Amsoil Price Hike

58 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

Customboss UOA on the Amsoil OE at 7500 miles I believe proved it could be run longer. 

Point of interest here and I believe @customboss would agree with this subtle but useful thought....

A UOA is unique to the motor....not the oil.

That is, same oil, different motor, different result. In this case the AMSOIL OE showed it would go longer in the customboss motor. In Dizzy over the last 40K miles, I'd guess not.  

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Point of interest here and I believe @customboss would agree with this subtle but useful thought....

A UOA is unique to the motor....not the oil.

That is, same oil, different motor, different result. In this case the AMSOIL OE showed it would go longer in the customboss motor. In Dizzy over the last 40K miles, I'd guess not.  

YES   the unique thing about getting good oil analysis that is interpreted properly by a pro is you can find PROBLEMS BEFORE THEY HARM ANYTHING.  Different chemistries of fuels and oils can abate or correct unique issues.  

• Like 1

WOW I actually agree. My truck and my Honda I’d go extended. A turbo engine or if I’m forced into a cylinder deactivation vehicle. I’d change more often. My wife’s Genesis every 5K that amounts to twice a year. My long distance runner the Honda CRV just passed 7K miles on this oil change. I can finally see some color. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, customboss said:

YES   the unique thing about getting good oil analysis that is interpreted properly by a pro is you can find PROBLEMS BEFORE THEY HARM ANYTHING.  Different chemistries of fuels and oils can abate or correct unique issues.  

I understand but without UOA's I have never had a motor failure of any type, vehicles, boats, yard equipment etc. So I will change my oil more and do top notch maintenance and that has worked for me for many years. You guys split hairs if you like.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, diyer2 said:

I understand but without UOA's I have never had a motor failure of any type, vehicles, boats, yard equipment etc. So I will change my oil more and do top notch maintenance and that has worked for me for many years. You guys split hairs if you like.

Not what I was trying to say sir. You said that based on another persons UOA you believed the oil was capable of more which to took to mean categorically so. That is in any motor anywhere anytime. I was simply pointing out that THAT UOA didn't tell you anything about how THAT oil would perform in YOUR motor. 

No hair splitting going on. Correcting a false presumption. Even gave an example....Don't know how to make it plainer. 

I'm 68 and have only done a few UOA's ever by an outside lab.  Like you ran millions of miles trouble free without them and like you don't buy into extended OCIs.

Having said that I don't do routine colonoscopy either but if I crapped black tar blood I'd find one useful. It's tool, not a religion. I would have never run one on Dizzy except my oil was turning to coal oil and using it like there was no tomorrow. Having done this path once and screwing it up by the numbers I'd repeat it, given a CAUSE and with a straighter path to the/a solution. Could have used better diagnostics to eliminate some cost and wasted time and money getting to the root cause. :dunno: 

• Like 1

A friend is in the PowerSports rental business and is a Bombardier (CAMAM, SKIDOO) authorized rental dealer.  He get dealer prices on parts and lubricants from CanAM, Skidoo etc. Well about 2 yrs ago that stopped as they jacked up his prices so high it made AMSOIL look like discount oil.   So he became an AMSOIL dealer (to get the lowest prices) about 2 yrs ago and that's all he buys now,  mostly by the drum, up to a doz a year, mostly 2 stroke but the fleet is moving to 4-stroke gradually.  After a year of use he sells off the old rides and get all new, part of his deal with SkIdoo and CanAm that he rents current year models, approx. 50, snowmobiles, ATV/UTV and Jetski's. Not only  has he saved a lot of $$ on oil, he told me last month he has not lost one engine since he switched to AMSOIL Interceptor. It was not uncommon to have a few engines go down on the snowmobiles as renters can push them to 100 mph on trails.  The units get lots of miles. .  That's more profits for the comp.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You bring up a very good point  that it is hard for engineers, chemists, and scientists is that when someone asks a question that doesn't mean they want to really know why. Most want a simple answer in english.  I had to learn that the hard way when I left out on my own owning a oil and fuels analysis consulting firm.  Detailed granular answers are what other engineers want, not mom and pop. 

• Like 1

Simply put............

The way I maintain my vehicles has worked, that works for me. Don't need UOA's, charts, paragraphs of data or test results. 

If I was having mechanical problems I would change my ways. One of the dumbest  sayings ever "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Edited by diyer2
  • Like 2