I'm Pissed! 🤬 Beware of GM

At the end of September 2020 I purchased the GM factory navigation upgrade for my truck via MVI.  It has worked perfectly.  Best nav system for the trucks, imo.  I even have subscriptions to OnStar to maximize the benefits of the navigation system. 

Last week I took my truck to the dealer for its 22,500 mile service, and a few warranty issues.  One of those warranty issues regarded the crooked reverse camera.  While working to correct the crooked reverse camera they did some sort of software update, per GM's instructions.  That update deleted the factory navigation from my truck.

The day after picking up my truck from the dealer I notified them of the issue, and made an appointment to bring my truck back today.  I also provided proof of the GM factory navigation being in my truck via receipts from MVI.  This afternoon I received an interesting phone call.  The service writer stated they need to contact a certain division of GM Tech, and GM was going to charge them $75 just to talk to them.  The dealership wants me to pay that fee, and there's no guarantee that GM will restore the factory navigation to my truck. 

Before I get roasted, I understand businesses are not in the habit of losing money, and the dealership is caught in the middle.  However, why should I (or the dealership) be required to pay for a service that may or may not restore what I already possessed in the first place?  It's not a subscription service.  This is on par with somebody stealing something from you, then telling you to pay up if you want it back, but there's no guarantee they'll give it back to you even if you pay.  And, the dealership even said if GM does come up with a way to restore the factory navigation to my truck, I'm paying at least 1 hour labor for the upload.  I shouldn't have to pay for that either. 

GM made this mess.  Apparently, they want to parade around talking about how they're a tech firm, but don't want to actually behave like a tech firm.  Microsoft, Samsung, and Apple have no problem performing updates without deleting files.  GM should be, too.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/10/general-motors-wants-the-public-to-see-it-as-a-tech-company/

As for MVI's whereabouts in all this?  They have been less than helpful.  I contacted them, and asked how much restoring the factory navigation was going to cost me.  No reply.  Only thing I've heard is several people are ahead of me, and they'll get back to me when it's my turn. 

Unless somebody with a clearer mindset than I provides a good reason to not, I'm contacting the Dept of Consumer Affairs in the morning.  Something has been stolen.  I want it back.  I shouldn't have to pay for it.  GM screwed up.  Not me.  

I'm so pissed off that I've started looking at other makes to replace my truck.  I've been loyal to GM for over 20 years.  My wife drives a Chevy.  My kids would've probably ended up with GMs.  I think that's all changing now.

Edited by Transient
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Transient said:

At the end of September 2020 I purchased the GM factory navigation upgrade for my truck via MVI.

...While working to correct the crooked reverse camera they did some sort of software update, per GM's instructions.  That update deleted the factory navigation from my truck.

Patience man.

• Like 2

That's definitely annoying, especially since you paid for the software, but I'm not surprised that the update they installed overrode software changes that were made after the truck was sold. The VIN for your truck probably specifies the non-navigation software version so that's what they installed. Seeing how the GM head units can also do over the air updates, it's possible this may happen again even after restoring your navigation software for that reason.

Anecdotally, we also have a '19 Mini Countryman that didn't come with Apple CarPlay. The only way to get it that model year was to get the $2,500 factory navigation upgrade, and since we bought a car off of the dealer lot without that option, that wasn't possible. I've researched ways to load CarPlay into the head unit, but I decided it was too expensive and too risky to corrupt the factory software. That car doesn't have a dipstick, so you check the oil level via the infotainment screen; it seems pretty integrated into the car and I don't want to mess with it, in other words.

• Like 1

Sounds to me you need to fire the dealer. They should be going to bat for you. GM has Service liassons that handle these issues. The dealer should be talking to them. 

• Like 2

Man that sucks!  I personally think dealerships should let us know when there is a need for a software update. It’s YOUR truck! Just a nice courtesy call is all it would take. We have lost that in our day in age. 

Keep on the dealership and GM. Do Not pay for anything because it is not your fault. Hold your ground, take deep breathes, and think before you speak. I know it’s an age now where we can loose cool but being polite does go a long way.  

This so brings me back to when my 2016 went in shop for the “infamous” CHEVY SHAKE. From day one my wife told me to relax, be courteous, patience, respectfulness, and you know what. It did take 6 months but both GM and dealership saw my frustrations and worked with me to buy truck back and get me into a brand new one with even more features. 

Good luck @Transient

• Thanks 1

It's your truck. You can add whatever software you want to it and anyone who removes software without your permission should be held responsible. It's really no different than GM taking your aftermarket wheels off and replacing then with stock wheels. But I think the only thing you can do is to talk with someone higher up at GM or somehow get their attention. If that doesn't work maybe MVI will take care of you. 

