1992 GMC Sonoma ran out of gas now won't start

I have a 1992 Sonoma. My brother ran it out of fuel. We put gas in it and it turned over, then died. I can hear the fuel pump working and it's turning over, but it won't start. We replaced the fuel filter. Is it possible that the injectors are clogged, or stuck open/shut?  Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Ldodge65

The fuel is also the pump coolant; my first guess would be due to the lack of fuel to cool the pump and associated parts some thing melted and now won't allow fuel to pass or you burned up the pump motor.

• Like 1

Both DNA9656 and Spiney Norman's inputs are great points. If you havent got one, I would get a spark tester and check to see if your getting spark on all cylinders. Try spraying in some starting fluid, if it fires but dies seconds later, then I would say your pump has either gone out, or locked in place.

I have heard some folks have pulled thier pump, and moved the fuel plunger, and it started working correctly again. But if your not getting fuel to the spider correctly, it will keep doing the same. I had to replace my fuel pump at 135000. It was doing same, firing and dying. 

Note if you do decide to replace pump, take off the bed, it is alot easier. Couple videos on Youtube..

• 1 month later...

Also the truck was run dry without clogged fuel filter/injector symptoms prior to the no gas in the tank incident so I doubt those are an issue. I did it on a Avalanche (no bed to remove) it would have been nice if GM put an access under the rear seat to change/service the fuel pump/filter assembly.