Fuse tap question (from a newb)

Hey guys.  

My kid brother has a 21 custom trail boss.  I recently wired in some aftermarket fog lights into the parking light fuse.  Worked perfect.    He recently purchased the avs aerocab lights..  any advice on which fuse to tap into so that they come on with ignition (or parking lights).   I know there is another parking light fuse but it’s located right next to a relay and makes it difficult to fit the tap.  

appreciate the help and apologies if it’s a dumbass question.  I’m mostly new to electrical stuff!

2 hours ago, AJMBLAZER said:

Dumb question as I’m doing something similar with aftermarket fog lights - wiring them in to the parking light - are they on all the time?

Yep.. as soon as parking lights are turned on. (Didn’t bother my brother).    

hoping someone can help me out with a good fuse location for cab lights!

Ok, thanks. Definitely not what I’m after but you confirmed that part of my suspicions. 

Tried checking the fuses for when you want it?

Now that I say that…can you even do that with these mini fuses?  Have to look tomorrow. 

Edited by AJMBLAZER

Instead of going the fuse panel route. What about using a wire tap on the BCM side. Under drivers side kick panel. Several BCM plugs. Find out which pin connector goes to parking lights and use a wire tap there. 

Screenshot_20220212-105811_Office.jpg

4 hours ago, Mac-427 said:

Here is what I did to power a front camera on my 2020 Custom.

Fuse Tap.jpg

704752717_CameraPower.jpg.2af93cef444441127a467f1f02fa7f20.jpg

Worked like a charm! Thank you.  One quick question tho… after installed we got a ‘service abs system’ alert and the check engine light is on.  What could have caused that? 

18 hours ago, Ovie832 said:

Worked like a charm! Thank you.  One quick question tho… after installed we got a ‘service abs system’ alert and the check engine light is on.  What could have caused that? 

Tap into the headlight fuse, this fuse receives power when the truck it on, it does not turn on the headlight. I have had no issues no errors.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, RedLT said:

Tap into the headlight fuse, this fuse receives power when the truck it on, it does not turn on the headlight. I have had no issues no errors.

Interesting!  We may end up adding the hood lights from avs too so good to know.  The low beam headlight? 

56 minutes ago, RedLT said:

Just a guess, I did have a very secure ground connection, could it be a grounding problem?

Edited by Mac-427
  • Thanks 1