2500 Gasser vs 1500 w/ 6.5' bed

This could be a dumb question (and wrong section), but I have a 7500lb, 30' Jayco travel trailer that I currently pull with my 2018 Chevy Silverado LT Z71 5.5' bed. My wife and I would like to do further camping trips than our usual under 2 hour trips, but the amount of sway I feel with my current truck is a little uncomfortable. Would upgrading pickups with a longer bed/wheelbase be worth it or would I be better off upgrading to a 2500 gasser? The truck is my daily driver, if that matters. Thanks!

With that much weight and the size of the travel trailer going to a 2500/3500 is the only way it's going to feel more planted.

The longer wheel base 1500 is still a 1500 trying to tow 7,500lbs, it's going to feel everything. The curb weight, tires and suspension on a heavy duty truck are going to be far better at towing that amount.

Appreciate the quick replies everyone. I have been heavily leaning towards the 2500 gasser route, but a coworker mentioned looking into a 1500 crew with long bed. I tried googling, but didn't get much information. I need to find out if a 2500 will fit in my garage first. That's a necessity. I'm fine length-wise but will a 2500 clear a 7' garage door?

My mother drives since new a 2000 Ford one ton single wheel 7.3. Her back up is a 98 3/4 ton Ram diesel. She could drive anything but wouldn’t part with either. The roads she travels almost daily are pristine not unusual for Texas. They claim half tons can handle serious weight these days. Anything over a little bit I’m a fifth wheel guy. So there’s that.

7 minutes ago, trojanone1 said:

Appreciate the quick replies everyone. I have been heavily leaning towards the 2500 gasser route, but a coworker mentioned looking into a 1500 crew with long bed. I tried googling, but didn't get much information. I need to find out if a 2500 will fit in my garage first. That's a necessity. I'm fine length-wise but will a 2500 clear a 7' garage door?

For a 2020+up crew cab standard box 4x4, 249.95in long, overall height 79.82in and 105.1in wide mirror to mirror.  

17 minutes ago, newdude said:

For a 2020+up crew cab standard box 4x4, 249.95in long, overall height 79.82in and 105.1in wide mirror to mirror.  

Thanks for the specs. So there's about 4" to spare with a 7' door, but I am assuming antennas would hit?

Ended up just using a truck cover and use it when it is parked in my driveway 3rd spot.

However, got the boat to fit by doing a 4’ pop out of my garage on one side that also doubles as extra storage. Looks like it was originally built that way. Could not extent both sides of the garage since had to meet code for my generator. But if the boat is not in the extended spot, the truck now fits.

40 minutes ago, trojanone1 said:

Thanks for the specs. So there's about 4" to spare with a 7' door, but I am assuming antennas would hit?

It might?  The HD antenna is shorter than the 1500 antenna.  GM has the overall height spec'd to the top of the roof itself.  

1 hour ago, trojanone1 said:

I did a quick search on the forum and found other member's trucks fit, but I'll have to see if a dealer will let me test fit in my garage. Thanks for the info everyone.

If they want to sell you a truck, they will let you take it home for a test fit.

When you "test fit" the truck to your garage, please remember that the HD trucks have (3) different over all tire sizes.

The 17" rims have an over all tire height of around 31.5", the 18" is around 33.1" and the 20" is around 34", meaning the truck could sit about 1.25" higher with 20's vs 17's.

Use an online tire size calculator to verify, but there is quite a difference.  

10 minutes ago, Tom Witnauer said:

When you "test fit" the truck to your garage, please remember that the HD trucks have (3) different over all tire sizes.

The 17" rims have an over all tire height of around 31.5", the 18" is around 33.1" and the 20" is around 34", meaning the truck could sit about 1.25" higher with 20's vs 17's.

Use an online tire size calculator to verify, but there is quite a difference.  

I did not know that so good to know. When I upgraded from 18s to 20s on my truck i think it changed the height by less than .5".