But all good now. 

• 1 month later...

I had mine flashed on Wednesday only had one time long crank no start. If this ECM upgrade takes care of it I’m satisfied. As I understand the tolerances on the sensor to pick up the fly wheel was broadened slightly. Does take just a little longer to start but now comparable to my 2020 Tahoe with a 53 engine. Hope this is all it takes🤞

Yes I agree. It did fix my crank no start 100% and like "Donald Y" stated the start / stop time crank time is still the same as always. Just the push button crank time extended maybe 1/2 sec, no big deal but yes would love to know what they did did to make the no start go away? Maybe one day or maybe after model year fully over they will release another flash that will make both go away. 

I must say it was always impressive how fast it started, but i never notice since I installed "Start Stop Eleminator kit"  Its the best!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Have had crank no start 5 times since11/15/21, just turned over 10K miles. Had it happen twice in one day, took it in had the ECM re-flashed 1/17/22. Had crank no start again 2/5/22, returned to dealer, it's still there and they can't get it to fail. GM told them to replace ECM, now to see how long it takes to get that.

My dealer said they are working on another update, but last I heard it still wasn't available. If they can make it start as fast as it used to that would be nice. But it hasn't failed me since first software update 10-18-2022.

• 2 months later...

I spoke with GMC customer assistance. She checked with Svc. Engineering who stated that they were aware of the extended crank time after the ECM has been flashed and that they are working on a resolution for another flash update.  We are to stay in contact with the dealership Sbc

Dept. For the next update.  No time line given.  At the dealer today and they will check for a revised flash.  

DY

1 hour ago, Donald Yoakem said:

I spoke with GMC customer assistance. She checked with Svc. Engineering who stated that they were aware of the extended crank time after the ECM has been flashed and that they are working on a resolution for another flash update.  We are to stay in contact with the dealership Sbc

Dept. For the next update.  No time line given.  At the dealer today and they will check for a revised flash.  

DY

No word online that it’s been revised yet. 

I just had the reflash done a week ago and the bulletin was still rev B. Truck cranks twice as long as it used to.