2016 Silverado mysteriously shuts off

Bought my 2016 truck in 2020 with approx 107000km on it . 2 months owning it , the truck started acting oddly , various codes on the dash showing up , power locks going up and down for no reason and shutting off when turning . I’ve been in constant dispute with GM ever since . Not covered by the extended warranty , unable to replicate the mysterious “shutting” off . It’s random and happens when I’m turning . I haul a horse trailer and am now constantly worrying when it will shut off as I’m turning . 5 GM customer service reps later and no one has done anything . It’s dangerous . What does it take for a company to fix something that is completely unsafe ? So frustrated that I left the truck indefinitely at the dealer . I used to love Chev . I’ll be surely trading it in for a Dodge now . No transparency or accountability.

53 minutes ago, Mamajf said:

Bought my 2016 truck in 2020 with approx 107000km on it . 2 months owning it , the truck started acting oddly , various codes on the dash showing up , power locks going up and down for no reason and shutting off when turning . I’ve been in constant dispute with GM ever since . Not covered by the extended warranty , unable to replicate the mysterious “shutting” off . It’s random and happens when I’m turning . I haul a horse trailer and am now constantly worrying when it will shut off as I’m turning . 5 GM customer service reps later and no one has done anything . It’s dangerous . What does it take for a company to fix something that is completely unsafe ? So frustrated that I left the truck indefinitely at the dealer . I used to love Chev . I’ll be surely trading it in for a Dodge now . No transparency or accountability.

Buy a $20 dash cam from Amazon. Mount the dash cam on the rear window, pointing toward the dash.

Plug the dash cam into the cigarette lighter and let it run every time you drive.

Once you have video evidence, show it to the dealer.

Or do what the last owner did - sell it.

So frustrated that I left the truck indefinitely at the dealer . I used to love Chev . I’ll be surely trading it in for a Dodge now . No transparency or accountability.

I have never understood this attitude, you are responsible for the truck you bought/financed 2 years ago. GM, nor the dealership own it. You cannot just leave it there, and tell the bank, "Well, I just left at the dealership to get fixed". Do you think they will reply, sounds good don't worry about the payments? NO!

Cut your losses, give Dodge a shot, I heard they are as close to perfect as you will find. 
Another one and done ****** session, go figure, don't come back to see if anyone can help with good answers. Why take the time to even create an account?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2022 at 11:41 PM, JimCost2014 said:

So frustrated that I left the truck indefinitely at the dealer . I used to love Chev . I’ll be surely trading it in for a Dodge now . No transparency or accountability.

I have never understood this attitude, you are responsible for the truck you bought/financed 2 years ago. GM, nor the dealership own it. You cannot just leave it there, and tell the bank, "Well, I just left at the dealership to get fixed". Do you think they will reply, sounds good don't worry about the payments? NO!

Cut your losses, give Dodge a shot, I heard they are as close to perfect as you will find. 
Another one and done ****** session, go figure, don't come back to see if anyone can help with good answers. Why take the time to even create an account?

Dear Kevin,

Created the account to see if anyone else has had same issues since the service department said they can’t fix something that they can’t replicate . Oddly , no codes came up on the diagnostic when GM checked but same issues the previous year were confirmed by a mechanic that was not “GM”. And yes, I financed the truck . I’m not asking them to fix a worn out ball joint twit …. They are happy to tell me to pay for a diagnostic every time it happens and then tell me nothing is wrong . Of course will gladly take money for useless diagnostics. The smart ass mechanic informed me the only way they might be able to fix it was to leave it with his service manager to drive . 
So I did . And yeah , cut my losses on an expensive vehicle.

Clearly you have lots of cash to throw around lol , probably think COVID is a conspiracy too haha 

On 1/14/2022 at 10:39 PM, steelerdude15 said:

This has happened to other people too. Start checking the grounds and making sure there all clean and tight. I know the one behind the passenger wheel well is one a lot of people check first.

Thanks! This is the type of feedback I'm looking for . 

Edited by Mamajf

Sometimes you have to roll  up your sleeves and get dirty if you can't find someone to fix a problem and No one cares as much about the things I own as I do.

I agree, start checking grounds. It's electrical IMO.

49 minutes ago, Mamajf said:

probably think COVID is a conspiracy too

Would you like to see my vaccination card that is required by the state of Washington to even go out into public?

Have a good friend who just passed away from complications with COVID. Good assumption on your part.

Mamajf,

While I understand you're frustration with your truck you have to understand threads like yours are common. A new guy joins to complain about their truck and poor GM service. There are some long time members on here and the whinners get old. 

I'm not trying to make excuses but many new members complain and never return once the problem is fixed while the members who stick it out are here to help. 

I hope you get your truck fixed but all the bashing and complaining is beating a dead horse. Like I said sometimes you have to fix it yourself or find another person who can.

Good Luck  

• Like 1

The grounds will be the first thing I look at when I get the truck back . I have very limited knowledge of anything mechanical but I have friends to help and YouTube 🤔.The reason for joining this forum was to hopefully hear from others experiencing similar issues and what solutions they found .I am not looking for sarcasm and Flippant comments . A vehicle hauling a 1100lb horse in a trailer that randomly shuts off is a safety issue . Im not complaining about a faulty tire sensor that won’t stop flashing . And I am not dropping 120$ every time it happens to have the dealer tell me they have no idea what’s wrong . I did take pics of all the errors that showed on the dash but the last diagnostic GM did showed nothing . 

Thanks to anyone with honest helpful comments .

JMHO, this site is a wealth of knowledge and many times the different topics have already been discussed. What I will usually do before posting is do a search on Google as I'm not a real big fan of the search engine on the forum. I will limit the search to this forum and I often will get my answer or at least a direction to head in solving the issue. You can do that by adding site:gm-trucks.com after your search words. Like was mentioned above, this topic has come up many times with dealers quite often unable to duplicate an intermittent issue. I will agree that dealing with them can be frustrating if they aren't willing to go the extra yard and keep up with solutions. On occasion, I have even brought info from the forum and have had them completely disregard it because they believe they are better trained and know everything...

But here is an example of a search I might do and just look at all the different posts that come up:

https://www.google.com/search?q=2016+silverado+shuts+off+while+driving+site%3Agm-trucks.com+&ei=37f6YbqtGYKlptQP-YiO8AE&oq=2016+silverado+shuts+off+while+driving+site%3Agm-trucks.com+&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAM6BwgAEEcQsAM6BggAEBYQHjoFCCEQoAE6BQghEKsCOggIIRAWEB0QHkoECEEYAFCZEFiwR2C1UmgBcAF4AIABpAGIAc0JkgEDMy43mAEAoAEByAEIwAEB&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp#ip=1

Edited by mikeyk101
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1