Too many miles

Hey all, been looking at trucks for a bit, cannot afford new.  Found a 2018 Chevrolet Silverado crew cab 4x4 6.2l, 3.42 gears max tow pkg, with 97,000 Miles, mostly highway miles, well taken care of.

Question is, is that too many miles buying used??

Edited by James Beyer
Update

4 minutes ago, James Beyer said:

Hey all, been looking at trucks for a bit, cannot afford new.  Found a 2018 Chevrolet Silverado crew cab 4x4 6.2l with 97,000 Miles, mostly highway miles, well taken care of.

Question is, is that too many miles buying used??

Depends on price, and maintenance records and use. Retired I bought a used truck for around town 2 years ago. A cherry 02 Avalanche with 168K miles. It had detailed and complete maintenance records. I owned one before and was my favorite. I only put about 5-7K miles a year on it. I paid 6K. Even after having complete records they left out it gets water in the oil. No problem I fixed it with bars leak. If yours is going to be a daily driver I’d go CPO with warranty and what you can afford. 

Thank You Stan and diyer2,

Agree with a warranty and maintenance records.  Checked on Warranty, it is $2,250 for 24 month/24,000 miles. 

Edited by James Beyer
Update

Pull the stick on the transmission. If it isn't translucent red like you have a hard time even seeing it's there that's a problem. Factory fill is pretty much toast by 45K. On a long test drive monitor the transmission temperature. If after a good long pull on the interstate it settles in around 190 F+ it still has the TBV active. Note how it shifts both up and down during the entire test drive and assure you are starting cold. That is trans fluid below ambient. Until the fluid reaches around 68 F the converter will not lock up but if it fails to afterward that is a problem. I'm concentrating on the transmission as it is the one of the most neglected parts of most vehicles and something few ever look at when buying. 

On the test drive test every system on it. 

It has allot of miles for the year. So yes it likely to have been a highway driven machine. Check the engine hour meter and divide miles by hours. That many miles should be something over 40. If instead its like in the mid 30's then it also has allot of idle hours on it. Some working types will leave their gassers run like a diesel.

Read the records. How often and what products were oil changes done. Transfer case, diffs ever receive service? Look at the master cylinder level and color. Ever had brake work? Almost no one tops off brake fluid. It will be a rough indicator of brake life left. 😉 Get it on a rack or take it to a mechanic you really trust for a solid look over that includes pulling wheels, checking suspension parts and checking all levels and fluid conditions. Check the breathers for foam/white snot.  

Point is this truck even well taken care of may need a raft of services common to the miles due to Joe Averages treatment of the truck. It's a wide range. 

There are allot of owner/operators that are fanatical about detail and paint that are power train clueless.  

After all this ask yourself if its worth exceeds its value. If it does then have at. If its value exceeds its worth? Hard pass. 

2 cents and a cuppa coffee. 

• Like 1

Thank You truckguy 82, unfortunately with raising three grandchildren I need a crewcab.

Thank You brown1317, that is encouraging news for longevity.

Thank you Grumpy Bear, awsome recommendations, will follow your advice, most appreciated.

• Like 1

Iv always had extended warranty on vehicles. Usually work in the deal at no cost or very little. I had a transmission repair on my trailblazer ss and GPS-back up camera-radio on my wife’s Genesis. I buy at the dealership during the negotiations. 

26 minutes ago, James Beyer said:

Thank You truckguy 82, unfortunately with raising three grandchildren I need a crewcab.

Thank You brown1317, that is encouraging news for longevity.

Thank you Grumpy Bear, awsome recommendations, will follow your advice, most appreciated.

Pull the stick on the transmission

No dipstick on the 8 speeds.

Thank You Cam, the guy I'm buying this truck from name is Cam.

Hope it is as good of truck as my 14 gmc.  Does not have center councol with buckets that I really like, but all else is good for $36k.

IMG955944.jpg

Edited by James Beyer
Update
  • Like 2