I have a 2011 silverado. I had a timing issue and took it to the dealership. They replaced the timing chain and tensioner. When I picked it up, the check engine light came on within a mile of the dealership. I brought it back to them and now they are saying the camshaft sprocket is bad and needs to be replaced but it's unrelated to the original repair. 

Shouldn't they have diagnosed the cam sprocket during the original repair since they had to touch it during the timing chain repair or an i missing something?

they should have replaced it when they did the chain, they probably had to remove it to do the chain anyway and may have damaged it in doing so. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, make a stink, you paid them to fix the timing problem and the gear is part of that

• Like 2

I never heard of just changing ONE of the THREE components of the Timing chain (1) and gears (sprockets) large and small (2 and 3), I think Richard is (or formerly is) a dealer mechanic. He prolly knows whether or not the factory pays for a test drive. I can tell you I don't let my jobs go without a test drive, it's a good policy of CYA and to avoid embarrassment.

I always worked at the corner gas station that worked on every thing that rolled then had my own shop then heavy equipment mechanic never at the stealership.  the aftermarket timing sets come with everything not just a chain and tensioner  and that's what I replace when doing a tc job-EVERYTHING! who wants to do the job twice. I can't imagine why the dealer wouldn't change everything on a non warrantee job as this must have been unless they didn't have the parts in stock

On 4/23/2022 at 5:56 PM, richard wysong said:

they should have replaced it when they did the chain, they probably had to remove it to do the chain anyway and may have damaged it in doing so. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, make a stink, you paid them to fix the timing problem and the gear is part of that

Do you know if the official GM repair procedure requires charging or the gears?

I do not. was this a warrantee repair? if so then they might only replace what's defective but they should give you the option of paying for the other parts involved in a complete repair. the timing chain develops a wear pattern on the gears so when replacing the chain the gears should ALWAYS be replaced otherwise the new chain will cause accelerated wear to it and the gears

9 hours ago, richard wysong said:

I do not. was this a warrantee repair? if so then they might only replace what's defective but they should give you the option of paying for the other parts involved in a complete repair. the timing chain develops a wear pattern on the gears so when replacing the chain the gears should ALWAYS be replaced otherwise the new chain will cause accelerated wear to it and the gears

I have an extended warranty through an independent company, not through GM.  I think they just went off of recommendations from the dealership.  They are saying that it's not normal to change the gears and that they have no way of knowing they are bad unless a code gets generated.  Obviously they had to touch them to install the timing chain and I just assumed they would be changed with the timing chain.  I haven't been able to find out if GM recommends changing the gears or not in their official repair procedure.

they are feeding you a line of crap. it's not normal to change the chain without changing the gears. ask them to show you where it says it's not required. the only way it can throw a code is improper installation, damage caused during the chain service or excessive wear all which they are responsible for checking while servicing the chain. they screwed up and want you to pay! take it up the ladder to regional and corporate if you have to