Brake service

I understand replace pads when worn. Dealer keeps recommending a brake service (clean and lubricate) to extend life of pads and brakes. Is this necessary and at how many ima from new? I was thinking doing at the 50000 mark my brakes are not even half worn maybe if I recall 35% worn. They wrote on my bill brake service overdue . I don’t see manual recommending brake service. Could this affect my warranty if I don’t do it?  Is a brake service lube and clean  necessary and at what kms I would say maybe at the half life of the pads? I  am canada so roads are salty in winter 

Edited by Mikey999

Caliper services are worth the time to do IMO.  Especially if you are anywhere with salt on the roads.  Pads can seize up in the brackets, get stuck wearing at an angle, etc. due to rust build up on the slide clips. 

Or what can happen is the outboard pad can't slide, and the inboard wears down to nothing as its the only one doing the braking.  When you take them apart, the inboard pad is gone and the outboard looks brand new.  15-20 Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade and 14-18 1/2 ton trucks are notorious for this.  

I do mine once, maybe twice a year myself and it extends the life of my brakes for sure that they can wear evenly and slide freely. 

Seen a lot of brake jobs get done at work under 30K miles that could have had their replacement time doubled if they were cleaned and lubed.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 2

Luck of a draw in my opinion. I have 115,000 on my factory front brakes and still have 40-50% pad life left on both inner and outer pad. I only took one side off when I did a wheel bearing but that's it.

I live in Minnesota too.