cleaning exhaust with baked on mud

If you get it wet and keep it wet, it will soften up.  You'll need to remove the wheel well liner to gain access to the down pipe and anything else that needs cleaning.  Once the mud is softened, you can scrub it with a stiff brush to remove the heavy stuff.  I wouldn't use a wire brush because there are wires in the area.  A household spray cleaner should work well on any residue once the thick stuff is gone.  Best of luck with it.

Spending most of my working life on ROWs I encountered mud daily. With the exception of the tips my pipes were out of sight. They were self cleaning with the heat cycle and when it rains. The car washes I used sprayed underneath too. Never had to do anymore than that. Can’t even imagine worrying about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Aluma Bright will make you’re exhaust look great. Just be careful where you spray. 
I have also used Chrome Acid. Strips all the dark stains off the exhaust. 

yeah it was just brand new when i ran it thru some mud and the ****** caked on there ......on 2500s thru wheel well its in plain sight and looks like ******.......think i will just let it burn off over time, bigger wheels will hide it but be awhile before stockers wear out......was also gonna trade it in but looks like that probably wont happen so whateves.......if i need too i will use the suggestions for resale