Replace plugs and wires due to age?

Hi All, 

Apologies if this is already covered in another thread, I searched and couldn't find.

I have a 2014 Silverado with 5.3 engine.  It has 57K miles and is 8 years old.  Should I consider replacing plugs and wires due to age?  The manual only stipulates miles, but I have had other vehicles that had OEM recommendation to replace due to age as well.  Truck feels down on power, but is hard to tell as I currently don't drive it much.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!  

Edited by peter zeeb
Correct spelling

Maybe?

I only replaced the plugs on my truck at 96,000ish miles and reused the stock wires because they are some of the best OEM wires out there. My truck is a 2016 and has 117,000 miles on it now. Seen OEM wires last well over 150k miles without issue too.

It wouldn't hurt that's for sure, so for the $100 it costs to do the work it may be worth the peace of mind.

I would change the plugs with OEM. Did mine at 60k. I'm not a fan of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" 

Edited by diyer2

I just had the plugs changed in my wife’s Genesis at 11 years and 120K. It was waiting for a starter and we figured what the hell. I can’t remember the last time I did a tune up, otherwise. Way back in 2004 with my Z71 I asked my shop owner friend about that subject as I was approaching 100K miles. Knowing my mileage was mostly Hwy let her rip.  Was his answer. At 185K l traded it in same plugs and brakes. I always look at manufacturers maintenance schedule as average recommendation for people who don’t have clue. Most dealers say use the extreme schedule. They want your money. As for my wife’s starter. The cars used in town more starts. My wife wants to keep the car another 10 years I lean towards more maintenance. It’s funny though the car that gets the more extended treatment the oil looks transparent the longest. But it’s the trip car. More extended driving.

Edited by KARNUT