I'm Pissed! 🤬 Beware of GM

6 minutes ago, AirForceAngler said:

I've had apps that have quit working or required an update in the when my phone's OS was updated.  It is usually up to the creators of the Apps to update their product to be compatible with the current OS.  Similarly, it should be up to MVI to create a product or product support that will keep working when a vehicles software is updated.  I still don't see this as GM's issue, but MVI's.

I agree. MVI is responsible for the the end user ability to retain its product. The only product I’m familiar with was hand held tunes. They were loud and clear about returning to stock before taking it to the dealership. Even the dealer would tell me. They don’t always inform you when they do updates. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Transient said:

GM should've known this could've been an issue of their going to be a tech company.  Nonetheless, something was taken from me and I want it back.  I shouldn't be compelled to pay.  That is actually illegal.  I did absolutely nothing wrong.  I own my truck.  It is not a lease. 

GM should "know" that doing a FACTORY reprogram would wipe out an AFTERMARKET mod?  Not their problem.  

You haven't done anything wrong, yes, but neither did GM.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 6

You ask them to fix a problem, GM's solution is to upgrade the software. They don't know you had MVI update it, its on you. NOW, had you taken it in for an oil change and they said oh hey there's a software update lets go ahead and do that for him, that would be on them.

Its also not MVI's problem you had GM wipe their programming off.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, calgator73 said:

Hopefully mvi will give you a discount on reprogramming the module again.  Got a question:  did reflashing the module actually fix your camera problem?

No.  They ended up replacing the bezel on the tailgate. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, AirForceAngler said:

So you'd rather spend several hundred dollars for a junk Nav program that'll get overwritten instead of a $10 USB cord?  Ok.  Gotcha.  By the way, wireless AA or AC is junk, too.  Drains the battery quickly so you need a cord anyhow.

Essentially, yes.  Reason being, I already have the USB cable in my truck.  Had nothing but problems while driving from Virginia to California.  Seemed like every time I got into construction or on a bumpy road the connection at the phone was disconnected.  I did try different cables, but the problem remained.  Furthermore, playing the music on my phone was an issue with Google Music.  It would play 1 Playlist only, and I couldn't switch to another Playlist or just the tracks list of the songs in my phone.  I have over 2,000 songs in my phone.  While using AA I couldn't use wifi or Bluetooth to fix the music issue.  Factory nav is my solution for that.  I have XM, but sometimes I just get tired of listening to it, especially on the weekends when they loop the same stuff every couple of hours.

Also, if you have something else plugged into another port, such as the USB port in the center console under the armrest (I like to keep wireless ear buds charging here since I use them to ignore the other parents at my kids' practices, and it has a short cord) you'll get a notification that you need to plug in a device that has android auto when you alreadt have, and it's connected to the port under the radio/hvac controls. 

Edited by Transient
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, uood8 said:

You ask them to fix a problem, GM's solution is to upgrade the software. They don't know you had MVI update it, its on you. NOW, had you taken it in for an oil change and they said oh hey there's a software update lets go ahead and do that for him, that would be on them.

Its also not MVI's problem you had GM wipe their programming off.

I did not approve GM or the dealership to remove anything from my truck, therefore its also not my fault.  GM's repair procedure does not check for added software prior to being conducted.  A "tech company" should always be aware that's a possibility. 

Furthermore, risk of the factory nav, or any other software, being deleted was not outlined.  The truck handled OTA updates without affecting navigation.  I also wasn't notified of programming being reflashed was part of the process until after the fact.  And, it wasn't 1 reflash they did, but 2 different ones because the first reflash didn't fix the angle of the camera.  I suspect it's the 2nd reflash that deleted the software, which also didn't fix the camera angle.  GM was ready to warranty the entire tailgate to fix the camera angle, until a 2nd tech suggested swapping the bezel. 

Edited by Transient

On 2/3/2022 at 12:09 AM, Transient said:

At the end of September 2020 I purchased the GM factory navigation upgrade for my truck via MVI.  It has worked perfectly.  Best nav system for the trucks, imo.  I even have subscriptions to OnStar to maximize the benefits of the navigation system. 

Last week I took my truck to the dealer for its 22,500 mile service, and a few warranty issues.  One of those warranty issues regarded the crooked reverse camera.  While working to correct the crooked reverse camera they did some sort of software update, per GM's instructions.  That update deleted the factory navigation from my truck.

The day after picking up my truck from the dealer I notified them of the issue, and made an appointment to bring my truck back today.  I also provided proof of the GM factory navigation being in my truck via receipts from MVI.  This afternoon I received an interesting phone call.  The service writer stated they need to contact a certain division of GM Tech, and GM was going to charge them $75 just to talk to them.  The dealership wants me to pay that fee, and there's no guarantee that GM will restore the factory navigation to my truck. 

Before I get roasted, I understand businesses are not in the habit of losing money, and the dealership is caught in the middle.  However, why should I (or the dealership) be required to pay for a service that may or may not restore what I already possessed in the first place?  It's not a subscription service.  This is on par with somebody stealing something from you, then telling you to pay up if you want it back, but there's no guarantee they'll give it back to you even if you pay.  And, the dealership even said if GM does come up with a way to restore the factory navigation to my truck, I'm paying at least 1 hour labor for the upload.  I shouldn't have to pay for that either. 

GM made this mess.  Apparently, they want to parade around talking about how they're a tech firm, but don't want to actually behave like a tech firm.  Microsoft, Samsung, and Apple have no problem performing updates without deleting files.  GM should be, too.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/10/general-motors-wants-the-public-to-see-it-as-a-tech-company/

As for MVI's whereabouts in all this?  They have been less than helpful.  I contacted them, and asked how much restoring the factory navigation was going to cost me.  No reply.  Only thing I've heard is several people are ahead of me, and they'll get back to me when it's my turn. 

