Borla ATAK Muffler vs full Cat-Back System

I tow my boat to my lake house once in early May and then back home in late September. I have the Corsa Sport. It will get a little loud when towing up hills! The exhaust gets very aggressive above 3500 RPM's, but I love it. The exhaust is whisper quiet when cruising down the road. Interstate 29 has a few intermediate hills that require the truck to downshift, but for the most part it stays in 9th gear (tow haul) while towing my boat around 80mph. 

My buddy has always chosen Corsa on his vehicles, he told me to go with Corsa, and after purchasing it, I wouldn't have another exhaust. It is a bit pricey, but shop around! I got mine for $1180 at pickup trucks.com with a 20% rebate I had gotten from them. Regular $1520 I believe on Corsa site.

Hope this helps...Take care

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, shakenfake said:

@Anon12345Nothing is wrong with Borla but I think the guy I was talking to wanted a quieter in cabin sound with no drone. A lot of people I hear complain about the cab drone but with Corsa they all say no drone.

User preference.

OH. It helps if i go back to find full context lol.  

Im just trying to find what exhaust kit i can do without voiding my new trucks warranty, the stock exhaust is too quiet for my liking with the 6.2. 

• 5 weeks later...

Chevy/GMC performance exhaust is the Borla touring option. It is the quieter selection of the three options. S type and the ATAK are the other two options. S type is aggressive and sounds pretty awesome in my opinion. The ATAK is definitely the most aggressive of the three. The ATAK option fits limited truck packages. I know nothing of Corsa. There are other great choices too. Comes down to what you like best. Most all the top tier brands seem to be easy enough to install. Happy hunting and good luck. 

• 2 weeks later...

Going off the original post that started this thread. I’m looking to get similar sound to a Borla S-Type full system by replacing the stock muffler and possibly deleting flappers if need be. I have my dfm/afm  disabled so I don’t have to worry about the “helicopter” noise. Wondering if anyone has experience with dfm/afm disabled and changing out stock muffler. I do not want any drone.

If possible, I nees someone to define "Drone" and "Helicopter" for me. I have a 2019 Sierra Denali with the 6.2 and factory Borla catback exhaust.  I added a CAI intake. The two combined simply sound awesome.  A nice deep growl which gets considerably louder when accelerating.  At cruising speed it is barely noticable and I have active DFM. I have also noticed an improvement in MPG of about 2.2. Happy about that. But again, from my perspective there is absolutely nothing annoying about my setup. Hope this is helpful.

On 5/11/2022 at 9:57 AM, Nautilus571 said:

If possible, I nees someone to define "Drone" and "Helicopter" for me. I have a 2019 Sierra Denali with the 6.2 and factory Borla catback exhaust.  I added a CAI intake. The two combined simply sound awesome.  A nice deep growl which gets considerably louder when accelerating.  At cruising speed it is barely noticable and I have active DFM. I have also noticed an improvement in MPG of about 2.2. Happy about that. But again, from my perspective there is absolutely nothing annoying about my setup. Hope this is helpful.

Drone I would describe as a monotone exhaust note that you can hear within the cab while cruising that is loud enough to become annoying. As for the helicopter noise people say happens I’m not sure cause I have DFM disabled via pulsar.

On 1/5/2022 at 7:53 AM, Gunndy Gaming said:

Currently trying to decide between getting the full Borla S-Type Cat-back exhaust or just getting the Borla ATAK muffler to replace the OEM flapper and muffler while leaving the resonators.  YouTube videos just usually don't do it justice, even when playing them back on high end home stereo to try and get a true feel.  They can generally give you good representation of the exhaust tone; but not the true loudness as every phone/device microphone is different.  

I know there are a lot of people who have the S-Type Cat back full exhaust installed, but every video I see seems to make me feel different about how loud this is in general.  I'm looking for a pretty aggressive start-up growl, but want it to settle down to a low "purr" at idle and cruising speeds.  I really only want the throaty growl at start up and on any aggressive launch or highway acceleration.  I still want to be able to stand at the tailgate of my truck and carry on a casual conversation while my truck may be idling and/or warming up.

Anyone heard the full s-type vs atak crate muffler in person?  It seems like the factory resonators do a really good job of quieting the idle/cruising volume while still allowing the loudness to come through when you give it some right foot.

On 3/14/2022 at 11:14 AM, Badbird2000 said:

Anyone tow with the Corsa or Borla? I'm planning on buying an RST this year with the 6.2. Tow a 24' TT 5-6 times a year. Don't want it too rowdy when it revs, (keeps the family awake while i drive all day, makes them cranky, hahe) but i do enjoy being able to hear a slight rumble. I had Borla on my 4th gen F-body, it was great as a single guy, had a Borla XS on my F150, wasn't bad at all on the highway, but would not want it that loud now. I know, sound is subjective. 

I don't know if you came across my video or not, but I tried to put my ATAK through as many scenarios as I could. Audio was recorded with external microphones and as much as possible on a Tascam professional grade audio recorder. I also ran an SPL meter in the truck while recording to get an idea of how loud it is. this is not just the ATAK muffler but the full exhaust, which I would highly recommend over a muffler only. cold starts are quite loud. it quiets down quickly. it definitely gets loud when you step on the pedal but when just cruising it is very comfortable. in all the tests I tried I did not encounter any significant amounts of drone anywhere. Only one case on a hill and it was very mild.

I also tested towing in this video, up and down a decent grade even with the trailer behind. still very comfortable sound levels.

And my earlier video on the install if you are interested:

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2022 at 9:06 AM, TyAT4_6.2 said:

Going off the original post that started this thread. I’m looking to get similar sound to a Borla S-Type full system by replacing the stock muffler and possibly deleting flappers if need be. I have my dfm/afm  disabled so I don’t have to worry about the “helicopter” noise. Wondering if anyone has experience with dfm/afm disabled and changing out stock muffler. I do not want any drone.

Bumping this because I still haven’t seen any replies besides just buying a whole exhaust system. My question and the original posters question is aftermarket options that have little to no drone but create more noise to replace the factory muffler.