• Like 3

I don't see how any of this is the dealer or GM's fault, you bought an aftermarket accessory that is not related or owned by GM and your upset that GM did a software update and its gone. You need to go after MVI not GM or the dealer. It would be the same thing of installing a tune and you take the truck in for an update and it got wiped out. Chances are that even if GM did update it chances are that it might not work due to software updates by MVI may be different than what GM uses and why should GM pay for an update and it is not their equipment, its aftermarket.

Edited by Silverado4x4
  • Like 9

5 minutes ago, Silverado4x4 said:

I don't see how any of this is the dealer or GM's fault, you bought an aftermarket accessory that is not related or owned by GM and your upset that GM did a software update and its gone. You need to go after MVI not GM or the dealer. It would be the same thing of installing a tune and you take the truck in for an update and it got wiped out. Chances are that even if GM did update it chances are that it might not work due to software updates by MVI may be different than what GM uses and why should GM pay for an update and it is not their equipment, its aftermarket.

So if you buy aftermarket wheels and GM updates them with stock wheels while in for service, or how about an aftermarket stubby antennae, and instead they put back-on a factory one, or maybe a aftermarket CAI system, and they re-install the factory one?? GM states truck needs to be factory specs or warranty is gone?!? Are you gonna accept that? It's his truck, not GM's, he paid for it with HIS $$. It is stealing.

GM wants to claim they are a tech company, well "tech-up" and fix the problem.  MVI didn't cause this, GM did! By whatever software update they uploaded onto his truck; caused it to be deleted, so yes, GM should "man-up/woman-up" (per Mary) and fix this issue. 

But like a stated before, do it in a calm, STERN/FIRM manner! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Transient said:

At the end of September 2020 I purchased the GM factory navigation upgrade for my truck via MVI.  It has worked perfectly.  Best nav system for the trucks, imo.  I even have subscriptions to OnStar to maximize the benefits of the navigation system. 

Last week I took my truck to the dealer for its 22,500 mile service, and a few warranty issues.  One of those warranty issues regarded the crooked reverse camera.  While working to correct the crooked reverse camera they did some sort of software update, per GM's instructions.  That update deleted the factory navigation from my truck.

The day after picking up my truck from the dealer I notified them of the issue, and made an appointment to bring my truck back today.  I also provided proof of the GM factory navigation being in my truck via receipts from MVI.  This afternoon I received an interesting phone call.  The service writer stated they need to contact a certain division of GM Tech, and GM was going to charge them $75 just to talk to them.  The dealership wants me to pay that fee, and there's no guarantee that GM will restore the factory navigation to my truck. 

Before I get roasted, I understand businesses are not in the habit of losing money, and the dealership is caught in the middle.  However, why should I (or the dealership) be required to pay for a service that may or may not restore what I already possessed in the first place?  It's not a subscription service.  This is on par with somebody stealing something from you, then telling you to pay up if you want it back, but there's no guarantee they'll give it back to you even if you pay.  And, the dealership even said if GM does come up with a way to restore the factory navigation to my truck, I'm paying at least 1 hour labor for the upload.  I shouldn't have to pay for that either. 

GM made this mess.  Apparently, they want to parade around talking about how they're a tech firm, but don't want to actually behave like a tech firm.  Microsoft, Samsung, and Apple have no problem performing updates without deleting files.  GM should be, too.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/10/general-motors-wants-the-public-to-see-it-as-a-tech-company/

As for MVI's whereabouts in all this?  They have been less than helpful.  I contacted them, and asked how much restoring the factory navigation was going to cost me.  No reply.  Only thing I've heard is several people are ahead of me, and they'll get back to me when it's my turn. 

Unless somebody with a clearer mindset than I provides a good reason to not, I'm contacting the Dept of Consumer Affairs in the morning.  Something has been stolen.  I want it back.  I shouldn't have to pay for it.  GM screwed up.  Not me.  

I'm so pissed off that I've started looking at other makes to replace my truck.  I've been loyal to GM for over 20 years.  My wife drives a Chevy.  My kids would've probably ended up with GMs.  I think that's all changing now.

None of this is GM's fault.  YOU had an aftermarket sourced program installed into your radio.  GM can't do anything to restore an AFTERMARKET program, even if its "GM" software.

You took it in for an issue.  They reprogrammed the modules to the latest FACTORY calibration.  The truck was built WITHOUT NAV, so that is what goes back in.  

Sucks to be you.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, HeySkippyDog said:

OH GOT DUMMIT IM GUNNA SELL THIS PIECE OF TRASH AND BUY A FÜRD!

So an aftermarket thing got wiped. Take it up with them and they should be able to fix it.

Sounds like an admin issue, they'll get it straight. 

Aftermarket? Did you even read what he wrote? I've considered selling mine after the adaptive cruise camera went out and it took gm over a month to provide a new one. Honestly, the dealers and gm themselves are complete garbage and I would have a hard time buying another due to my experiences. You don't make excuses, you fix it. Period. Futhermore, a "tech company" has the ability to remote in and fix a screw up like this, gm requires you visit one of their baffoonish dealers. 

• Like 2