Unless somebody with a clearer mindset than I provides a good reason to not, I'm contacting the Dept of Consumer Affairs in the morning.  Something has been stolen.  I want it back.  I shouldn't have to pay for it.  GM screwed up.  Not me.  

I'm so pissed off that I've started looking at other makes to replace my truck.  I've been loyal to GM for over 20 years.  My wife drives a Chevy.  My kids would've probably ended up with GMs.  I think that's all changing now.

?????

You did it aftermarket. Not through your dealer. But you want them to fix it?

Take it to MVI and have them fix it.

Not seeing how this is GM or the dealer's fault in any way.

It's known that if you do anything aftermarket in software and you take it in for some sort of service, there is a high chance that it will be wiped after the service.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Transient said:

I did not approve GM or the dealership to remove anything from my truck, therefore its also not my fault.  GM's repair procedure does not check for added software prior to being conducted.  A "tech company" should always be aware that's a possibility. 

Furthermore, risk of the factory nav, or any other software, being deleted was not outlined.  The truck handled OTA updates without affecting navigation.  I also wasn't notified of programming being reflashed was part of the process until after the fact.  And, it wasn't 1 reflash they did, but 2 different ones because the first reflash didn't fix the angle of the camera.  I suspect it's the 2nd reflash that deleted the software, which also didn't fix the camera angle.  GM was ready to warranty the entire tailgate to fix the camera angle, until a 2nd tech suggested swapping the bezel. 

Ok, you didn't approve them to remove anything from your truck, did you tell them of the aftermarket software up front? They reflashed software to try and fix your issue how are they to know you had aftermarket software? I guarantee if you told them of the aftermarket software they would have sent you on your way and refused to fix. ITS NOT GM OR THE DEALERS FAULT.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Transient said:

Factory nav is my solution for that

I agree, it is a very easy way to go, really the path of least resistance. 

Seattle (Western Washington) is a pretty populated area and have never had the factory Nav fail for finding a location. Sometimes, not the route I may have taken in hindsight, but always gets me where I want to go.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Silverado4x4 said:

Ok, you didn't approve them to remove anything from your truck, did you tell them of the aftermarket software up front? They reflashed software to try and fix your issue how are they to know you had aftermarket software? I guarantee if you told them of the aftermarket software they would have sent you on your way and refused to fix. ITS NOT GM OR THE DEALERS FAULT.

You can't guarantee anything.  You don't know who the dealership is.  And, there's a law that requires GM to honor warranty repairs.  A business can refuse to help a customer, but GM would be held legally accountable at the end.  GM could them hold the dealer accountable for failure to honor its terms for being a dealership because they are required to keep GM looking good.

To answer your question, what does navigation have to do with a crooked rear camera?  According to the dealer, nothing.  And, I'm not the technician.  What makes you think I know what the repair procedure is?  It's not like it wasn't there for them to see.  It was up on the radio screen because I always have it on split screen with nav and radio.  And, I have wireless phone charging, which isn't an option in an LT Trail Boss.  There are also other noticeable modifications to the truck.  Does the dealer tell you everything they do to fix your truck?  They didn't ask, and I didn't know I needed to disclose it. 

Edited by Transient

18 hours ago, shanemoon said:

?????

You did it aftermarket. Not through your dealer. But you want them to fix it?

Take it to MVI and have them fix it.

Not seeing how this is GM or the dealer's fault in any way.

It's known that if you do anything aftermarket in software and you take it in for some sort of service, there is a high chance that it will be wiped after the service.

At the end of the day, theft is theft.  It was the dealer/GM that removed the software.  Theft isn't restricted to only tangible items, such as in this case. 

3 hours ago, Transient said:

At the end of the day, theft is theft.  It was the dealer/GM that removed the software.  Theft isn't restricted to only tangible items, such as in this case. 

That is not theft. You took it in and almost certainly gave them permission to reflash by doing so. 
What it is is a void of warranty…so you’d be lucky that they don’t just say, “sorry we can’t work on the BCM of your car any longer” and leave you to figure it out. 

Edited by shanemoon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, shanemoon said:

That is not theft. You took it in and almost certainly gave them permission to reflash by doing so. 
What it is is a void of warranty…so you’d be lucky that they don’t just say, “sorry we can’t work on the BCM of your car any longer” and leave you to figure it out. 

Did you miss the part where reflash isn't the solution?  And, again, I didn't consent to the removal of anything.  The repair was solely for fixing crooked reverse camera.  Are you familiar with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act?  Nothing you said holds water.  The warranty can't be voided without proof that the modification caused the failure. 

Edited by Transient

4 minutes ago, Transient said:

Did you miss the part where reflash isn't the solution?  And, again, I didn't consent to the removal of anything.  The repair was solely for fixing crooked reverse camera.  Are you familiar with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act?  Nothing you said holds water.  The warranty can't be voided without proof that the modification caused the failure. 

Did you miss the part where that’s not what I said at all?

I never said that reflash was the solution. I said that they had to reflash to fix the issue that you took it in for service. That service procedure requires replacement of the camera assembly, which requires a reflash. 

So you almost certainly gave them permission to reflash when you took it in. Which is also permission to bring the trucks BCM back to its factory spec. 
I’m sorry that you don’t understand that. But this has been the case for software mods on vehicles for decades. 

Void warranty can also be for the fact that they cannot perform the warranty service because of a modification. 

Sounds like you’re a real treat to work with and that everyone else is always at fault except yourself. 
Being upfront, honest, admitting ignorance and some fault will get you much further in a lot of situations than being a hard ass. And also not getting angry at people who literally have no control over what their company policies are also helps. No one wants to help someone who is a pain to work with. 

Good luck in life. 👍🏼

• Like 1