2022 Refreshed Sierra-Data Usage

I have a 2022 Refreshed Sierra Denali. I received a complimentary 3GB data plan with the truck. Without using Spotify, Pandora, Google Maps, etc., I burned through the 3GB in 1 week and 1500 km. I called OnStar and they gave me another 3GB as goodwill. I have burned through 2.6GB of that over the course of a couple of weeks.

My WiFi hotspot is turned off so no phone can connect to my truck.

I have never used any of the built in apps directly. Google Maps is on but I have never searched a destination or used the route function.

I have spent over an hour, 5 different times with the OnStar people-they don't have a clue.

Yesterday, the OnStar rep told be that July 18th, shortly after midnight, my truck used a significant amount of data. Strange thing is I was at my friend's cottage with another vehicle and my truck was sitting in my driveway, at home, obviously off.

I can't get any answers from GM so asking for help here.

Scott.

I turned off Google Map Auto Updates this morning. The truck still managed to use 100 MB of data while sitting outside my work-off- in the last 2 hours.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dean

I have exactly the same problems sinds I got my refreshed GMC AT4 in May this year. I burned my 3 gb in a few days, bought another 1.5 GB and they were gone in a few days.  I have been 6 times on the phone with OnStar without results. 
I went without Data Plan and I plucked my I-Phone in with a cable. Without doesn’t work!!!! GMC has wireless charging but not when you like to use your I-Phone map. The all new Dodge has wireless!! Using the cable and my phone for an hour drive, including directions I used 13 MB only, that’s normal.

Once more I bought 1.5 GB data 9 days ago and last Friday (August 19, 2022) again 1.5 GB, as of now 544 MB of the last purchase left. I drove a round 1000 km

Last week I used my GMC wifi hotspot and iPhone maps till Friday.

( I turned off all my iPhone background updates)

Friday I turned off my Wifi Hotspot and all Google apps in the settings but in one trip of 1 hour (65km) I still used 170 mb. I made a few other trips on Friday and Saturday with the same results. I was not using maps or any other application. Not Spotify or any.

This morning I only turned on Maps from google (not using directions) and I used 440 MB for 1 hour and 10 minutes 84 km. I left all other google apps off. And even turned my phone off.

I hope GM and OnStar are reading this.

I always drove GMC trucks but now I feel ripped off.

I would not recommend anyone buying a GMC product equipped with this new system. 
Best Jan

Just use your wifi hotspot on your phone. Connect your infotainment to to your phone hotspot if you want to use the infotainment apps.

Although, there 2 things that I noticed will not function without the GM data plan though

1. speed limit display in the gauge cluster

2. smaller map PIP display will go away

Even with that, I still prefer to use wireless android auto. I have no issues with that while it sits in the wireless charging pad.

I am having the exact same issue. For example…I bought 1.5Gb of data on Saturday at 5pm, drove to the lake (90 minute drive) and parked the truck. Did not use it again until 5pm yesterday…my data ran out 20 minutes into my drive. So that is 1.5Gb in 2 hours of driving. I knew something was weird because every time my plan renewed I would be out of data in a few days. Some of the Google maps functionality does not work without a data plan. I love the new system but it’s not worth it if you need to have a data plan and it goes through data that fast. And I have the system set to NOT allow my phone to use any vehicle data. GM and OnStar really need to address this issue and fast!

27 minutes ago, jan souman said:

Thanks jaxcam02

does it work with iPhone 12 as well.

So for  my understanding (I’m 67) I turn my iphone hotspot on and it will show up on my screen in the truck where I can then enter my password.

Best, Jan

Yes it should operate the same as your home computer and other devices to find available WIFI connections. If you have the hotspot function on your Iphone and turn it on, your truck should be able to see it.

Go to Settings>Connections>Wifi connections.  I think thats the correct navigation in the truck settings. 

These trucks are absolute data hogs with a ton of background data being transmitted continuously.

Edited by jaxcam02